Help me with soldier 76's positioning

Competitive Discussion
Where should I position my self?
I have amazing aim, but garbage positioning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvsrb9U2X8g
High ground, corners, and in the backline near your supports.

When positioned on high ground, you have a couple of advantages:
  • You can simply back up and take natural cover, as high ground serves as a positional barrier.
  • You have a natural aiming advantage, as you can see above barriers and into the backline.
  • Since you're aiming downwards, your overall accuracy and critical hit opportunity increases.
  • The rest is utilizing your visor for priority picks, and thoughtful use of biotic field. Fight from a distance, and retain space between you and your targets unless you have a clear advantage.

Make use of opportunity positions such as where you have vision of areas where the enemy team is most likely to feel safe. When the enemy feels safe, you are at your greatest level of lethality.
    Sometimes your ult's effectiveness can be increased dramatically if you manage to break away from your team and flank the enemy team or even come from behind, but this comes with a risk too of course.
    Example when to try: Mumbani attack, the final curve before approaching the destination. Go all the left way around the building instead and ult the defenders from behind. This has decent chances to work in platinum/diamond, in my experience.
    Back in Season 4, it was pretty simple. Always go to the high ground. Always.

Now, it isn't like that anymore. Enemy tanks are mobile and if they're playing properly, each time you go to the high ground, you will become an insta-dive target. Depending on what healers your team has, if a Mercy is staying near you, if she pockets you, you can 1v1 Winston comfortably. Otherwise, you should just disengage. You basically need your entire team playing around you if the enemy team is running a dive comp. Meaning, you need your tanks to babysit you. If they can keep you alive, you can dish out great damage. Otherwise, 76 isn't a strong pick in this meta. D.Va shuts him down hard, and I'm not even speaking about ultimates. Just regular damage. You will also have Winston on you non stop. Even if you're on the ground.
    08/26/2017 12:04 AMPosted by PRIDE
    Where should I position my self?
    I have amazing aim, but garbage positioning!
    you should always have the high ground and only drop if someone jumps you and you have no heals, otherwise you can 1v1 most likely 1v1 them if you have biotic field off cooldown or a healer on you, another situation to drop is if you NEED to contest the point. DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT drop if there is just a fight on the point. only drop if you are literally the only one who can touch it(besides maybe ana, you should probably get on before her)
    Here is one thing about positioning. It's not all just up to you. Your team has to create the correct situation for you to be in position. If your team is all over the place then you just simply will not be in position.
    08/26/2017 07:39 AMPosted by Providence
    Here is one thing about positioning. It's not all just up to you. Your team has to create the correct situation for you to be in position. If your team is all over the place then you just simply will not be in position.

This is so true in lower tiers. In platinum at least, I try my best to help my supports and stick with the team, but if they're mentally handicapped and doing their own thing it's sometimes more effective to play aggressive. Find your own good positioning, abuse your healing, or go for support flanking kills. Don't forget to call out if you get a pick or two. This style got me from silver to high platinum. I'm just now starting to see teams who work together.
    On Soldier you have the luxury to be aggressive. You have both sprint and healing. High ground is overrated. High ground can make you exposed at a numerical disadvantage. At the start of fights you can hang back but don't be afraid to reposition as things unfold.
    Stand on high ground and you're uncounterable
    08/26/2017 03:37 AMPosted by Amaeyth
    High ground, corners, and in the backline near your supports.

When positioned on high ground, you have a couple of advantages:
  • You can simply back up and take natural cover, as high ground serves as a positional barrier.
  • You have a natural aiming advantage, as you can see above barriers and into the backline.
  • Since you're aiming downwards, your overall accuracy and critical hit opportunity increases.
  • The rest is utilizing your visor for priority picks, and thoughtful use of biotic field. Fight from a distance, and retain space between you and your targets unless you have a clear advantage.

Make use of opportunity positions such as where you have vision of areas where the enemy team is most likely to feel safe. When the enemy feels safe, you are at your greatest level of lethality.

Everything this guy said. Once you figure out the timing and bursts, make the corners your home and high grounds right above your team. Once you feel its free to advance to be a bit more aggressive do so. But something people forget to touch on, once you figure out soldier you will start to learn his jukes and so fourth jumping around and dodging people.
    Thank you all so much this has helped me greatly!
    Big thanks to Amaeyth!
    A good Soldier changes positions and play style depending on the enemy team IMHO.

As some one mentioned ... high ground isn't always the best ground. There will be teams who focus a Soldier ONLY if he is high ground and barely touch him if he's behind a Rein or other tank.

In THAT situation ... you will eat people alive by playing behind your tanks and your heals will have a much greater AoE value for the entire team.

That's the great thing about 76, he's a very versatile character that can be played different ways at a very high level. Personally, I play a very aggressive Soldier and depending on the situation (spawn distance) ... don't mind even pushing in front of tanks if I think I can get a key pick.
    You dont have an aim advantage on highground you have a disadvantage there because it becomes harder to predict enemy movement and they are visually smaller.
    08/26/2017 05:39 PMPosted by McStrafe
    You dont have an aim advantage on highground you have a disadvantage there because it becomes harder to predict enemy movement and they are visually smaller.

Again ... situational.

High ground can sometimes make it easier to finish off a fleeing enemy player who otherwise would have got a way. As far as predicting movement on high ground ... that's just something you get use to. For me, it was never an issue but I can see why it could be.

So yeah ... there really is no right or wrong answer. Best thing a Soldier main can do is look back at his games and see the positioning mistakes that were costly. Try and learn from those mistakes.
    You have a sight advantage I think you meant.
    08/26/2017 05:45 PMPosted by McStrafe
    You have a sight advantage I think you meant.

*Hanzo Voice*
    You can not aim at which you don't see ...

;-)
    Positioning is relative with any hero.
    Never keep the exact same position for too long. The more predictable positioning the faster you are going to die.

One more thing, burst down squishy heroes, don't spam them shields..
    Here's an interesting question I have for other people who play Soldier ...

Do you melt faster by standing still and bursting or running and gunning?

Perhaps it's just my tracking style but ... I melt people way faster by moving and aiming for the head. I've been told by a many Phara mains that I'm pretty annoying. lol
    Flank, flank, flank. Do not flank the tanks. Flank mercy first then dps.