Why people hate Mercy mains in High Ranks

Competitive Discussion
08/13/2017 05:00 PMPosted by Succubus
08/13/2017 04:57 PMPosted by BJoker
A mercy main is surprisingly in silver. You must be doing something wrong. A !@#$ing amoeba could play mercy.

Oh look. Someone with no substantial argument except ad hominems.

Stay salty.
people use mercy to boost and she's so !@#$ing easy. I'm genuinely surprised that you're still in silver after 18 hours of mercy this comp season. Do you have any brain cells?
08/13/2017 04:51 PMPosted by kitten
It's because when the team has Genji/Tracer and the enemy has a Pharah, you yell at us to get hitscan. But when you're playing mercy and constantly getting picked, getting no value from rez, and we ask you to swap, there's no other hero you can hang with at that level.

You're just another one trick that when countered means you're dead weight to the team because you don't have mechanical skill that can be applied to another hero.

What Sym/torb/Mei/hanzo/junkrat one tricks are to the DPS world, mercy mains are to the healer world.

I'm not a one trick, though I know many Mercy one tricks are out there. I play tons of other heroes on my other 2 accounts such as Tracer, Lucio, Junkrat, Ana ect. On this account I've tried to play Mercy only to see how far I can get with her, but if the team asks for something else I can usually fill.
08/13/2017 05:10 PMPosted by BJoker
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Stay salty.
people use mercy to boost and she's so !@#$ing easy. I'm genuinely surprised that you're still in silver after 18 hours of mercy this comp season. Do you have any brain cells?

Stay salty

08/13/2017 05:10 PMPosted by TwentyTwo77
08/13/2017 05:08 PMPosted by Succubus

No. There's tons of salty streamers/youtubers jumping to conclusions for clickbait.
They Actually show screenshots of their sr jumping from silver or gold to gm when they swapped to Mercy.

See my edit on the previous page.
You're just another one trick that when countered means you're dead weight to the team because you don't have mechanical skill that can be applied to another hero.

As an ex-Mercy main I'm actually going to agree with this fellow. I remember a game in silver where Mercy got picked first and I didn't know what the heck to do. We lost that game.

Now I "one trick" Torb, but I can flex to Orisa or Lucio as required. As a team mate of mine was saying, Lucio's never a bad pick. I also break out Bastion to have hitscan vs. Pharah (Soldier's normally picked every time already). His recon rifle is surprisingly accurate.

A mercy main is surprisingly in silver. You must be doing something wrong. A !@#$ing amoeba could play mercy.

I actually found Mercy the hardest hero to play in many ways. Having to keep in mind where everybody is at all times and get !@#$ from toxic team mates who over extend and you leave them to die. Lucio you just switch auras and bounce around and Torb sets up his turret and lobs molten metal at roughly enemy head height.

Stay salty.

Please don't make this thread full of toxicity. My entire post was about how Mercy isn't easy. None of the heroes are "easy".
08/13/2017 05:12 PMPosted by Gazzor

As an ex-Mercy main I'm actually going to agree with this fellow. I remember a game in silver where Mercy got picked first and I didn't know what the heck to do. We lost that game.

Now I "one trick" Torb, but I can flex to Orisa or Lucio as required. As a team mate of mine was saying, Lucio's never a bad pick. I also break out Bastion to have hitscan vs. Pharah (Soldier's normally picked every time already). His recon rifle is surprisingly accurate.

I actually found Mercy the hardest hero to play in many ways. Having to keep in mind where everybody is at all times and get !@#$ from toxic team mates who over extend and you leave them to die. Lucio you just switch auras and bounce around and Torb sets up his turret and lobs molten metal at roughly enemy head height.

As I mentioned before, I'm not a one trick. I play many heroes over my other 2 accounts. I made this account to see how far I could climb while playing only Mercy, BUT, when the team asks me to switch, I can usually fill.

With Mercy in silver you're at the mercy (Please pardon the pun) of your dps. If they can't get kills you ain't gonna win. I actually found her easier to play in gold, after Torb got me there, -assists occurred far more frequently.

In season 4 I got so fed up of being stuck in silver that I started maining Torb to advance. Got me my gold rank.
08/13/2017 05:20 PMPosted by Gazzor

With Mercy in silver you're at the mercy (Please pardon the pun) of your dps. If they can't get kills you ain't gonna win. I actually found her easier to play in gold, after Torb got me there, -assists occurred far more frequently.

In season 4 I got so fed up of being stuck in silver that I started maining Torb to advance. Got me my gold rank.

Yep. I did the same trick in Season 2. Mained Pharah for a while, and then Torb. Got Gold easy.
As I mentioned before, I'm not a one trick. I play many heroes over my other 2 accounts. I made this account to see how far I could climb while playing only Mercy, BUT, when the team asks me to switch, I can usually fill.

Alas, I was. And I can understand why some other Mercy's get tarred with the same brush.
08/13/2017 04:37 PMPosted by Lilshark99

Last I checked, there are more Mercy mains in the Silver/Gold region than any other.

And no, there are salty streamers who saw boosted players using Mercy snd jumped to conclusions. There are less Mercys climbing with negative winrates than most other characters. Particularly, Ana and McCree.

Where did you find that Ana and McCree are climbing with sub 50% winrates? I can't find anything on it. And if people are one tricking Ana and McCree, they can also play characters like soldier, widow, and zenyatta.

Where is your data that shows EVERY Mercy climbs with a negative winrate?
It's because when the team has Genji/Tracer and the enemy has a Pharah, you yell at us to get hitscan. But when you're playing mercy and constantly getting picked, getting no value from rez, and we ask you to swap, there's no other hero you can hang with at that level.

