The Problem Blizzard Didn't Address for Season 6

Competitive Discussion
Blizzard didn't announce how they're going to fix having four support mains or three tank mains, or all DPS mains in a Comp Game. The last game that I had, there was four support mains and I as one of them. As a Mercy main, I had to give up Mercy to play a DPS character that I knew how to play, but wasn't comfortable with. Sometimes, from some of my friends' perspective, there wasn't even a support main on the team. Please fix this problem!
08/25/2017 01:43 PMPosted by hedgehog
As a Mercy main, I had to give up Mercy to play a DPS character that I knew how to play, but wasn't comfortable with.

According to your career profile:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/career/psn/hiphop_hedgehog
The highest amount of time you have on any DPS is Torbjorn at 35 minutes.

You want Blizzard to fix the one trick problem by not putting the one tricks on your teams? Why don't you learn to play other classes instead?
You limit the comp ... you limit creativity.

We need more potential meta comps, not less.
Now imagine how DPS players feel
This happens for the DPS role literally almost every game.

Yelling at the DPS and telling them to switch is all hunky dory until your role is the one of which your team has too many. Now it's suddenly a problem Bliz needs to fix.

Not saying that the 4th or even the 3rd DPS don't often need to switch, but just saying that this sort of thing is bound to happen whenever you have such a large portion of players that refuse to play anything except for a specific role. Having preferences is cool and all, but being able to at least decently do other stuff too is super important.

Good looks for switching off to DPS when your team needed it, OP.

~be the change you want to see, friends~
08/25/2017 01:46 PMPosted by WhîteKnight
As a Mercy main, I had to give up Mercy to play a DPS character that I knew how to play, but wasn't comfortable with.

According to your career profile:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/career/psn/hiphop_hedgehog
The highest amount of time you have on any DPS is Torbjorn at 35 minutes.

You want Blizzard to fix the one trick problem by not putting the one tricks on your teams? Why don't you learn to play other classes instead?

When I'm playing Comp, I usually play who I'm either more comfortable with or who I think is going to help win the battle. I try to be flex, but sometimes it doesn't work for me. I left this out, but I'm a console player, and people don't communicate as much as they do on PC. I usually don't pick Mercy if two supports are usually taken anyway.
This works against me so hard. I have high support and tank stats because I HAVE to. I have no other choice because the other 5 players locked DPS...
You talk like a Lucio/Symm/Mercy/Ana/Zen/Any setup is bad.
Blizzard didn't announce how they're going to fix having four support mains or three tank mains, or all DPS mains in a Comp Game. The last game that I had, there was four support mains and I as one of them. As a Mercy main, I had to give up Mercy to play a DPS character that I knew how to play, but wasn't comfortable with. Sometimes, from some of my friends' perspective, there wasn't even a support main on the team. Please fix this problem!

So you want Blizzard to address you directly?
I don't think it's that big of an issue tbh, in the almost 200 games I've tracked this season I had maybe 2 games where I had 3 Support/Mercy (let's face it Zen/Ana/Lucio supports have skillsets that translate into other heroes but Mercy doesn't (yet)) mains on my team. The throwers and trolls are a much bigger problem then having too many support mains on your team in my experience.
One-trick complains about all the one-tricks one-tricking messing up his ability to one-trick.

You know it is funny that it took 5 seasons for me to see the miracle of entering a game and literally no one picked a hero for 30secs. Everyone laughed as we realize we were all waiting to fill.
If they won't add role select at least make it so there aren't 3 people who's most played heroes are all mercy or Winston or genji or whatever, having multiple mains is a pain in the !@#.
As a Mercy main, the only thing I can say is to get better at other roles. I've had a game with 4 healer mains and I took it upon myself to play D.va which is another character I play well. There was another season I got to play Reaper just for a game, and even got POT! I find myself in what I like to call a "Mercy curse" because I WANT to stop playing Mercy but since I'm so good at her and in almost every game there is a serious lack of healers. Then there is another problem when I leave Mercy for another player (which I also do since I'm more comfortable changing) and most of the time they are suck for their rank? Makes me think that these Mercy players are the kind of players that just play Mercy to get boosted up, then make all Mercy players feel bad...
08/25/2017 02:46 PMPosted by Hackusations
One-trick complains about all the one-tricks one-tricking messing up his ability to one-trick.

You know it is funny that it took 5 seasons for me to see the miracle of entering a game and literally no one picked a hero for 30secs. Everyone laughed as we realize we were all waiting to fill.

I've had this happen to me before too, haha. Everyone just basically selected what we were good at since we were kind of a balanced team and worked well together.
One way they could address this without taking away flexibility is to add prelock as a benefit for those who solo queue.

The way it would work is that you would have the option when queueing to choose one or more of the heroes that you have a significant portion of your playtime on, when you get into a game, that hero would already be locked, you could not be matched into a game whithout one of your chosen heros prelocked, and the matchmaker would try to match so that you are likely to end up having a viable 2/2/2 or 3 tank /2 dps /1 healer comp.

Even though you'd hit the hero select screen with your hero already locked, you would still be free to choose another hero to get better team synergy or adapt to the map, you just would no longer get games where you have no option to play "your" hero.
08/25/2017 01:50 PMPosted by harkypoo
You limit the comp ... you limit creativity.

We need more potential meta comps, not less.
\

Although Overwatch is flexible, clearly there is a basic structure for an optimal team composition. Every team needs a tank, healer and DPS all to varying degrees.

Considering that team composition is so essential to a win, and that each player usually has a preferred role in which they are most skilled, it seems to be a huge oversight not to incorporate role preference in matchmaking.

A team with mains in all roles has a higher skill rating than a team with 6 support mains. I mean, you could tell players they should learn all roles, but that isn't how the pros do it and that isn't how the community turned out. It's just a matter of time before Blizzard realizes this.
I swear to god, if you are one trick with tons of hours and stuck in low ranks, ur doing it wrong. Stop maining!!!
Yes, Scott actually did address that exactly...