I really like the Mei's animated short

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
08/23/2017 10:30 AMPosted by CptKittens
08/23/2017 10:24 AMPosted by HANA
I think it was worth seeing. It is just too bad that they can't do those more often.

It takes time. They don't have a Pixar sized army of animators and I would expect this team to be pretty small when compared to much larger animation studios. Much smaller.

Do you see the quality of the animation? The scoring? The voice over making sure it all sounds good and works. Making a quality product takes time and hard work.

Maybe they could make a movie in the future with all the origin stories in it.
It will be a good way to get all the characters in one place without making it look like they are there for the sake of being in it.
08/23/2017 10:30 AMPosted by Umber0010
Mei's entire backstory was a bit ludicrous to begin with, you mean to tell me that 5 cyrogenically frozen died because there pods malfunctioned.. in Antarctica, the coldest place on earth... "oh they weren't frozen, they where hibernating" you mean to tell me that they where abode to hibernate for nine years without any nutrients, water, and possibly even oxygen... at that point the machines probably didn't malfunction, there metabolic systems would have been so slow that the pod probably couldn't even sense them.

Cryosleep isn't exactly a new concept, and given the cardiographs on their interfaces, the pods probably had some form of life support system that malfunctioned.
I mean, neither did The Last Bastion. It was an origin story, just like Rise and Shine
I'm glad we got a new short that elaborates on event we know already happened, new info is great and all but there is so much we still dont know about past events.
The animated shorts began with Winston issuing a Recall for Overwatch to ignore the Petras Act and to reunite.

Rise and Shine shows Mei's reaction to Winston's call to action.
08/23/2017 10:19 AMPosted by Monocer
Why did no one rescued them? I mean did Winston forget his friend Mei? Did everyone forget them? You dont just assume automatically they are dead after a storm. Even if OW was in crisis, you dont leave 5 people stranded there, without confirming they are dead, not just cut off.

That's actually answered in the short. There's a magazine that says the base was lost. The outside world assumed they were already gone. The massive storm that prevented the supply delivery likely prevented communications going out as well. We see the signal tower break during the team's cryostasis.
08/23/2017 10:49 AMPosted by Endurrr
I mean, neither did The Last Bastion. It was an origin story, just like Rise and Shine
Unlike Mei though, who we already knew about via the Ecopoint map, we literally knew nothing about Bastion. Everything that happened in the Mei short was stuff we already knew happened because of the Ecopoint map.
08/23/2017 10:51 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
The animated shorts began with Winston issuing a Recall for Overwatch to ignore the Petras Act and to reunite.

Okay?

And how does that provide world building?

Explains why she's here. We knew she had a lose affiliation with Overwatch, but this clears up the when and why.

Great short. Keep 'em coming Jeff. Hoping to see my boy Lucio before too long.
08/23/2017 10:53 AMPosted by GrizzledEngi
Okay?

It's her origin story, like most of the other shorts are origin stories...

you guys nailed this one! sure, it wasn't much new but it made her story feel so much nicer. it's so cool to see that Mei's trying her best to answer Winston's Recall and share the data that Ecopoint Antarctica gathered over the 9 years she was asleep for. the feels when she realized that the rest of the Ecopoint crew was dead were so well done
This short was fantastic. I hope we continue to get more high quality animations! Thanks for the added insight Jeff!

Also: did anyone else get massive Half-Life 2/Portal vibes from this? Between the sub title, and the cryo awakening stuff?

Okay?

I suppose that means there is no time for that because...basically no time has passed between Winston's call and Mei receiving it, so it's just like Winston's saying "Hey, Mei. We regrouping here. You with us?" and she is all like "Okay."

And then she went to China.

(Or wherever)

Something like that? I dunno.
08/23/2017 10:55 AMPosted by Jessicka
Okay?

We already knew her origin story

Everything that happened in the cinematic we already knew from her bio

Again

How does that provide world building?
i saw screenshots of Blackwatch, so was excited.

Okay?

Did Doomfist's origin story? The Last Bastion? No, but those are some really good shorts and Mei's is no different.
So Mei hiked to McMurdo station from where ever the hell Ecopoint is, without a substantial amounts of food or other supplies?
08/23/2017 10:56 AMPosted by GrizzledEngi
08/23/2017 10:55 AMPosted by Jessicka

We already knew her origin story

Everything that happened in the cinematic we already knew from her bio

Again

How does that provide world building?

Why does every short to you have to provide world building?
You guys all sound so spoiled.

Two days ago they release junkrat roadhog short. Everyone complains about it looking different. Then they release one of the longest animated shorts they've done and very enjoyable and you guys complain about it lacking. It's a free short. And they're obviously going to keep making more with the lore you all so need. But they won't keep making more if we don't appreciate the damn things
08/23/2017 11:00 AMPosted by Endurrr
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Okay?

Did Doomfist's origin story? The Last Bastion? No, but those are some really good shorts and Mei's is no different.

We didn't know anything about Doomfist so his animation actually gave insight and history to the character

We had no idea what Bastion' s backstory was, all we knew was that he suddenly "turned" on and it gave a two dimensional character a personality

We already knew Mei's personality, we already knew her origin

We already knew everything that was already portrayed in her animation since the game released

Her animation is different because it literally provided nothing new