What Sym/torb/Mei/hanzo/junkrat one tricks are to the DPS world, mercy mains are to the healer world.

i like how your dps example it's just that the other team gets a pharah, but the mercy example it's the player being bad, lol. One tricks are everywhere, mercy is not alone in this, mercy is just the only one people complain about. Anyone watch the world cup games? even stylosa points out that mistakes (the player on russia, not a mess up) should have switched from tracer to soldier to counter pharah of canada, but he didn't because he is a tracer one trick.
08/13/2017 05:04 PMPosted by Hiyochan
There's tons of proof on YouTube, OW stream VODs and about 1-2 months ago, there were numerous mercy mains with 44% winrate in Top 500. Most of them have dropped out of it.

there where 3, and those 3 went from bronze to masters.
The most famous one is that fallenangel one or something of the sorts and I dont want to call them out but they are in youtube videos and honestly that mercy player was boosted. that has nothing to do with gains or then climbing while having a neg winrate, nothing is broken for these.

Those mercys sure, they need to be hated but if for 3-4 seasons they did a steady climb, they went diamond masters and maybe GM they worked for it they deserve their rank.
08/13/2017 04:52 PMPosted by Succubus

Always funny how the bad Mercys are always on YOUR team, while the enemy Mercys are somehow immortal because of GA.

Agree. Honestly I think sometimes when people want to low key throw they play main healer and do a bad job on purpose. Easier to discretely throw than playing DPS.
08/13/2017 05:35 PMPosted by jedc22

i like how your dps example it's just that the other team gets a pharah, but the mercy example it's the player being bad, lol. One tricks are everywhere, mercy is not alone in this, mercy is just the only one people complain about. Anyone watch the world cup games? even stylosa points out that mistakes (the player on russia, not a mess up) should have switched from tracer to soldier to counter pharah of canada, but he didn't because he is a tracer one trick.

Exactly. When someone playing Tracer needs to go hitscan they're more likely to be able to flex to that role than a mercy main being asked to play Ana or zen.

The problem is that it's acceptable for mercy mains to ask DPS to swap but when DPS asks mercy to swap, it's all they can play.

Like when you have a one trick window and the enemy team consists of Genji Tracer Winston dva.
No. It's because Mercy is a burden and unfun.
She never is the best choice, she is offmeta. A ton of people playing her doesn't change that. She doesn't fit into dive or triple tank, the 2 last metas which spanned almost a year now.
Playing with a Mercy on your team forces you to play differently. And not in a good way. You can't be as agressive as a tank or dps, simply because you either lack speedboost, discord or burst healing by Ana.
And Rezz is a really unfun mechanic. No one wants to die, just to maybe get rezzed when the Mercy manages to press Q before dying when any other healer could have prevented your death.
Sure, she doesn't take much skill, but neither does Winston and noone really complains about him. Because he doesn't force you to play in a way that is unfun.
And Rezz is a really unfun mechanic. No one wants to die, just to maybe get rezzed when the Mercy manages to press Q before dying when any other healer could have prevented your death.

Her ult is super counterintuitive. If she's doing a great job, you're never going to use it. And the worse a job she does (The more people that die), the better her ult is as more people rezzed.

I've seen Canada beat Russia at WCs with Pharmercy in decider round, but otherwise any team using her has gotten spanked (Not seen all games though - so am prepared to be corrected).

Would be nice to see her have a rework. Maybe a healing orb type mechanic, so she could still fire her sweet little pistol more. Make her better overall, but depower the rez to a lowish number of team mates, so she doesn't just cower like a !@#$% when ult charged ready for phat rez.
She definitely needs some fixing, IMO.
Watch New Zealand team play in world cup group stages.

Their main healer is a Mercy main. Everything bad about high rank mercy main is on display right there.

It was quite painful to watch. He could not play ana or zen effectively. Wrong nano targets, late nano, not a single trans on zen, wrong orb targets, gets picked off by a mccree that walked behind him without noticing.

When he's on mercy he has no synergy with team mates and gets dived by winston and just dies. He was overall a burden to NZ national team, and it sucks being a New Zealander to see that.

I mean that was the highest ranked mercy in NA server..... Really really horrible performance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/69rann/1_on_na_server_as_mercy_main_yay/

And heres him boasting about his rank on reddit.

Stay salty.

I tried maining Mercy at the start of the season, but for some reason I just had countless bad games with her and ended up with a win percentage of around 35%. I was in platinum hell until I decided to stop playing her.

I guess not everyone can do well with her, somehow.
08/13/2017 06:38 PMPosted by Stebung
Watch New Zealand team play in world cup group stages.

Their main healer is a Mercy main. Everything bad about high rank mercy main is on display right there.

It was quite painful to watch. He could not play ana or zen effectively. Wrong nano targets, late nano, not a single trans on zen, wrong orb targets, gets picked off by a mccree that walked behind him without noticing.

When he's on mercy he has no synergy with team mates and gets dived by winston and just dies. He was overall a burden to NZ national team, and it sucks being a New Zealander to see that.

I mean that was the highest ranked mercy in NA server..... Really really horrible performance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/69rann/1_on_na_server_as_mercy_main_yay/

And heres him boasting about his rank on reddit.

Well, Cantus kinda is a special case, he cheesed his way to the top by playing in 6 stack late at night on the hero with the highest SR gain. But yeah, you don't become good at the game or a pro by playing Mercy.
I don't really like when a team has a mercy as they don't contribute enough to team fights. Zen, Lucio and to a lesser extent Ana can heal and dps at the same time.

Mercy can only heal or damage boost zen can do both at once and also put out a tonne of damage.

Talented Zen > talented Mercy > useless mercy > useless zen