Decayed players wrecking in lower comp matches

General Discussion
Just happened an hour ago. Played my first comp game in awhile and was immediately reminded why comp sucks. 3 diamonds on each team with 3 low masters (myself included there). should have been a fairly even match up but one of the masters on the other team was a top500 decayed player. it wasn't even fair...our diamonds couldn't touch him. They were in chat complaining the whole game too. The diamonds on my team just got wrecked by the top500 widow main. They tried Genji, Winston and D.Va, all at the same time, and got no results against him. You shouldn't be able to match up with players 2 skill tiers above or below you. Decay needs to be fixed for season 6. To be honest a lot needs to be fixed in match making in general. I just wish some of the crazy unbalanced match ups would happen way less. It's fine to get your but kicked once an awhile, but it shouldn't happen every other game.

edit: Of the masters on my team I was the highest this season topping out around 50 SR below GM. The other masters, on my team and theirs, hand not reached above 3650. I can't take on a top 500 widow main by myself. Not while playing Rein or Mercy anyway. I know Blizzard said that decay would be addressed in season 6, so hopefully this won't be too common anymore. Teams should be constructed by total skill (MMR) not just current SR range.
Skill Rating decays but your internal Matchmaking rating (the thing that determines who is matched against who -- not SR) does not decay.

I'm not saying that you weren't placed in an unfair match. I am just trying to clarify that if that did indeed happen, it wasn't because of SR decay.

We have some changes to Season 6 that should help with some occurrences of mis-matches, especially in the top skill tiers. I can't tell what tier you're actually playing at because you posted on an alt account.

We posted a video yesterday that explains some changes that are coming that should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqf0e8zzyCw&t=1s
08/23/2017 10:48 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Skill Rating decays but your internal Matchmaking rating (the thing that determines who is matched against who -- not SR) does not decay.

I'm not saying that you weren't placed in an unfair match. I am just trying to clarify that if that did indeed happen, it wasn't because of SR decay.

We have some changes to Season 6 that should help with some occurrences of mis-matches, especially in the top skill tiers. I can't tell what tier you're actually playing at because you posted on an alt account.

We posted a video yesterday that explains some changes that are coming that should help.

Wait... So if MMR is what decides who gets paired with who, then what is SR for? Just comp points and showing off?

That seems confusing...
okay first of all how in the world did you start placements in diamond I started placements in silver
08/23/2017 10:51 AMPosted by Skrimiche

Wait... So if MMR is what decides who gets paired with who, then what is SR for? Just comp points and showing off?

That seems confusing...

SR is just an ego number

That seems confusing...

SR closely chases your MMR up and down and is a more "digestible" number. With the exception of top players who have decayed, MMR and SR are closely linked.
I can't tell what tier you're actually playing at because you posted on an alt account.

If you look at his PSN part, he's a masters player with 3541 rating, atm.
But what happens if someone deliberately loses comp games to go down to silver so they get easy wins and lots of comp points? Does their mmr also go down?
08/23/2017 10:52 AMPosted by XHAD
okay first of all how in the world did you start placements in diamond I started placements in silver

The MMR you establish in other modes matches you up with your first players in competitive the first time you play competitive. Your MMR is a hidden number that is separate from your SR rank. (Ideally, they would reflect each other, but that's not always the case.)
08/23/2017 10:52 AMPosted by XHAD

I think it takes previous seasons into consideration as well.
Basically.

Similarly, leaver penalties don't actually change your MMR (not in the same way they change your SR), so you can't leave a few games and suddenly play against bronzes.
08/23/2017 10:53 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
<span class="truncated">...</span>

That seems confusing...

SR closely chases your MMR up and down and is a more "digestible" number. With the exception of top players who have decayed, MMR and SR are closely linked.

I'm guessing MMR is built off more than the player rank?

Does this mean *all* the background pokery is being cut?

It felt really weird and disconcerting to suddenly be gaining less SR from matches at the same level on the same maps, with the same heroes.
08/23/2017 10:54 AMPosted by Sheevah
I can't tell what tier you're actually playing at because you posted on an alt account.

If you look at his PSN part, he's a masters player with 3541 rating, atm.
even Jeff doesn't know that PSN exists

I'm on PS4 so that might be why I look like I'm on an alt account, and I also own the PC version but don't play it (I'm too connected to my cosmetics/golden guns to switch). Several of the Diamonds in the game were also drop out low masters. Just seeing a decayed top 500 in a game with low masters/diamonds is frustrating. It's almost feels like they have a "ringer" that puts them at an advantage.

I'm guessing MMR is built off more than the player rank?

MMR works very similarly to SR. There are some minor differences that make it feel worse though, when you just watch that number. For example, it's possible to win a match and not gain any MMR. We make it so that if you win a match, you always gain SR -- even if it's just a little bit -- to feel psychologically rewarding. But MMR's entire goal is creating fair matches -- which isn't always fun to look at and certainly not "rewarding" for players looking for pats on the back or a sense of progression. So SR "chases" your MMR very closely, except in a rare case of severe SR decay at GM/Masters/Diamond level of play.
08/23/2017 11:00 AMPosted by Merle

I'm on PS4 so that might be why I look like I'm on an alt account, and I also own the PC version but don't play it (I'm too connected to my cosmetics/golden guns to switch). Several of the Diamonds in the game were also drop out low masters. Just seeing a decayed top 500 in a game with low masters/diamonds is frustrating. It's almost feels like they have a "ringer" that puts them at an advantage.

Sorry. Just saw the PS4. The forums/website should default to that. Now I'm triggered... not enough time in the day.

We have some changes to Season 6 that should help with some occurrences of mis-matches

Are you considering adding some sort of hero tracking to the MM in the coming seasons?

While you say in the developer update that the matchmaking can reasonably predict how close to '50/50' a match is supposed to be, the reality is that if you're matched with players that each have 70 hours that season on 4-5 heroes combined you're at a major disadvantage when facing a team with more diverse experience.

For all the criticism the matchmaking has received over this past year I feel like this is one of the biggest offenders, made more apparent now that most played heroes is conveniently displayed in the 'group' UI.

So that means I have the MMR of a GM then since I always get matched against bronze smurfs who just wreaks our team all the time.
So sr is pointless then an mmr rules all that we never see