Why people hate Mercy mains in High Ranks

Competitive Discussion
(Yes I am a Mercy main. I do not want to seem like I'm whining. I'm just trying to share my thoughts on where all this hatred for Mercy players came from, so please hear me out.)

All the first person shooter games you've played have probably taught you the most basic and important skill, aim. All fps games have revolved around aim, and whoever had the best aim would just automatically be the best. Which makes sense, seeing as its a shooter game. it's about shooting. But I truly believe Overwatch is VERY different than any other shooter game out there. it's different in that it's not all centered around who has the best aim. Of course, aim is a huge part of playing the game for most people. But then there are heroes like Reinhardt for example that DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A GUN. He's a tank with a shield to protect his team and a hammer you can just swing in the direction of your target to hit them. Playing Reinhardt is about positioning, tanking, and being there to protect your team. He's new. He's original. And he's in an fps game. But you don't need to have good aim to play him.

Mercy is a very different a new character as well. Now, a lot of people who pay Overwatch have played fps games before, and have background experience. and again, 99% of other shooters are all about aiming. But in Overwatch, aim is not the only skill out there. Playing mercy does not require any aim, but it does require positioning, smart ult usage, good target priorities, evasion, and game sense. When people think of high ranked Overwatch players, a lot of people think "They must have very good aim!" and then they think of Mercy players. "Well, they don't need to aim, so it's easy. Mercy is easy." But that's because when they think "good" they think "good aim".
My point is, people hate high ranked Mercy players because they don't like the idea of someone who can't aim being at the top. When they don't realize the other skills that Overwatch requires for some of it's heroes.

I hope I did not come across as just another Mercy main !@#$%ing about how Mercy isn't easy. That was not my intent. I would love to hear others thoughts on this. Thanks for reading.
Except mercy still needs some aim and I am so confused why people and even mercy players think she doesn't???
What do you do when there are flankers on you and you can't GA to someone?

If you are a masters / GM / top 500 mercy, I am betting the legit ones who got there have aim but do like to take care of their teams so they prefer to heal and mercy is kind of a fun healer.

Heck every rank of mercy should have some aim.
They are mad not at the actual hero. But instead that they only play that hero and they can't and don't play any other heroes. So if there are more than one mercy main in a match. It's a 5 1/2 vs 6. They also don't like how the system allowed them to get to top 500 with a sub 50% winrate.
08/13/2017 03:53 PMPosted by Lilshark99
They are mad not at the actual hero. But instead that they only play that hero and they can't and don't play any other heroes. So if there are more than one mercy main in a match.

Please. I play Mercy at the tier she's the most saturated in, and I've seen more Genji one tricks on one team than Mercy

They also don't like how the system allowed them to get to top 500 with a sub 50% winrate.

Still a myth that never happened.
[quote="207570492234"]

Please. I play Mercy at the tier she's the most saturated in, and I've seen more Genji one tricks on one team than Mercy

In silver there aren't as many mercy mains of course. But check overbuff. She is the most used character in all tiers. And there is video evidence of sub 50% mercy mains who were dps mains in bronze then tried mercy and got to grandmaster.
08/13/2017 03:48 PMPosted by Kanon06
Except mercy still needs some aim and I am so confused why people and even mercy players think she doesn't???
What do you do when there are flankers on you and you can't GA to someone?

If you are a masters / GM / top 500 mercy, I am betting the legit ones who got there have aim but do like to take care of their teams so they prefer to heal and mercy is kind of a fun healer.

Heck every rank of mercy should have some aim.

well of course pulling out her pistol to deal with flankers when you're alone is important, but 99% of the time she does not require aim. But yes I understand your point.
08/13/2017 04:15 PMPosted by Lilshark99
[quote]

In silver there aren't as many mercy mains of course. But check overbuff. She is the most used character in all tiers. And there is video evidence of sub 50% mercy mains who were dps mains in bronze then tried mercy and got to grandmaster.

Last I checked, there are more Mercy mains in the Silver/Gold region than any other.

And no, there are salty streamers who saw boosted players using Mercy snd jumped to conclusions. There are less Mercys climbing with negative winrates than most other characters. Particularly, Ana and McCree.
They are mad not at the actual hero. But instead that they only play that hero and they can't and don't play any other heroes. So if there are more than one mercy main in a match. It's a 5 1/2 vs 6. They also don't like how the system allowed them to get to top 500 with a sub 50% winrate.

You're right, but that's a whole different topic. And no, a lot of people are mad that the hero even exists in an fps or that anyone in high ranks mains her.

Last I checked, there are more Mercy mains in the Silver/Gold region than any other.

And no, there are salty streamers who saw boosted players using Mercy snd jumped to conclusions. There are less Mercys climbing with negative winrates than most other characters. Particularly, Ana and McCree.

