Overwatch League Spectating

General Discussion
I have been watching the pro scene since this game launched. The only real gripe I have had with the spectating is trying to follow which team is blue and which is red. If Blizzard is trying to get casual fans to sit and watch a match that constantly switches what color team they may be rooting for, it will be confusing and frustrating. Maybe just having the home team be red and away blue would be a better experience than the current system.
Yes, please. I always have to look up and be like "oh x team is blue now". Keep them the same for every map until all matches are over.

Friend who just got into watching them was super confused.
they have blue and red highlights around the characters, you can see them through the wall aswell, it's pretty easy to keep track tbh
08/07/2017 10:14 AMPosted by KingKabab
they have blue and red highlights around the characters, you can see them through the wall aswell, it's pretty easy to keep track tbh

How does that help tell you what team is blue and which is red? When "X" team is blue one map and red the next. Highlights around character don't scream team name. New players and casual viewers will have a frustrating time trying to keep track.
08/07/2017 09:47 AMPosted by Nagrom
I have been watching the pro scene since this game launched. The only real gripe I have had with the spectating is trying to follow which team is blue and which is red. If Blizzard is trying to get casual fans to sit and watch a match that constantly switches what color team they may be rooting for, it will be confusing and frustrating. Maybe just having the home team be red and away blue would be a better experience than the current system.

We're working on a better team coloring system right now. We've put significant efforts against this issue. We agree, it's a top issue and there are a lot of areas for improvement. Our results and progress has been really good and I have faith the team will deliver something that raises the quality of the experience significantly.
08/07/2017 10:17 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We're working on a better team coloring system right now. We've put significant efforts against this issue. We agree, it's a top issue and there are a lot of areas for improvement. Our results and progress has been really good and I have faith the team will deliver something that raises the quality of the experience significantly.

surrogating post for likes or dislikes

I think you guys should get rid of blue and red colors all together.

you should use other colors so we don't think of good guy bad guy color.

Also, you should color the "ultimate" logo in the middle of the screen to the team of the color.. that's the closest thing to what we watch and it's always blue so we always assume its the blue team while in the mist of the action.

it wouldn't hurt them if you gave each team specific color skin as well of at least their guns.

Is there an ETA right now? Also are their any specifics?

This is another reason I love this game. You guys are amazing at keeping in touch with the community. Thank you for the reply. I look forward to the Overwatch League.
A big part of the issue for me when watching is that I'm used to the "red players" be the ones that need to be shot, same when watching others stream. When I see the first person view of someone in the pro scene and I see them ignoring the red players, it takes me aback a little bit. Perhaps an entirely new set of colors would work better?
Seems like it would be simple enough to always have Defense be blue and Attack be red.
08/07/2017 10:21 AMPosted by HappyFeet
Seems like it would be simple enough to always have Defense be blue and Attack be red.

I don't think that completely solves the issue. Would be easier to just designate one team a color and keep it that way the whole match. They also could assign colors to teams like any other pro sport.

Cheers! I hope it's resolved by OW World Cup semi-finals!

Damn, Jeff wastes no time replying to something Esport related, but wont throw console users a bone. lol

Give us the option in-game to change our color to red (Ally) and Blue (Enemy).
Easy, just make it shirts vs skins...
I noticed they are finally showing the POV of support players more often. For that am I thankful.

Seeing both team in different colors would be amazing and I will look forward to that.
08/07/2017 10:20 AMPosted by Plumse
A big part of the issue for me when watching is that I'm used to the "red players" be the ones that need to be shot, same when watching others stream.

This. I still feel like a jerk for getting a little excited when my sis' bf got killed because all I was seeing was red, and when a red Mercy dies it's a Good Thing.

In WoW arena I think they use yellow and green, which I personally think are too similar, especially when the colors are that muted. Having colors other than red and blue would be a good start though.

Or they could make base skin recolors specifically for teams, since they seem to want to go all out with OWL, that'd be the best way to do it.
I think different colors completely is the best option. For anyone who plays OW (which is most likely a large portion of people who would watch a professional OW match), seeing red borders makes you think it is an enemy. Having one side be orange and another be green (for example) would help to alleviate this.

Additionally, please keep the colors the same for the entire series of matches. Nothing is more confusing than seeing South Korea be Blue on King's Row and then they are Red on Nepal.

Finally, when watching some of the WC Qualifier matches this weekend, I was confused by who was attacking and who was defending. Maybe make the border of the objective match the color of the defending team would make it easier to tell who was doing what without thinking about it too much.
I just wanna select my PoV myself thats all, I have no interest watching Genji for 5 seconds then Tracer for 5 seconds even if they get frags.

I would rather watch everything unfold from Zens PoV with a spectator wallhack.