CPU or GPU first?

General Discussion
Hello guys could you help me? My actual config is the following:
i5 4570 @ 3.20
GTX 1050 Ti
16GB DDR3 RAM
Asus B85M-G Mobo
144hz monitor (no sync)
Slowly but surely I want to upgrade my config part by part. My goal is constant 144fps @ 1080p with ultra / epic. Currently with everything set to low during teamfights I can't keep 144fps (drops 20-30).
I want to get a GTX 1080 and an i7 4790K. My question is: which one first? GPU is tempting of course but I am afraid of bottleneck. On the other side I'm not sure upgrading the CPU first would solve my dropping issue (as far as I know OW is a massive CPU-based game). Thank you for your suggestions!
Woah CPU first definitely no point in bottlenecking your 1080 (if you buy it) and with the price drops coming after new ryen series and coffee lake you should go i7 7700K. You can clock it up to 4.0 in just bios settings in a half decent board. It will last and it's the best option for gaming atm. Also I recommend getting a monitor with sync but I'm assuming you already know that.
The 1050 is holding you back, yet the current CPU while good, will be bottlenecking the 1080. I'd say go for the i7 first.
cpu first! You might not even need the 1080 (I think you will but you never know - its cpu based game so)

also consider faster RAM
i would upgrade the fans
I'm not convinced all these CPU guys know what they are talking about. I recently upgraded from a Pentium G4400 to an i5 6600 and saw virtually no difference in any game but fallout 4, which is apparently very cpu dependent.
08/25/2017 08:06 PMPosted by Buttercult
I'm not convinced all these CPU guys know what they are talking about. I recently upgraded from a Pentium G4400 to an i5 6600 and saw virtually no difference in any game but fallout 4, which is apparently very cpu dependent.

Because your running stock and I'm assuming your bottlenecked (not sure what video card you have) but the 1080 is a beast card. And it bottlenecks so easy fallout 4 barly even runs my 1080 fans.
The 4570 is a 4th generation i5 ... it won't be bottlenecked from a 1080.

Get the 1080. You can double to triple your fps in certain games. You'll be lucky to gain 15 FPS shooting for the i7 itself.
I have a 4790k and a GTX 980ti and run at epic maxed out 144 fps. Why would you go for a 4790k though? Also you don't need a 1080ti lol. If you're going for the 1080ti then go for a new motherboard and ram along with a 7700k.

08/25/2017 08:06 PMPosted by Buttercult

You are correct that most people don't, but Overwatch is very CPU intensive. Also ram matters. I only managed to keep 240 fps without drops after overclocking my ram to 2400mhz. That's the lowest ram speed you should buy for Overwatch. With ddr4 that won't be a problem though.
I'd go for the gpu first for sure. Though yeah the cpu isn't that great, the upgrade you're thinking of isn't much better either. The 1080 will last you a lot longer too, even if you upgrade to that cpu you'll need an upgrade again in the near future. I'd get the gpu now, and save for a proper cpu\mobo upgrade in the future.
Meh, you can run Overwatch on an i3 at low settings. It's not THAT cpu intensive. No more than most games out there today.

Your Haswell i5 is actually a mid-tier cpu excellent for gaming. The 1050 on the other hand is an entry card.

HUGE difference between a 1050 and 1080, especially when it comes to PhysX. The video card is holding you back more than the cpu.
He want's to run the game on ultra/epic. It is THAT CPU intensive. Have you ever read the sticky by Blizzard?

"Overwatch is a heavily threaded game with fairly complex rendering features. It will use as much of your computer’s CPU and GPU resources as you allow."

If you let it, it will run your CPU at 100% as well as your GPU.
OP doesn't want to RUN it, especially not on low settings from what we've learned.
He wants to play it at epic at 144 fps.

Also it's not a 1050 it's a 1050ti. Okay?

Also OP the 4790k has an unlocked multiplier aka it's overclockable which isn't achievable with your motherboard. I don't recommend going with that processor and a 1080ti. If you want more help from somebody who builds gaming rigs, holler.
I've built gaming rigs for over 20 years for what it is worth.

Fact is, every game publisher claims their game is cpu intensive. When is that last time you HAVEN'T heard them say it?

That doesn't mean you have to buy the newest generation of processors every time a new game comes out. Haswell i5 is still a more than capable chip for gaming, especially if you're not multitasking.

BTW, in many instances ... the better the graphics the larger the load put on the GPU rather than the CPU. This is why some people get better FPS at higher video settings than on lower ones. Thus, the bottleneck.

I've personally witnessed i3s handle Overwatch ... I don't know what else to tell you. If his system is ALMOST doing what he wants now at lower settings, he's gonna get that extra 30 fps from the 1080 and beable to push way further. That's just fact. Whether EVERYTHING will be able to be on ultra? Not sure. But changing his CPU gives him a 15-20 FPS boost at most, I'll guarantee it.

And the 1050ti IS a low tier card. That's why it costs $150 while a 1060 is about $300, while a 1080 is about $600. You get what you pay for.

A 1050ti is NOT the same as a 1080ti or even standard 1080 ... not even on the same planet. lol
Anyways, I'm just trying to help someone out. Have no interest in debating this.

10 minutes and a few google searches for benchmark scores will tell you all you really need to know. Don't take our word for it ...
Probably the CPU first if you're dead set on it. May as well do the mobo at the same time and get something better for OC so you can put off upgrading the cpu for much much longer next time. For perspective, I got a good overclock ready mobo 8 years ago and it is still running strong, with a solid cpu.
I would get the GPU. It's the only part of your build that you can take when you eventually upgrade from skylake.
PS. You might just want to wait for the GTX 20s.

If your gonna shell out that kind of money for a big boy GPU ... why not get the latest? Or at the very least, 1080s might go slightly on sale.
Of course the GPU will make a much greater difference. The problem is the new generation Nvidia cards are 4-9 months away.
08/25/2017 08:56 PMPosted by Bobby
Of course the GPU will make a much greater difference. The problem is the new generation Nvidia cards are 4-9 months away.

And isn't that always the dang dilemma? lol
"Should I wait or should I go"

Honestly, if you don't want to wait ... a 1080 is gonna be pretty dang beastly for awhile, especially if you still game at 1080p. GTX 1080 can handle 1080 content in its sleep.