lol I just game banned for a week on my main in quickplay

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 33 Next
08/28/2017 11:11 AMPosted by AimlockEnox
08/28/2017 10:18 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

We checked the IP address of the account you posted from and found a suspended account.

That account has a total of 2247 complaints filed against it -- making it one of the worst offending accounts we've seen. The account has also been silenced for a total of 9216 hours. There are 3 gameplay suspensions on the account as well as 7 silences against this account (these are for abusive chat and/or spam). There is also a manual GM account suspension for "massive griefing" levied.

So I'm not sure if that's the account you're referring to or not, but someone from your IP has been a less-than-ideal OW citizen.

If that's not your account, please let us know what the BattleTag is and I'm happy to look into it further. The last thing we want is good, upstanding members of the community being punished unfairly.

I think my account is the second worst offending account.
Lol, jk don't ban me please.

I'm probably that second worst offending account. I ragequit...quite a lot.
08/28/2017 10:01 AMPosted by ŦGambitG
...Ai don't behave anything like human players. I didn't get any better playing against humans by playing against ai. I got better at playing against ai.

It's a stepping stone. You don't just jump into QP with a character you've never played before. You progress through Training, AI, then QP. each adds a bit more unpredictability to your opponents that you can build off of.

Ehhhh I don't necessarily agree here. Maybe a quick look at their abilities. But you can jump in on a new character in qp just fine, as long as you try and help with objectives there really shouldn't be a problem.

That account has a total of 2247 complaints filed against it

Holy crap!
08/28/2017 11:14 AMPosted by escampee
08/28/2017 11:00 AMPosted by LoveMuffin
Justice is not a mass-report democratic referendum according to your former standards as spoken by directly you and your staff.

Indeed not. But thankfully Jeff's response doesn't indicate that it was. He specifically noted that there is a manual Game Master ban on the account in question. That means that this person is not, in fact, simply a victim of some 2000+ people reporting him. (Although, at 2,000+ people reporting you, that's not somebody who just got a ban because they ran into some people who disliked his play style.)

Crusade elsewhere. This person isn't a victim of the system. There is no laziness involved if a Game Master manually levied a penalty. Manual = review. Manual =/= automatic. Manual is an antonym of automatic. Ergo, there has been no victimizing of this person due to automated banning.

Trying to blame Blizzard for this player's willful, conscious, and continuous actions is a rather odd stance to take. This person broke the terms of agreement of a service. Breaking terms of agreement in any area of business is cause to terminate the agreement. And, honestly, is usually subject to a fine that is greater than simply the loss of initial investment.

Also, the revealing of the nature of this person's crimes is not covered by privacy laws. Their name, social security number, financial status, or health has not been violated. There is no confidentiality agreement that you or Blizzard sign when you play their games. As such, their only responsibility is to abide by the confidentiality laws put forth in the countries they operate in.

In simple terms: Blizzard hasn't done anything wrong.

Using fancy terminology does not make your argument correct or even factual.

This thread's second slam dunk.
this topic needs to be sticky as a warning to those who wish to poke the bear.
This is fun, but why is someone with 2000 complaints against it not banned?
Jeff Slaplan, right upside your face, OP.
08/28/2017 11:17 AMPosted by Nessuno
This is fun, but why is someone with 2000 complaints against it not banned?

the whole point of this topic is that they were, indeed, banned.

if you mean forever, that is almost a certainty with how the OP acts.

gotta hand out temp bans to give someone a chance to change their bad behavior.

We checked the IP address of the account you posted from and found a suspended account.

That account has a total of 2247 complaints filed against it -- making it one of the worst offending accounts we've seen. The account has also been silenced for a total of 9216 hours. There are 3 gameplay suspensions on the account as well as 7 silences against this account (these are for abusive chat and/or spam). There is also a manual GM account suspension for "massive griefing" levied.

So I'm not sure if that's the account you're referring to or not, but someone from your IP has been a less-than-ideal OW citizen.

If that's not your account, please let us know what the BattleTag is and I'm happy to look into it further. The last thing we want is good, upstanding members of the community being punished unfairly.

Justice is not a mass-report democratic referendum according to your former standards as spoken by directly you and your staff. The plebiscite — in this case — leads all favor against this account, and it is most likely a ban worth as determining violations of your CoC.

However, you guys admitted wrongdoing in that past.

