UPDATE FOR NEW DM* D.Va feedback from a launch D.Va main(GM)

PTR Feedback
Prev 1 4 5 6 24 Next
projectile de-synchronization with hitscan shows they have not done proper testing on dva.

also the matrix 2x drain rate without changing the recharge rate seems to be by accident too......

there are slackers on the development team and i think its time for bobby kotick and mike morhaime to do some trimming hehe
08/31/2017 01:52 PMPosted by to0ty
projectile de-synchronization with hitscan shows they have not done proper testing on dva.

also the matrix 2x drain rate without changing the recharge rate seems to be by accident too......

Honestly, it feels like these changes were just slapped on without a ton of thought. I don't know how this iteration got past playtesting.
08/31/2017 02:14 PMPosted by GOTH
08/31/2017 01:52 PMPosted by to0ty

Honestly, it feels like these changes were just slapped on without a ton of thought. I don't know how this iteration got past playtesting.

I honestly get that feeling too... I am hoping they are doing extremes like this first so they can get an idea of what people want or could live with, and will then adjust accordingly. Again, hoping.

But then again, they nerfed the missiles immediately, which contradicts what I just said. Maybe they did that so people would maybe not get as upset when they got nerfed, so they would have rather had them feel weaker first? We can't know for sure because they aren't very transparent about these things in the slightest.
08/31/2017 02:18 PMPosted by Slade
I honestly get that feeling too... I am hoping they are doing extremes like this first so they can get an idea of what people want or could live with, and will then adjust accordingly. Again, hoping.

But these changes are only radical in the area that they make DVa weaker. They steal DVa the opportunity to absorb damage and give her what for it? Rocket? These missiles do not even have enough damage to make them really effective against heroes. 162 damage, if they all hit. 162. It is not even enough to kill a soldier on his healing field.

Blizzard should more balanc in this direction, that tanks and supporters have it easier. Because these classes were much more difficult to play properly and do not have the potential to carry.
Fixing a lack of defensive abilities by adding dps on a TANK seems like a really weird choice to me and I'm afraid D.va is just gonna end up being an ult charge tank for the enemy team if they go through with these changes.
I've also wanted her eject passive to be a manual thing. As in, while the MEKA is blowing up, you have to press a key to eject before the MEKA actually dies, and if you don't, D.Va dies. This is to add counterplay to being staggered, as currently, D.Va is the easiest character in the game to stagger and this is for a significant amount of time more than other possible stagger-able characters and it can easily lose you many games without there being a thing in the world you can do about it besides abaondoning the fight eary to try and kill yourself or escape, which can lose you a teamfight you might have otherwise won had you been there, but the risk of getting staggered makes it not worth it. This also raises her skill ceiling without actually making D.Va any stronger as a character

That is a very nice idea. They could implement it the same way her ulti works. I mean, you have a moment to self destruct your Meka after it was destroyed.

08/31/2017 11:59 AMPosted by SendPie
Sorry if this has already been suggested. In order to fix the issue of having hit scan main guns and projectile missiles, they could make the missiles homing to the reticle. Leave the speed of them the same, so they couldn't do any crazy curving. But it would help with landing them. Plus you could fire them around corners. So I think it would raise her skill cap.

That would be amazing (homing missiles like in half life). And they can add timer to missiles like 1-2 second before it explodes, so D.Va can't actually chase Pharah with her missiles lol.

I don't like nerfed DM it's basically the same Genji's deflect (also 2 s), but with longer cooldown (10s vs 8s), smaller hitbox, negates less abilities (Genji's deflect blocks melee attacks and hook while D.Va's DM can't block melee and hook), also Genji's deflect deals damage. So, now Genji is more tank than D.Va which doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately Blizzard listens to the majority of the community and the majority plays Offense heroes. Now, with every patch tanks and supports become less and less impactful and you can't carry with them.
08/31/2017 02:18 PMPosted by Slade
08/31/2017 02:14 PMPosted by GOTH

But then again, they nerfed the missiles immediately, which contradicts what I just said. Maybe they did that so people would maybe not get as upset when they got nerfed, so they would have rather had them feel weaker first? We can't know for sure because they aren't very transparent about these things in the slightest.

The fact that many bad changes have made it past the PTR and into live before, even with large community outcry, has me worried.
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback.

The missiles were just a bit too strong at their previous values, especially considering you can now fly and shoot at the same time. Even at the reduced value they still pose a serious threat if you can land a majority of them on a single target, especially when used in combination when her weapons and flight.

That said, there is another change coming to PTR soon (maybe tomorrow) that will help her out quite a bit. The Defense Matrix regeneration rate is increasing by 25%. This lets her generally use DM more often, while still keeping the new 2 second cap on a single use.

