Report system is a failure

General Discussion
1 2 3 22 Next
Highly Rated
I'm gonna make this short and sweet. The reporting system is a failure. Why do I say this?

1. The community is toxic. Not every game. But every session I play, be it lucioball... quickplay.. or comp.. I see at least one person who deserves some form of reprimand based on the categories in the system .

2. No one fears the system. Take a look at the title of the now viral 2k+ report troll. "Lol one week ban" And can you blame him? This is his THIRD suspension, he has a year chat ban, and averages 4 reports PER DAY, if we assumed he began playing at launch.

3. He is one of the worst offenders.. and looking at the stats I mentioned, you can see why. It's an incredible pace to keep up. But if the WORST offender is only getting a 7 day wrist slap... and he gets reported minimal 4 times per day...

4. The rest of the community is literally being unchecked.
I am not going to defend the jerk who got banned, because I do feel he is toxic and hurts the community. But since when did playing the game bad become a bannable offense?
Highly Rated
08/28/2017 08:29 PMPosted by Bkmagemasher
I am not going to defend the jerk who got banned, because I do feel he is toxic and hurts the community. But since when did playing the game bad become a bannable offense?
Never?
Highly Rated
Very good point.

I enjoyed Jeff's post at the time for the same reason I enjoyed watching Taylor Swift get ethered by Kim Kardashian and her national snake day post. Because I like seeing a liar get caught out on in a lie, even if go back to not giving a care about that person immediately afterwards.

But if you look past the sick burn that Jeff laid down on this dude, it does expose a pretty troubling aspect of the report system. This guy is a repeat offender and one of the worst players in the game, and the number of report he's gotten is staggering. If this guy cannot get a permanent ban, how can we realistically expect any other toxic report to be worth anything?
08/28/2017 08:29 PMPosted by Bkmagemasher

When you agreed to the TOS. Section 1. C. x. 2. Harassment, “griefing,” abusive behavior or chat, conduct intended to unreasonably undermine or disrupt the Game experiences of others, deliberate inactivity or disconnecting, and/or any other activity which violates Blizzard’s Code of Conduct or In-Game Policies.
08/28/2017 08:49 AMPosted by Ceaya
I'm not wasting my time begging Blizzard for an unban. 1 week is a tiny amount of waiting time.
This is 'fear' the reporting system invokes from a guy with 2k+ reports against him.
Absolutely agree with the OP.
Report system and community's toxicity are the main problems of this game for me, the last Kaplan's post confirmed my bad impressions.
08/28/2017 07:44 PMPosted by Roaming
3. He is one of the worst offenders.. and looking at the stats I mentioned, you can see why. It's an incredible pace to keep up. But if the WORST offender is only getting a 7 day wrist slap... and he gets reported minimal 4 times per day...
Technically, Jeff never specified what was the penalty to the suspended account, he just said it was the worst offending account. For all we know the OP may be referring to another account.
Been tellin you this for months.
08/29/2017 08:40 AMPosted by Kyaw
Technically, Jeff never specified what was the penalty to the suspended account, he just said it was the worst offending account. For all we know the OP may be referring to another account.
Maybe I misunderstood but...

1. OP complained about a one-week ban
2. Jeff traced the forum post IP, found a suspended account
3. That account has 2k+ reports

It would be pretty amazing if OP had two accounts with simultaneous suspensions, but I think it's far more likely it's the same account.
08/29/2017 08:58 AMPosted by Roaming
Maybe I misunderstood but...

1. OP complained about a one-week ban
2. Jeff traced the forum post IP, found a suspended account
3. That account has 2k+ reports

It would be pretty amazing if OP had two accounts with simultaneous suspensions, but I think it's far more likely it's the same account.
Playing devil's advocate here, but multiple accounts can share the same IP address. So the forum account and the suspended account are possibly two different entities.

Blizzard has even stated themselves that they have the right to not give the details of the punishment dealt, the account OP was referring to may have been different to the one Jeff was referring to.
You're missing the point, that we are going to trend towards seeing more action being taken in the future for the report system.

This is a good thing, I can see your frustration with it being too small of a step, but I wouldn't mislabel it as a "swing and a miss". More like: a baby crawl in the right direction.
08/29/2017 09:04 AMPosted by Kyaw
Playing devil's advocate here, but multiple accounts can share the same IP address. So the forum account and the suspended account are possibly two different entities.

Blizzard has even stated themselves that they have the right to not give the details of the punishment dealt, the account OP was referring to may have been different to the one Jeff was referring to.

I understand what you're saying... but at a certain point you gotta just accept that if something is 99% probable, it's not worth debating every little possible 'what if' scenario.
I'm gonna make this short and sweet. The reporting system is a failure. Why do I say this?

1. The community is toxic. Not every game. But every session I play, be it lucioball... quickplay.. or comp.. I see at least one person who deserves some form of reprimand based on the categories in the system .

2. No one fears the system. Take a look at the title of the now viral 2k+ report troll. "Lol one week ban" And can you blame him? This is his THIRD suspension, he has a year chat ban, and averages 4 reports PER DAY, if we assumed he began playing at launch.