I called Blizzard out on your previous banning practices regarding chat bans with which you erroneously, knowingly banned people who hadn't even used the type or voice chat system, and your staff has responded — with evidence leaked from your GameMasters — that these peoples bans are knowingly erroneously held up. Luckily, you guys had stopped this practice. That's good progress. Thank you.

I get it: you guys need a lazy way to ban people. It's probably for the best of the community, but not particularly in the interest of the account holder.

So when you guys upvote Jeff, fine; they are in a difficult spot — so much so in that in the future your account status will no longer be private in that they will tell others that you have been banned (pangs of desperation resulting from audience backlash?) — but banning people from mass reports is both easy and lazy. There is nothing particular virtuous about banning the OP's account and Jeff deserves no credit for being harsh — just credit for doing his job as a public figurehead.

Jeff never called this guy out though. He responded to his honest question as to why he was banned. Jeff responded by saying an account at his IP address had over 2000 reports and goes on to say that that one of the worst offending account which means many accounts never reach that number. Even if he was getting reported for picking an unpopular character it would not mean he would have an above average amount of reports.

Jeff also did not give out the account name in question. We only know the name of the offenders alt account because they are the one that posted.

Second, for a community that has complained endlessly about a toxicity problem some erroneous chat bans are the least of our problems. As we can see in this post it is likely that most people who
complain about being banned could very well not be telling the truth. I for one and elated to see that actions are being taken against repeat offenders.
Highly Rated

The math on this is legitimately incredible.

As of today, OW has been out for 461 days. OP has received 2247 complaints in that time. That's an average of 4.87 complaints by other players, per day, every day, for over a year. He's also been silenced for 9216 hours - which is 384 days or 57,600 games (avg game length is supposedly 16 mins).

Remember, OP said his "main" account was banned and his profile shows his current account plays in the US, EUR and KR. That's some global toxicity. His life has to be really sad for him to grief other people this much for this long.

It's a wonder his IP hasn't been banned permanently.
08/28/2017 08:30 AMPosted by Ceaya
"disruptive gameplay". In quickplay. What.

So much for the reports being verified. Jesus you aren't even safe in quickplay lol. The system is clearly automated and abusable.

How do you even be disruptive in quickplay?

touche

So much for the reports being verified. Jesus you aren't even safe in quickplay lol. The system is clearly automated and abusable.

As much as I like the well deserved roast here..

The sad thing is, that why does over 2k reports only amount to 3 gameplay suspensions and 7 silences when he has been ruining games for 2247 people and more because not everyone even reports?

He is as your game master has put it, "a massive griefer" but here is the thing: he had been allowed to do so with barely any consequences before he was banned for it and such reports accumulate from like minimum of 200 games and probably 400 matches in average.

Over two thousand reports? With the way quickplay is in shambles now, I suppose it did need that much of reports to even get a single person to stop, much less catch all the other hackers and trolls and griefers and boosters who are not as visible. The effort to get one guy to permanently stop being nasty ingame to the rest is staggeringly high compared to how little effort he has to put to ruin quickplays for thousands of people.

I am seriously hoping your systems are much better at dealing with these kind of offences in the future Jeff kaplan and that the changes you've implemented in the report system bear fruit. But honestly, this only further cemented my belief in that reporting bad behaviour was a useless feature, despite always trying to use it myself when I feel like the player deserves to be reported for their bad behaviour. I do not try to be cynical but facts like these make me cynical.

Least this kind of massive griefer doesn't play anymore, so there's that. But there's still thousands upon thousands of similar people out there still ruining games and we as players can only report so much.
08/28/2017 11:23 AMPosted by BT160506

The math on this is legitimately incredible.

As of today, OW has been out for 461 days. OP has received 2247 complaints in that time. That's an average of 4.87 complaints by other players, per day, every day, for over a year. He's also been silenced for 9216 hours - which is 384 days or 57,600 games (avg game length is supposedly 16 mins).

Remember, OP said his "main" account was banned and his profile shows his current account plays in the US, EUR and KR. That's some global toxicity. His life has to be really sad for him to grief other people this much for this long.

It's a wonder his IP hasn't been banned permanently.

