Anyone actually still care about rank

Competitive Discussion
If you watch twitch or any streaming, you know it doesn't matter what rank you are it's all the same. So why even care?
It's an arbitrary number, given by an online ranking system. Yes I know, things a scrub would say. But I'm having fun, that's all that matters. Whether you're bronze or top500, if you're not having fun, move on.
Nope.

I mean, it's actually worse if you are higher ranked, where nobody gives you recognition because the core of the SR system is nonsense. It's a shame.
08/26/2017 08:21 AMPosted by KelRiever
Nope.

I mean, it's actually worse if you are higher ranked, where nobody gives you recognition because the core of the SR system is nonsense. It's a shame.

It's not the system holding people back. Majority of players can improve and move up the ranks. Please don't blame the "system".
Right now... nope. End of the season, no one gives a damn anymore. But even since july the insta lock DPS syndrome has been happening so I don't know, I think competitive is getting to a point of no return.
I was so close to platinum but after 10+ I'm one or two wins away and dropped, don't care anymore. I'd most likely grind the best out of it on the last day, after all I'm only trying to gain more cp
I think competitive pub play doesnt suite this game and solo queue just should not be available at all.

I also think the playerbase in general places too much on this one game mode, streams, most popular etc. really it should be arcade not comp.
08/26/2017 08:25 AMPosted by Anointedone
Nope.

It's not the system holding people back. Majority of players can improve and move up the ranks. Please don't blame the "system".

No, it is the system.

You can move up ranks, that's true, but that doesn't mean it isn't flawed. Or fair. But really, the most important problem with the SR system is the way it is designed, it sucks the fun out of a great game. Literally comp is better without, the way it is designed.

That's what's a shame for good players. The way the SR system is, it gives everyone the excuse to say they got their rank through luck, or playing off meta heroes, or whatever. Because those are the flaws with the system. It also gives bad players excuses for thinking they're good players, misplaced in rank.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No, it is the system.

You can move up ranks, that's true, but that doesn't mean it isn't flawed. Or fair. But really, the most important problem with the SR system is the way it is designed, it sucks the fun out of a great game. Literally comp is better without, the way it is designed.

That's what's a shame for good players. The way the SR system is, it gives everyone the excuse to say they got their rank through luck, or playing off meta heroes, or whatever. Because those are the flaws with the system. It also gives bad players excuses for thinking they're good players, misplaced in rank.

I never said the "system" was perfect, I'm just saying it gets really old hearing people blame it for being placed in bronze/silver/plat. There's a reason a large portion of the same people make it to top500 every season. If they weren't boosted, they're just better players at a way higher skill level. Sure, you see the one trick Mercys in GM/top500, but you also see Mercys in low tiers who suck. So if it was so easy to one trick Mercy to top 500, why isn't everyone doing it?
Nope, mainly because the number has a fairly bad accuracy. Why? Toxicity that exists for one, deliberate de-rankers who skew matches, people who insist on doing bronze to GM for example (who also skew things), people who suddenly play a hero they have little to no experience with and end up doing poorly, leavers, throwers... basically all of which can skew matches for other players. Unless you're consistently in a large group, with the same people, you can't really consider the skill rating value as fairly accurate.

While such flaws exist the best option is just to play, ignore/mute chat or toxicity in the chat, try to do your best and what you feel is best for the team at the time, practice and finally ignore the skill rating. Pretty much what I'll be doing from season 6 for some time.

EDIT: Thanks for the downvote, prob from a M/GM rank.
Losers are more inclined not to care. Streamers might not care as much because they tend to be very highly ranked and stay there, but even if they don't say much they do care about where in the top 500 they are or whether they are gm or top 500. TimTheTatMan has to say he doesn't care because he falls into master even with help.

08/26/2017 08:25 AMPosted by Anointedone
Nope.

Of course. The guy who is unfamiliar with the core of the sr system actually being an established norm is the only one dealing with nonsense.
seagull the golden boy for overwatch finished the season at around 3400 roughly
hmmmmm, think about that.

blizz just let their game fall apart and the buzz has gone,

now its just cheap tricks of character reworks, nerfs and buffs, to try stay relevant
but the core gameplay and teamwork still doesn't work

i think they forgot what their game was about

i agree with what someone else said, arcade is the best mode for this game, especially mystery heroes style of gameplay
I still think the biggest reason for tilt is bad team comps - usually nobody wants to heal. If we just let all heroes heal certain amount at baseline and rid the "support" class. That may help with this.
08/26/2017 01:01 PMPosted by samanouske69
I still think the biggest reason for tilt is bad team comps - usually nobody wants to heal. If we just let all heroes heal certain amount at baseline and rid the "support" class. That may help with this.

I agree, this is what Paladins does actually (though they still have healers too).
08/26/2017 12:52 PMPosted by lepistole

now its just cheap tricks of character reworks, nerfs and buffs, to try stay relevant

i agree with what someone else said, arcade is the best mode for this game, especially mystery heroes style of gameplay

I dont think that is a thing, and if it is it must be because of SR decay for sure, not because of losses.
08/27/2017 01:19 AMPosted by MainDVa
08/26/2017 12:52 PMPosted by lepistole

I dont think that is a thing, and if it is it must be because of SR decay for sure, not because of losses.

your missing the point

the BLIZZ poster boy does not care about his
SR / rank/ COMP

so he let it decay

you all reading the title of this thread
08/26/2017 08:39 AMPosted by LittleTako
I was so close to platinum but after 10+ I'm one or two wins away and dropped, don't care anymore. I'd most likely grind the best out of it on the last day, after all I'm only trying to gain more cp
You will get platinum for sure if you were close to it at end of season.

The last 2-3 weeks games at a 2200 mmr level are harder than ones at a 2500 mmr level earlier in the season. You pretty much have to play at a plat level to win consistently at low gold. It goes full try hard as everyone makes their last second pushes.

Low gold at end of season is just a has been platinum graveyard. Anyone 2300 and above right now will 100 percent be platinum at least at one point the following season.
Well, rank is just a number. I haven't cared about rank for the past 2 seasons, I just play whatever's fun to me.
08/26/2017 08:04 AMPosted by RichyNodz
If you watch twitch or any streaming, you know it doesn't matter what rank you are it's all the same. So why even care?

Quality of teammates.
Salty golds blaming their lack of skill on matchmaking/conspiracy/aliens/democrats etc. What else is new?