Junkrat's RIP-tire is now a UFO

General Discussion
Not that Junkrat didn't need to be elevated to compete with the usual meta suspects, because he kind of did need a buff to compete with Pharah.

But his tire buff seems to have made aerial flying death traps the only "correct" way to use his tire. Why bother rolling along the ground? You can just launch it along a wall and catch the enemy by surprise every time.

https://youtu.be/9woiVVjdG1c

The wallclimb momentum is absurd right now. There's nothing you can do to stop it, short of having Widowmaker on your team that can actually land a shot on it. And the only other way I've seen it used post-patch is a point-blank suicidal explosion.

Is this fair?
You forgot to mention that its completely silent in the air.
Aerial Flying Death Traps? Can there be a new hero with this power, please?
Still has 100 hp and is still hookable
09/02/2017 01:02 PMPosted by BrokenStylus
Why bother rolling along the ground? You can just launch it along a wall and catch the enemy by surprise every time.

Because for some reason, the tire does less damage while it's in the air.

Like only 400 instead of 600.
09/02/2017 01:19 PMPosted by GreyFalcon
Why bother rolling along the ground? You can just launch it along a wall and catch the enemy by surprise every time.

I don't think so, at least not prepatch. i constantly killed hogs and dvas with air tires
09/02/2017 01:19 PMPosted by GreyFalcon

You can fly with rip-tire, this way it is almost impossible to hit it, then get on the ground and detonate it.
09/02/2017 01:25 PMPosted by AimlockEnox
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You can fly with rip-tire, this way it is almost impossible to hit it, then get on the ground and detonate it.

Only takes half a second for a good McCree to twoshot a tire.
I thought just increasing the HP of the tire would've been good enough, but increasing its speed by 30%, having its sound stop when it's airborne, increasing the surfaces it can run on to the point where it's basically vertical Lucio, and keeping the same rate of charge as well as damage is just a little too much.

And Junkrat shouldn't be able to compete with a Pharah. Pharah should be a counter.
All his aoe needs a nerf this is ridiculous now
Only takes half a second for a god McCree to twoshot a tire.

Fixed that for you.
Had a game on route 66 yesterday and this guy on my team just bounced the tire off the cliffs (the ones on the right hand side after capturing the first point) without touching the floor once to have it fly into a team standing on the bridge and get 4 kills. Yeah it was kinda ridiculous.
09/02/2017 01:09 PMPosted by iSinner

This is the only issue with it in my opinion.

There's nothing you can do to stop it, short of having Widowmaker on your team that can actually land a shot on it.

Mow it down? One shot with fire strike? Uses barriers and shields?
Oh noes a hero that i don't like got a viable ult. Whiners never die.
09/02/2017 01:38 PMPosted by SeraphLance
Only takes half a second for a god McCree to twoshot a tire.

Fixed that for you.

The guy I was replying to was a grandmasters McCree main... sooo....
honestly i just wanna take a break for a while now
every match feels ok till theres a junkrat on the other team
how do you even counter him now? it feels horribly stressing to battle him now and the fact that junkrat mains just downvote threads instead of actually giving advice doesnt help
junkrats no aim damage is completely different to winston and symmetra, since those two have a range and a disengage range
but junkrat just feels that he can kill you from 30 meters away, and he just can get closer with those mines to secure the kill
everytime time i can kill him with any hero the match just feels better imo
09/02/2017 01:45 PMPosted by RobbieRotten
Oh noes a hero that i don't like got a viable ult. Whiners never die.

The issue is that the ult lacks any counterplay as of now. Since it doesn't make any noise while flying, the only thing you can do to stop it is actively looking for it and completely ignoring the entire teamfight (not to mention that even this isn't a viable method when leaving out other players).
09/02/2017 01:42 PMPosted by BerserKing
09/02/2017 01:09 PMPosted by iSinner

There's nothing you can do to stop it, short of having Widowmaker on your team that can actually land a shot on it.

any competent junkrat will blow it up behind the shield what the hell
Incidentally, a friendly Junkrat with Concussion mine can kill a riptire almost 100% of the time, with almost no aim required.
09/02/2017 01:50 PMPosted by sodartic

any competent junkrat will blow it up behind the shield what the hell

To quote myself:
"shieldS"