Remove Perfomance Based SR gains/losses

General Discussion
It seems that system quickly detects smurfs and place them to their true place sooner than a pure win/lose one.
08/06/2017 12:41 PMPosted by HK47

Pretty sure OP already said why but you're ignoring his argument.

He might be right that this guy actually is just trolling.

And I'm pretty sure OP spoke in nothing but vagaries, while I'm asking for specifics. All he did is mention other people's arguments on reddit, blog sites, and youtube videos that he didn't even bother to post. That is not an argument. And even despite this, I was still perfectly willing to discuss it with him before he started namecalling.

And yeah, I'm choosing not to respond to someone who feels the need to insult me. I've also reported his posts. If you think that's trolling, then you don't have to speak with me either. All I'm interested in is an adult discussion, and a skill rating system that prioritizes individual performance. I'm perfectly fine not talking with people who have to immediately accuse anyone they come across as trolling. I'm being civil, and if you can't manage to do the same you shouldn't be participating on the forums.
08/06/2017 12:43 PMPosted by Karakazan
It seems that system quickly detects smurfs and place them to their true place sooner than a pure win/lose one.

This is a valid concern.

Blizzard does use statistics to detect throwers. Smurfs and throwers are outliers in this system. I believe this could be applied to such cases while not applying to normal players.

Or blizzard could just get serious about smurfing and do IP and MAC address checks and flag accounts as possible smurfs and adjust SR accordingly without ruining the +x amount on win/-x amount on loss.
08/06/2017 12:47 PMPosted by Elfcrippler
while I'm asking for specifics. All he did is mention other people's arguments on reddit, blog sites, and youtube videos that he didn't even bother to post.

no you didnt ask actually

https://mindgames.blog/2017/06/22/in-defense-of-purist-skill-rating/comment-page-1/
primary article

https://youtu.be/B48hG6xX0gU
interview with guy who made the article

there you go
08/06/2017 12:49 PMPosted by briG
08/06/2017 12:43 PMPosted by Karakazan

This is a valid concern.

Blizzard does use statistics to detect throwers. Smurfs and throwers are outliers in this system. I believe this could be applied to such cases while not applying to normal players.

Or blizzard could just get serious about smurfing and do IP and MAC address checks and flag accounts as possible smurfs and adjust SR accordingly without ruining the +x amount on win/-x amount on loss.

These flagged accounts would have to be removed from the ladder, or share SR with the other accounts that are active under the same IP. I definitely think this is how they should approach this issue. It's either shared SR, or automatically being removed from the ladder on the alternate accounts so they don't end up filling slots in top 500 especially. They could undoubtedly monitor all of this to clean up competitive and maintain structure.
08/06/2017 12:39 PMPosted by Elfcrippler
08/06/2017 12:21 PMPosted by Feculator
Agree with OP. Accounting for individual performance sounds good on paper, but we've seen several flaws now.

Flaws that cannot be ironed out? If we believe Blizzard capable of fixing things like character balance or the reporting function, why not give them the benefit of the doubt to fix this?

No matter how accurate the algorythm is, once players find out the stats that affect it, they'll exploit it. Being effective in a game is simply not entirely a question of numbers and math (e.g. a Rein might have 50k damage blocked, but he was parked in front of a turret the entire time).

Not to mention balance patches throwing the math out of whack, because not all balance changes are quantifiable with numbers until they've been out for a week or two at least.
Individual performance rating shouldn't be used in a team competitive game. It just goes against team play for selfish play to grind up. Keep it simple with wins vs loss amount or save the SR point distribution for Top 500 only. This system doesn't work in a game where you are meant to switch a hero on the fly.