Sexism in OW

General Discussion
09/02/2017 04:44 AMPosted by ThatSplinter
I'm that "it's a grill" guy.

I'm that guy too. I don't usually ask if the person is a girl or a boy. When I'm confused I usually ask if it's a girl. If the person is a boy, he doesn't usually get mad. I don't ask this question a lot though, it feels like since english is not my main language... I usually listen more and I can figure out if its a girl or guy myself most of the time.

In all honesty, I don't think asking a girl out or flirting in Overwatch is an offense, I'm pretty sure a gay guy would do the same if he wanted...

If a girl gets !@#$ on for being a girl, I usually tell the guy off. I made a good amount of girl friends over OW (most of them being fr-ca like me)

The only sexist-ish thing I might say is that most girls are Mercy mains and if they don't have Mercy the 2nd choice usually is d.va. I say it when I'm on discord with one of these girl friends that I made and she doesnt mind. I'm saying this because out of all the girls I met across each SR... only 8 as proven me wrong. And that's FINE and I'm not going to run a study to know why. Maybe their boyfriends or guy friends tell them : "you wanna help and keep it simple, play mercy for X and Y reason" and then they like the character!
Only if I met more girls in my matches! Every time there is one, every body acts cool and nice. European BTW.
09/02/2017 04:40 AMPosted by Iarumas
Nonexistent. im a girl and all i get from me being in a girl in this game is like ohhh its a grill and then we play our game so yeah I don't know why people are "fabricating" stories

if u are a girl, and perform badly in a game (everyone have bad games), you should go on GD and post about how you were harassed for being a girl, not because of performance or anything
I'm that silent guy because he can't talk to a girl, neither to suck up, nor to flame.
09/02/2017 05:30 AMPosted by Syrona
I'm that silent guy because he can't talk to a girl, neither to suck up, nor to flame.

tragedy..
I played with many females and I'm yet to see anyone harass them for that sole reason.
Usually guys are even nicer than normally, because they probably have some manners/common decency.
Never experienced sexism in this game either. Never had problems with kids.

But I know everyone has different experiences. That's why you can't saying every guy in this game is a woman hating sexist or everyone is super nice and respectful.
09/02/2017 04:43 AMPosted by Shila
So your experience speaks for everyone? Or are you that absent minded?

Oh you're one of those people. You don't speak for everyone either. Some people can understand the internet and not take trolls to heart or you can cry about every little thing. Stop trying to spill over the SJW mentality into OW. Toxic
09/02/2017 05:01 AMPosted by CoolBiz125
09/02/2017 04:59 AMPosted by abadhanzo
ok
#1 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
#2 This is the dumbest thing ever. 'gamer girl' is just a made up word -_-
All of us are 'gamers' regardless of gender. Honestly i dont know how people havent grown out of this bull.

btw, hanzo main is a gender according to urban dictionary.

meme out.
I went to urban dictionary and it said that Hanzo Main means someone who will not switch off of hanzo or something like that so....

Son of a... ok who changed the definition
bloody widow mains...
I REPLIED TO ONE YESTAURDAY THAT HAD TO DO WITH THIS
09/02/2017 04:43 AMPosted by Shila
So your experience speaks for everyone? Or are you that absent minded?

I would say that the experience of dozens of people playing thousands of games without encountering any sexism (or possibly only one or two instances of sexism) holds more weight than the ten people that have said "SEXISM IS IN 8 OUT OF EVERY 9 GAMES I PLAY!", yes.

I've seen girls dozens of times and the only person who ever even mentions it is me, asking "IS THAT A GIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL GAAAAAAAAAAAAMERRRRRRRRR?" as a joke that I don't expect anyone to laugh at. The latest girl thought it was funny, though.
When there's a girl in mic chat guys do one of three things:

- Nothing changes
- They all of a sudden become more mature and their voice gets a bit deeper
- They harass the girl (by hitting on, or speaking down to)

Nothing new to see here... nothing will be changing anytime soon.
Right, no need for so much controversy when there is a mute button, they say stuff extremely disrespectful just report them.
09/02/2017 05:26 AMPosted by Iridium
Only if I met more girls in my matches! Every time there is one, every body acts cool and nice. European BTW.

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe it's different for us europeans.

Sure we make jokes like omg it's a grill guys, with excitement in our voices, but that's to make us seem like basement dwellers who haven't seen a girl in our lifetimes. Never have I heard someone call out a girl for being a girl.
Ive noticed people in voice chat be like heheheh its a girl at the start of a match but beyond that every one just talks in chat normally doing call outs and what not.

(i play on console so maybe its different?)
It's great that you haven't experienced anything bad, but that doesn't make the 10 threads I've seen by women about being harassed disappear.
It can happen, but people also need to learn to just mute , block, and report instead of just whining about it. You have the tools, use them.
Online interactions not rated by the BLIZRD.
Nonexistent. im a girl and all i get from me being in a girl in this game is like ohhh its a [u][/u]grill and then we play our game so yeah I don't know why people are "fabricating" stories
grill? Uhh ok