Where did you find that Ana and McCree are climbing with sub 50% winrates? I can't find anything on it. And if people are one tricking Ana and McCree, they can also play characters like soldier, widow, and zenyatta.
08/13/2017 04:26 PMPosted by Apotheos1s

You're right, but that's a whole different topic. And no, a lot of people are mad that the hero even exists in an fps or that anyone in high ranks mains her.

True, however I want to put it into terms that makes sense to them.
08/13/2017 04:37 PMPosted by Lilshark99

Where did you find that Ana and McCree are climbing with sub 50% winrates? I can't find anything on it. And if people are one tricking Ana and McCree, they can also play characters like soldier, widow, and zenyatta.

During the period of time where everyone was complaining about Mercy, she was (on average) sitting comfortably in the Masters/GM range with one of the higher winrates, near 57% at one point.

On the other hand, Ana and McCree were around 40%. Even currently, Ana has a 47% winrate in Master currently, while McCree is only barely above 50%. Mercy, however, is still comfortably above 50% in both ranks.

----

Also, I'd like to note that the complaints were made at the START of Season 5, where sub-50% winrates were everywhere. Someone else did the math on these forums, and during the time period where the Mercy hate started, Tracer and Soldier were BY FAR the most one-tricked sub-50 characters in the top ranks. Mercy one-tricks that fit the description could be counted on one hand.

However, as the season aged, ALL of the sub-50 rates evened out. Including the non-boosted Mercys. The boosted ones, of course, either fell out of the ranks or stopped playing.
It's because when the team has Genji/Tracer and the enemy has a Pharah, you yell at us to get hitscan. But when you're playing mercy and constantly getting picked, getting no value from rez, and we ask you to swap, there's no other hero you can hang with at that level.

You're just another one trick that when countered means you're dead weight to the team because you don't have mechanical skill that can be applied to another hero.

What Sym/torb/Mei/hanzo/junkrat one tricks are to the DPS world, mercy mains are to the healer world.
She's significantly easier to play than most other heroes for how much of an impact rez has. All a mercy has to do is get rez then wait for a 2 man.
08/13/2017 04:51 PMPosted by kitten
It's because when the team has Genji/Tracer and the enemy has a Pharah, you yell at us to get hitscan. But when you're playing mercy and constantly getting picked, getting no value from rez, and we ask you to swap, there's no other hero you can hang with at that level.

You're just another one trick that when countered means you're dead weight to the team because you don't have mechanical skill that can be applied to another hero.

Always funny how the bad Mercys are always on YOUR team, while the enemy Mercys are somehow immortal because of GA.
It's much harder to kill a mercy than it is to evade a DPS player unless it's half the team diving.

Mercy is a brainless hero that has one job, to hide, and otherwise is an extremely barebones design that is utterly lacking.
08/13/2017 04:52 PMPosted by Succubus
08/13/2017 04:51 PMPosted by kitten

Always funny how the bad Mercys are always on YOUR team, while the enemy Mercys are somehow immortal because of GA.

A mercy main is surprisingly in silver. You must be doing something wrong. A !@#$ing amoeba could play mercy.
08/13/2017 04:57 PMPosted by BJoker
08/13/2017 04:52 PMPosted by Succubus

A mercy main is surprisingly in silver. You must be doing something wrong. A !@#$ing amoeba could play mercy.

Oh look. Someone with no substantial argument except ad hominems.

Stay salty.
That's not why they hate mercy mains at higher ranks.

It's because they climbed 1-2 ranks / 1000-2000 SR with a below 50% winrate while many others on this forum struggle to climb out of Diamond even with 55% winrate.

"Why is this a problem? Can't they improve?"

How is it improving if you're losing more games than winning? Also we're talking about high ranks here. People don't blow all their ults into a team fight anymore, they keep 1-2 in reserve for the obvious rezz that's coming or hunts down the mercy first.

There's tons of proof on YouTube, OW stream VODs and about 1-2 months ago, there were numerous mercy mains with 44% winrate in Top 500. Most of them have dropped out of it.

You know it's a problem when there are mercy mains in diamond with 55% winrate yet they can't even hit Masters. It just makes no sense that a player can climb despite losing more games than winning.
08/13/2017 05:04 PMPosted by Hiyochan
There's tons of proof on YouTube, OW stream VODs and about 1-2 months ago

No. There's tons of salty streamers/youtubers jumping to conclusions for clickbait.

I checked almost every example those jokers demonstrated, and most of them were clearly examples of boosting.

For example, here's Ching, the most famous one. A Mercy player with a 20% winrate in Master. Notice how he's losing roughly 40 SR per game.

Also notice how he never actually GOT to Master with Mercy. He suspiciously shot up to Master with Genji in Season 4. https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Ching-11943/season/4
08/13/2017 05:08 PMPosted by Succubus
08/13/2017 05:04 PMPosted by Hiyochan
There's tons of proof on YouTube, OW stream VODs and about 1-2 months ago

No. There's tons of salty streamers/youtubers jumping to conclusions for clickbait.
They Actually show screenshots of their sr jumping from silver or gold to gm when they swapped to Mercy.