You make some really good points and we agree. The reporting and punishment system is currently one of our prime focuses. You will be seeing a developer update about this very soon (we recorded it last week -- not sure when it's going live).

We have short, medium and long term plans and we haven't done a great job in communicating all of these things to you. In the short term we are re-evaluating every punishment and are in the process of converting silences over to suspensions. We're also increasing the length of suspensions. Pretty soon, we hope for silences to go away all together and only have suspensions and bans for punishments (with a few exceptions like forced BattleTag changes for naming violations). Also in the short term, we've been testing an email notification system to let you know when someone you've reported has been actioned. We cannot provide a lot of detail in these emails but they only go out if an action has taken place (meaning your report contributed to someone getting suspended). The other short term thing we just did was ban a number of accounts for boosting in Season 5. These accounts were actioned either yesterday or are in the process of being actioned. They will lose all Season 5 rewards.

In the medium term, we're looking to completely ban repeated Competitive offenders meaning if you've been banned for more than X seasons, we will ban you from ever playing competitive again. We also want to increase the email notification system to other forms of reporting as well as work on an in-game notification system to let you know that your reports are doing something (this will edge more into the long term section -- the in game part). For Season 6, we're going to be way more aggressive with boosting/throwing or any sort of SR manipulation. We have some very smart people who are getting very good at detecting this behavior and we are actively building systems (and punishments) around SR abuse. Also in the medium term, we have a new series of punishments we're going to try that escalates much more quickly (so you don't have egregious cases like the one you're referencing). Basically, extreme offenders will "strike out" of the game much quicker. As part of these increasing punishments, we're looking to make it so that offenders get blocked from Competitive play much sooner -- more details on this as we get closer.

In the long term, we really want to work on systems that encourage positive behavior and reward good players. It really bums us out to spend so much time punishing people for being bad sports. We like making cool, fun game systems -- that's what we do for a living. But because people seem to lack self-control or because people like to abuse anonymity and free speech we're put in a position of spending a tremendous amount of our time and resources policing the community. We will do this as it is our responsibility but we'd like to spend more time rewarding good players rather than having to focus on poor sportsmanship and unacceptable bad behavior so much. Like it or not, this is an "us, the OW community problem" and not just an "OW team problem". For better or for worse, we're in this together.

We're working hard to make changes. I hope you all do too.
Highly Rated
Much appreciated for the reply, Jeff.

A lot of us have been waiting for an update on this for a long time now.

We appreciate the work you guys are putting forward to make this community less toxic, it's probably one of the biggest issues on people's minds right now.
08/29/2017 09:18 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

You make some really good points and we agree. The reporting and punishment system is currently one of our prime focuses. You will be seeing a developer update about this very soon (we recorded it last week -- not sure when it's going live).

We have short, medium and long term plans and we haven't done a great job in communicating all of these things to you. In the short term we are re-evaluating every punishment and are in the process of converting silences over to suspensions. We're also increasing the length of suspensions. Pretty soon, we hope for silences to go away all together and only have suspensions and bans for punishments (with a few exceptions like forced BattleTag changes for naming violations). Also in the short term, we've been testing an email notification system to let you know when someone you've reported has been actioned. We cannot provide a lot of detail in these emails but they only go out if an action has taken place (meaning your report contributed to someone getting suspended). The other short term thing we just did was ban a number of accounts for boosting in Season 5. These accounts were actioned either yesterday or are in the process of being actioned. They will lose all Season 5 rewards.

In the medium term, we're looking to completely ban repeated Competitive offenders meaning if you've been banned for more than X seasons, we will ban you from ever playing competitive again. We also want to increase the email notification system to other forms of reporting as well as work on an in-game notification system to let you know that your reports are doing something (this will edge more into the long term section -- the in game part). For Season 6, we're going to be way more aggressive with boosting/throwing or any sort of SR manipulation. We have some very smart people who are getting very good at detecting this behavior and we are actively building systems (and punishments) around SR abuse. Also in the medium term, we have a new series of punishments we're going to try that escalates much more quickly (so you don't have egregious cases like the one you're referencing). Basically, extreme offenders will "strike out" of the game much quicker. As part of these increasing punishments, we're looking to make it so that offenders get blocked from Competitive play much sooner -- more details on this as we get closer.

In the long term, we really want to work on systems that encourage positive behavior and reward good players. It really bums us out to spend so much time punishing people for being bad sports. We like making cool, fun game systems -- that's what we do for a living. But because people seem to lack self-control or because people like to abuse anonymity and free speech we're put in a position of spending a tremendous amount of our time and resources policing the community. We will do this as it is our responsibility but we'd like to spend more time rewarding good players rather than having to focus on poor sportsmanship and unacceptable bad behavior so much. Like it or not, this is an "us, the OW community problem" and not just an "OW team problem". For better or for worse, we're in this together.

We're working hard to make changes. I hope you all do too.

He has spoken.