Blizzard LGBTQ council?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
08/11/2017 03:31 PMPosted by johnmcclane
08/11/2017 03:25 PMPosted by Xanik
https://archive.is/n33jz (Kotaku)

This article is only one day old.

It says Blizzard has an LGBTQ council to enforce "diversity". What the heck is an LGBTQ council????
It's fine as long as they aren't crazy like most popular SJWs

true but be honest. blizzard pander like mofo.
08/11/2017 04:43 PMPosted by BnetP1ayer
08/11/2017 03:31 PMPosted by johnmcclane
...It's fine as long as they aren't crazy like most popular SJWs

true but be honest. blizzard pander like mofo.

which is a problem when taken too far.

blizzard still reins it in enough to not go full marvel, who put way too many eggs in the pandering basket and are now in serious trouble. their cinematic leg is holding up the crumbling comic book leg at this point.
Shows why the game has declined since release. Same with all Blizzard games. More concerned about political correctness and diversity than putting out better products.
08/11/2017 04:26 PMPosted by Disco
08/11/2017 04:21 PMPosted by GayCowboy
I think it helps to say that a straight person cannot accurately portray LGBT people without the help of an LGBT person. For example, if you're writing about racism without being a part of a racial minority, you'll need the perspective of a racial minority to truly capture the hardships a person of color can face.

sugar coating bigotry is still bigotry.

empathy and basic observational skills belie this notion.

I understand what you mean (at least i think I do), but i do think you do not undersatnd what he means.
Of course a heterosexual can make a homosexual character and vice versa, but said character might lack some nuances of depth that would make said character more enjoyable for the people wanting such a character.
For example, I'm left handed. If there was a Left handed Hero you could simply make him hold his weapon in his left hand and tada he is left handed.
That would totally fullfill the goal of making a lefthanded Hero. But if that is all then it is something that is really not interesting by itself. Now if they would give him a voiceline or a short panel in the comic in which we hear/read about him beeing annoying about something that is again made for right handed people and as such hardly or not at all usable for left handed people then that would make most left handed players/readers crack a short smile and make the hero more memorable.

It would be the same with for example having glasses, beeing a wine connisieur, being part of LGBT, growing up on a farm, having Depression or what ever else.
If it is important enough to mention it (for what ever reason) give it a small amount of depth that makes others who know about it relate.
blizzard is planning that in the christmas comic reaper had a relationship with the male not the female.
08/11/2017 04:39 PMPosted by isshoman
truth be told I'm always nervous when a topic about LGBT heroes pops up, because a lot of the time it just gets immediately shut down by the forums and it's really heart breaking.

I always wonder who the next LGBT hero is gonna be, and I can't wait to see who it'll be. it's just nice to see them "revealed" and see that they're loved unconditionally regardless, and ultimately helps me feel better about being gay. :-)

I wish healthy discussions about this topic happened more often.

I'm a straight dude and even I'm curious about the next character to be LGBT. I dunno, I like different and change. It'll be something interesting at least, unil we get more lore.

I know this is gonna sound weird but I hope Sombra's Trans...I feel her story, being linked to the fact Chu said not to trust anything she says, as well as her name being hidden and not known would make for the perfect setup.
If they have such, they are doing pretty poor job. The backlash just proved it.

Either way, why putting sexuality in such kind of a game when it isn't even related to the lore in any way? It is like putting [removed] in children's cartoon.

There is not such thing as being represented considering the game doesn't even allow you to make your own character in the way you like it like other games does.

Either way, why putting sexuality in such kind of a game when it isn't even related to the lore in any way? It is like putting p.orn in children's cartoon.

There is not such thing as being represented considering the game doesn't even allow you to make your own character in the way you like it like other games does.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
08/11/2017 04:13 PMPosted by Disco
08/11/2017 04:10 PMPosted by Wraith

You cannot have straight people try and accuratley depict lgbt characters correctly.

?

what you just said is literally bigotry.

Don't know why he was downvoted this is correct.

If I said X race couldn't do Y activity I would be called a racist and rightly so.
08/11/2017 05:12 PMPosted by HANA
Either way, why putting sexuality in such kind of a game when it isn't even related to the lore in any way? It is like putting p.orn in children's cartoon.

I agree. I hate seeing the sprays of Ana with Pharah's father, or Widowmaker with Gerard. Don't even get me started on the flirting between Ana and Reinhardt. They may as well be creating Pharah 2.0 on my screen. They should also remove Widowmaker's entire character, since sexuality shouldn't be in these kinda games and she's so sexualized. McCree's lifeguard skin? Remove it. No characters should even mention being straight, either. I don't want to hear flirting or see canon couples at all. Doesn't belong in a game like this.
08/11/2017 05:12 PMPosted by HANA

Either way, why putting sexuality in such kind of a game when it isn't even related to the lore in any way? It is like putting [removed] in children's cartoon.