If you get a chance, please try out this new change and let us know how she feels, both playing as her as well as against her. Ideally she still feels a lot less oppressive to fight against but gains more flexibility in how often she can use it for both keeping herself alive as well as her teammates.
08/31/2017 07:46 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman

The missiles were just a bit too strong at their previous values, especially considering you can now fly and shoot at the same time. Even at the reduced value they still pose a serious threat if you can land a majority of them on a single target, especially when used in combination when her weapons and flight.

That said, there is another change coming to PTR soon (maybe tomorrow) that will help her out quite a bit. The Defense Matrix regeneration rate is increasing by 25%. This lets her generally use DM more often, while still keeping the new 2 second cap on a single use.

If you get a chance, please try out this new change and let us know how she feels, both playing as her as well as against her. Ideally she still feels a lot less oppressive to fight against but gains more flexibility in how often she can use it for both keeping herself alive as well as her teammates.

Thank you for the reply.

I was wondering why it was decided to give her more damage instead of giving her a defensive ability? She can still harass with her cannons, but then she'd be more tanky for her team as well.

Edit: Also, what is going to be done about how clunky she feels? Between the shift boost and the hitscan cannons VS missles she fires.

I'll definitely be testing her out immensely on the PTR. Played her since Beta! Love D.VA!

Can we please test Micro Missiles with a secondary CC effect added to them? Knockback, Slow, Blind, Stun, anything!
The best defense is a good offense!

That sounds awesome. This was honestly one of the changes I was hoping for in order to make the 2 second DM more palatable. Hopefully it'll feel a lot better once it goes live onto the PTR.

any chance she don't get any change?

Thank you... Thank you, Geoff. I'm still not really convinced that these changes are good, but at least I mean... This is something. I will try her out and see how I feel...

... Also, while I'm here. Micro Missile. D.Va self damage... any chance we can remove that? And... Micro Missile wind up time (or delay between when you push the button and do the attack). Could that be removed?

do you guys realize that projectile doesnt fit well with hitscan......

its like every dva who been on the ptr knows this just by playing for like 10 minutes against players

it feels like a giant design flaw......
a mistake you expect blizzard to not make.....
Any ETA when these changes will be live on the PTR?
08/31/2017 08:37 PMPosted by Eclipse

Thank you... Thank you, Geoff. I'm still not really convinced that these changes are good, but at least I mean... This is something. I will try her out and see how I feel...

This feedback (While not being on the "official" megathread) gives me hope.
Like quoted above, I don't feel like that would be enough, but at least we have progress. Thank you so so so much for the reply.
08/31/2017 08:40 PMPosted by Reapfield
Any ETA when these changes will be live on the PTR?

That said, there is another change coming to PTR soon (maybe tomorrow)

Thanks for the reply. This change should be a step in the right direction, at least. I'll definitely be playing a lot more and will most likely write another review like this in a new thread, or if there is not much to say I'll write it here.

Perhaps changes to other parts of her, like her DM, will make the missiles and such feel a bit better. I still think the issue lands in where you said if a majority of the missiles land, then they do damage. As I said in my post, the average result of a salvo usually isn't even half of them landing from my experience so far, especially when tracking an enemy with your cannons, due to the hitscan and projectile difference. But again, maybe with more DM, she'll feel better overall.

I feel like she'll still need some baby nudges after this for higher level play, maybe, but I guess there is no use in trying to predict something like that since i'll get to experience it firsthand soon.

On another note, assuming this thread still has your attention and you didn't read through most of the comments made here, what do you think of the ideas mentioned here,* if you don't mind me asking? I know the main focus right now with D.Va is getting her balanced power level wise, but QoL stuff like what is mentioned in the link and things like critbox readjustments I feel is important too to making a character feel good and fluid to use, and people have asked about stuff like this for a while, so an answer or insight on them would be very much appreciated to sort of end the wondering.

* https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758667192?page=4#post-78
All this proves is that you and the rest of the Overwatch team haven't learned a thing. 2 seconds is still just not enough, and the missiles just need to go entirely. They don't suit her.

These changes are still a variation on a bad change. You need to just erase all of this rework entirely and look at adjusting what's there. It was the Overwatch team that made her a problem in the first place because you wouldn't listen to criticism based on bad balancing when you reduced her armor at the start of the year and just became stubborn about the issue. Doing it again will not help.

Edit: Funny how I get downvotes in this topic for exhibiting the exact same opinion that I get upvotes for in the Micro Missile Stats? topic. Geez these forums are schizophrenic as hell!
08/31/2017 08:37 PMPosted by Eclipse
... Also, while I'm here. Micro Missile. D.Va self damage... any chance we can remove that?

No. Go in training lounge, and dive a bot from the normal boost range with missiles + guns. You'll take about 4 damage. Unless you mean that it has no purpose, and could easily be removed just as well.