It's impressive, in a way. Imagine if OP spent all the time he's wasted being a toxic idiot on something productive.
Doesnt take long for unitlost to make a video on this

If that isnt a roast then I dont know what is a roast.
(Edit)
Daddy Jeff to the resc.. oh wait thats not true
Daddy Jeff to the roastue ...
terrible pun I know
08/28/2017 11:14 AMPosted by escampee
Justice is not a mass-report democratic referendum according to your former standards as spoken by directly you and your staff.

Indeed not. But thankfully Jeff's response doesn't indicate that it was. He specifically noted that there is a manual Game Master ban on the account in question. That means that this person is not, in fact, simply a victim of some 2000+ people reporting him. (Although, at 2,000+ people reporting you, that's not somebody who just got a ban because they ran into some people who disliked his play style.)

Crusade elsewhere. This person isn't a victim of the system. There is no laziness involved if a Game Master manually levied a penalty. Manual = review. Manual =/= automatic. Manual is an antonym of automatic. Ergo, there has been no victimizing of this person due to automated banning.

Trying to blame Blizzard for this player's willful, conscious, and continuous actions is a rather odd stance to take. This person broke the terms of agreement of a service. Breaking terms of agreement in any area of business is cause to terminate the agreement. And, honestly, is usually subject to a fine that is greater than simply the loss of initial investment.

Also, the revealing of the nature of this person's crimes is not covered by privacy laws. Their name, social security number, financial status, or health has not been violated. There is no confidentiality agreement that you or Blizzard sign when you play their games. As such, their only responsibility is to abide by the confidentiality laws put forth in the countries they operate in.

In simple terms: Blizzard hasn't done anything wrong.

Using fancy terminology does not make your argument correct or even factual.

For the most part, you're right. Blizzard has staff that oversees conduct violations and punishment. My statement was to not indicate otherwise.

There is evidence, however, that their bans are automated and regulated poorly due to funds. Of course they have people reviewing "automated" activity, and they need to rely on this for damage control. I cant post the link (leaked info), but Blizzard has gotten caught upholding bans for erroneous reports, and their GameMasters have knowingly justified it to the account holder. Tell me about the manual review policy that came into question. A simple search reveals banning practices done to the best of their ability, and they fall short. It happens. They need a balancing act.

I actually didnt disagree with Blizzards methodology, either. If I were in their position i'd prolly do the same thing.

No, there is no privacy violation. I had not said that. Account status, in the future, will no longer be private. That's what I said. It's clear that this action is damage control. There's no other way to interpret that for me.

Im not interested if Blizz is right or wrong. What's right or wrong is whatever they do. No nation goes to war and says, "This is wrong", even though they commit horrible atrocities. Punishment and consequence is always just because it is a prerequisite for it.

Im gonna ignore your "crusade" and "fancy terminology" statement given it's embarrassing, but you make good points. To be clear: the OP 99.9% deserves his ban.
LOL WOW. Just goes to show you that they're always working and listening behind the scenes. I doubt they just randomly checked this one IP for the hell of it and it happened to be THIS bad so Jeff posted about it. Or maybe they just hit the "jackpot", haha.

Justice is not a mass-report democratic referendum according to your former standards as spoken by directly you and your staff. The plebiscite — in this case — leads all favor against this account, and it is most likely a ban worth as determining violations of your CoC.

However, you guys admitted wrongdoing in that past.

I called Blizzard out on your previous banning practices regarding chat bans with which you erroneously, knowingly banned people who hadn't even used the type or voice chat system, and your staff has responded — with evidence leaked from your GameMasters — that these peoples bans are knowingly erroneously held up. Luckily, you guys had stopped this practice. That's good progress. Thank you.

I get it: you guys need a lazy way to ban people. It's probably for the best of the community, but not particularly in the interest of the account holder.

So when you guys upvote Jeff, fine; they are in a difficult spot — so much so in that in the future your account status will no longer be private in that they will tell others that you have been banned (pangs of desperation resulting from audience backlash?) — but banning people from mass reports is both easy and lazy. There is nothing particular virtuous about banning the OP's account and Jeff deserves no credit for being harsh — just credit for doing his job as a public figurehead.

You are the saddest muffin I have ever seen. I wonder what games you play that are so flawless yet you still frequent overwatch.
lol I had a guy on my team go into the match chat and said report so and so for calling me the N word. Guy didn't even have a mic. This guy was pissed because he was playing widow so I typed don't do it nobody is being toxic here except the guy who wants to make false reports
Just a daily reminder that Orisa is the best hero in the game