Unfair: Ilios ruins map design - Please fix

General Discussion
Highly Rated
Everybody knows that Ilios Ruins is a popular Widowmaker map. However, whichever side of the map RNGjesus decides to put you on actually matters a lot.

In particular there is one spot that's great for sniping, which is on the roof of the structure which houses the mega health pack next to spawn. It's great because it's on the high ground and offers a great view of part of the point --- that is, for one team.

IMAGE: http://imgur.com/a/Ufz6S

You can clearly see that the tree's are different and that a Widowmaker's view of the point differs tremendously depending on which side of the map you are on. Please fix this @Devs to make the map fair.
I thought this got fixed ages ago
07/24/2017 05:08 PMPosted by Balsty
We're talking about the same game right? Like nothing simple can be fixed in a week. Because moving a object a bit and applying a hotfix has to wait a month.

*Cough*
07/24/2017 05:08 PMPosted by Balsty

Nope.
I like head shotting them with Hanzo at that spot lol
but yeah they might need to fix it a bit
07/24/2017 05:20 PMPosted by Bui
I like head shotting them with Hanzo at that spot lol
but yeah they might need to fix it a bit

Indeed
We'll check it out.

Looking at the map stats, nothing is showing a statistical imbalance. But we'll see if we can bring things more in line.
07/24/2017 05:43 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We'll check it out.

Looking at the map stats, nothing is showing a statistical imbalance. But we'll see if we can bring things more in line.

what about the rest of the game?
Highly Rated
We'll check it out.

Thanks Jeff.

I know it's a very small thing, but every time I play Widowmaker on that map, it affects how I play. I appreciate it.
07/24/2017 05:45 PMPosted by Haspoi
what about the rest of the game?

You know, it's fine creating appropriate threads to voice concerns or suggestions but trying to hi-jack a blue post is the height of bad manners.
Are you expecting to remove that sniping spot or add one for the other side?

Because Widow's life doesn't need to be even harder.
We'll check it out.

LMAO, YOUR KIDDING ME RIGHT? OMG... god help the overwatch team.
We'll check it out.

Can you also look at Widownaker's Odette skin being too much of one color? It's an unfair advantage when you can't tell where the head is because of too much of the same color on the skin leading up from the neck to the top of her feathers.

The opposite version of this skin odelle has the proper amount of color variation, and you can decipher where her head is from far away. With Odette, it's extremely difficult especially when the red outlines circle around the feathers and blend in with the red spider eyes as well.

Throw some color variation around the head please?
There a jump that's impossible to do on the CTF "evening" version of Ruins, on one particular side.

https://gfycat.com/ImmediateAdorableDiamondbackrattlesnake
We'll check it out.

Yes, give both sides the spot.
We'll check it out.

This is a perfect example of you having access to the best stats but having zero idea of how to apply them correctly.

A low-pick-rate character like Widow is not going to swing the stats much even if this was a huge advantage instead of the small one that it is.

Either way, just fix it. It provably exists.
Little did OP know Jeff actually nerfs the left tree.
We'll check it out.

I dont think raw statistics can even offer insight in this particular issue... player kills are pretty much equal for either side of the map, but the location where a player stands when they die/secure a kill, might not be the same.

This was a pretty common phenomenon in Halo's symmetrical maps. https://goo.gl/images/WtA148

The heatmaps for all of Halo's symmetrical maps always showed more trends on one side in specific areas compared to the other corresponding mirrored area, even though the statisical win/loss percentage was roughly the same per map.

In League of Legends by nature of the camera position, kill and death heatmaps also showed more trends on purple side, especially on Bot Lane. http://willtank.com/deaths.html

Where Widow stands, or where her victims stand, however, might be drastically different depending on which side she starts on. Even if it isn't statistically changing the outcomes, it's still a nuisance that players have to play around.

I assume that the dev team has similar heat map tools to track activity? If not, they should really be.

I'm pretty sure that the side with a tree that doesn't block vision, has more Widow deaths on top of the mega-health pack building. Meanwhile, the side with the tree that blocks vision, has Widow die more frequently on the left and right sniping spots.

Side note - can this sort of data be put into the stat-tracking API?
Rofl so this is why sometimes I get counter sniped looking through the same spot..
Hope it gets fixed.