Like [removed] in a child's cartoon? So I guess all of those Disney movies with Princesses falling in love with Princes was actually like watching [removed] the whole time because clearly they were showing off heterosexuality at it's finest and in that way, it is linked to automatic indecency of people lustfully procreating. Wow. Never knew.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/
08/11/2017 04:09 PMPosted by DaniGhost
08/11/2017 04:07 PMPosted by Wraith
An LGBT council is a council made up fromthe LGBT community to ensure that all body types, sexualities, and genders are represented correctly and enforced in a video game. that is why overwatch is popular for its diversity and for everysingle person in the world to find one of the characters they realte to one way or another. For me it is Mercy, since I want to be a surgeon and study nanobiolgy and I am nice, but can be a sarcastic !@#$%.

I... don't think an LGBT council would advocate for specific body types..? That's not really what LGBT means nor is it the expertise they're advising about.

LGBT councils tend to be the advocate for everything and make sure everything everyone is represented
08/11/2017 05:32 PMPosted by Wraith
08/11/2017 04:09 PMPosted by DaniGhost
I... don't think an LGBT council would advocate for specific body types..? That's not really what LGBT means nor is it the expertise they're advising about.

LGBT councils tend to be the advocate for everything and make sure everything everyone is represented

That's literally not true at all. An LGBT council / panel would specialize in (surprise!) LGBT topics. That's like saying a Disability council specializes in latina rights. Completely separate and not at all their specialty. If they were a council for making sure everything is represented it wouldn't be called an LGBT council.
Personally, I think the entire thing is questionable, considering the following:

1. It's Kotaku.

2. It's already been deleted.

3. There's no proof of this Blizzard email anywhere, and it's hard to trust that they even received an email from Blizzard. Why? See '1'.

4. The last time a "Blizzard sent someone an email" thing happened, it was the whole "Mercy is married to Roadhog" joke that turned out to be entirely fake and not from Blizzard at all.

5. I feel like if Blizzard had an entire council devoted to this subject, we'd see a lot more of it in the game besides a single comic that's since garnered serious backlash.

6. People are already leaving Overwatch, including famous players. The last thing Blizzard needs right now is to jump back into the controversy spotlight.
well basically op a bunch of people decided that religion was lame so in their innate human struggle for belief in some kind of system they replaced their religion with this thing called communism and then eventually communism caught a really bad reputation for killing hundreds of millions of people so they took the basic tenants of the ideology and called its socical justice, where instead of "class consciousness" and proletariat vs the bourgeoisie strugge, you have "white privilege" and racial consciousnesses and it's minorities vs white men

people were too stupid to realize that social justice is just communism with races swapped for classes so they let it fester for a long time until you have nu-marxist organizations like the diversity police and the inclusion gestapo

hope i could help op
08/11/2017 05:39 PMPosted by RaxuRngrking
Personally, I think the entire thing is questionable, considering the following:

1. It's Kotaku.

2. It's already been deleted.

3. There's no proof of this Blizzard email anywhere, and it's hard to trust that they even received an email from Blizzard. Why? See '1'.

4. The last time a "Blizzard sent someone an email" thing happened, it was the whole "Mercy is married to Roadhog" joke that turned out to be entirely fake and not from Blizzard at all.

5. I feel like if Blizzard had an entire council devoted to this subject, we'd see a lot more of it in the game besides a single comic that's since garnered serious backlash.

6. People are already leaving Overwatch, including famous players. The last thing Blizzard needs right now is to jump back into the controversy spotlight.

I thought the last time they did it was when it was revealed that Symmetra was autistic?
08/11/2017 05:37 PMPosted by DaniGhost
08/11/2017 05:32 PMPosted by Wraith

That's literally not true at all. An LGBT council / panel would specialize in (surprise!) LGBT topics. That's like saying a Disability council specializes in latina rights. Completely separate and not at all their specialty. If they were a council for making sure everything is represented it wouldn't be called an LGBT council.

LGBT council isnt always made up of LGBT. Companies tend to take the name LGBT coucil because the LGBT community is the most widly opressed so it give them good publicity. They tend to have more then just the LGBT Community on them.
Whatever they are. They need to tell us that McCree is gay, and fast. (Just kidding don't hurt me) I'm glad there taking the effort to avoid offense, and I think this is the best way to go about it.
LGBTQ?

They added another letter? What's next? LGBTQR? LGBTQP? LGBTQF? LGBTWHWNDU? LGBTQABCDEF?
its an SJW club.