Reason for DM nerf

General Discussion
I think one of the reason why they nerf d.va's DM is because bliz wanted to somehow raise the pick rate of roadhog. And end the dive meta
Nerfing DM brings Reinhardt back not Roadhog. Because D.Va is/was just a Reinhardt with insane mobility.

Also I think they nerfed it, because it was annoying to play against and boring to play on yourself. She could just counter so many ults completely by holding one button.

Everyone who played D.Va before loved her cause he agressiv and aktiv playstyle. But after the damage nerf she just became a DM Bot, such a passiv playstyle. Totally ruined in my opinion.
Who knows the actual reason? We could speculate all day.

I prefer to think though that it had something to do with how fun Dva was to play.
08/22/2017 02:00 AMPosted by Monster

I prefer to think though that it had something to do with how fun Dva was to play.

DPS Pro players who can't stand damage being blocked? Sounds about right.

DM nerf won't bring Hog back. The Developers just don't like support heroes being alive, given they've nerfed both of their 'bodyguard' characters to be either trash or change their playstyle completely.
They way it is currently being exploited is bad as well. Gang up on some one and completely deny any capacity to fight back while her team murders them uncontested was cheap as hell.

When she dove and 1 v1 people she can do damage to them while they cant do dmage to her unless its a beam weapon it was a fair trade now that is the only way to get value out of d.va. By either completely removing a persons ability to participate in a brawl or completely throw counterplay out the window in the case of Winston or when shielded someone like pharah you would need yur own d.va to counter it.

These things were more an infrequent rarity when she was aggressive because she cant be in two places at once. They are at least fixing this aspect I'd rather they go back to season two state but this is something I guess. Will have to try her out PTR she is either going to be somewhat and enjoyable again albeit in a different way or garbage because of her trash survivability.
There are two camps with D.va: the camp that wants her to be a DPS power house, and the camp that liked her as a tank/bodyguard that could thrash the weak and ignorant.

Look, she's either going to be tough and fast, or deadly and fast, or deadly and tough, but she's not going to be tough, deadly and fast. And in this instance, I guess Blizzard reviewed how fun it was to go against DM and how fun it was to use vs. giving her more combat capability and how fun she would be on both sides of the windshield. Not surprisingly, people enjoy shooting people.

So yeah, she's going to be a fat Reaper for real now. With I guess sloppy helix rockets. Bad D.va's will still get wrecked, and good D.va's will have to relearn her... if they still care to anyway.
08/22/2017 01:43 AMPosted by Sponge
I think one of the reason why they nerf d.va's DM is because bliz wanted to somehow raise the pick rate of roadhog. And end the dive meta

Roadhog always hard countered D.Va before he got nerfed.

Chain Hook goes through Defense Matrix. It has no effect on his life.

If I had to guess, somewhere along the lines of "because people cried about it". Just like the Roadhog changes.
Personally, the only reason I find DM annoying is how she can switch it on and off without a base cooldown. So you can never really know for sure when it's safe to ulti.

Imagine the rage if Genji's Deflect worked like that. Similar thing.

Will the changes to DM be fair and balanced? I don't know, and I don't really have enough experience playing D.Va to form a valid opinion. But personally I think adding a CD would make it a bit less cheesy.
08/22/2017 02:23 AMPosted by Crepsly
Personally, the only reason I find DM annoying is how she can switch it on and off without a base cooldown. So you can never really know for sure when it's safe to ulti.

Imagine the rage if Genji's Deflect worked like that. Similar thing.

Will the changes to DM be fair and balanced? I don't know, and I don't really have enough experience playing D.Va to form a valid opinion. But personally I think adding a CD would make it a bit less cheesy.

It used to have a flat 10 second cooldown back in the day. D.Va was trash because of it.

It already has a 1 second cooldown between uses. Now it will have a 2 second duration for a total 17% uptime. It will be a trash ability.
08/22/2017 02:25 AMPosted by Splenectomy
It used to have a flat 10 second cooldown back in the day. D.Va was trash because of it.

It already has a 1 second cooldown between uses. Now it will have a 2 second duration for a total 17% uptime. It will be a trash ability.

I remember that, and it lasted 4 seconds IIRC? It's been awhile. lol

I do think 10 secs is too much. Maybe 6? Just enough time to where a team has a chance to push with an ulti. And enough where DM itself takes some skill with timing to use. You know, like Mei's wall or Genji's deflect, etc. etc.
They wanted DPS only players to have something to play (other than Hog) if the team balance required a Tank (other than Hog). But why the !@#$ would I want a DPS player to fill up a Tank slot when he's not going to tank properly cause D.Va can now DPS?

I pick D.Va cause I enjoy making sure my team don't outright die to Pharah missiles and random Junkrat grenades, etc. while I don't overextend. Now I have to rush in to KILL these heroes while hoping my healers heal me enough so I don't die first?

I don't play Widow cause I don't have aim/twitch Kephrii... I don't play Genji cause I don't have reflexes (and aim) like Seagull... I play D.Va cause I know when to engage, when to stay, and how to manage my Defense Matrix so my TEAMMATES who play as those heroes can do the killing unhindered.

If Blizzard thinks that to make a hero more FUN is to give them more KILLING potential despite their role. Might as well everyone go main DPS. 76 is enough for heals.
Makes little sense since old Hog was a strong counter to D.Va. It's his nerf that created this cacophony against Defence Matrix.
This move is boneheaded. Oh, let's also give D.Va a bunch of sassy retorts to her DM countering ults... just before we completely nerf her ability to do so.

It's gonna be great saying "good thing I brought an umbrella!" to Pharah when she now destroys me halfway through her ult and I only stop the first part. Or "maybe next time" to Reaper's Death Blossom... which then actually kills me because I can only save myself and my team from the first part of it.

Most of Soldier 76's and Roadhog's ult will just go off without much protection at all now.

What a freaking joke. The Overwatch team don't know what they're doing if they're making stupid moves like this to utterly ruin a character and take away what defines them.

Also massive hypocrites after saying they didn't want her to be a diving assassin and all that, when all D.Va players wanted was improved survivability. Then they remove her survivability even more and just turn her into said assassin by basically making her another assault now.

So annoyed right now. Hundreds of hours wasted on a now ruined hero whose identity has been changed entirely. Can't tank or protect, just another assault in tank's clothing.

And of course Blizzard won't listen to reason or feedback. She's this way on PTR, so she may as well just be patched into the final version of the game. No amount of saying anything reasonable will do anything to change that.
I've been saying this for so long. Dva DM is the problem. It is a easy solution to most any situation in engagements. Like or dislike I don't care. Sure it made dva great good for her. But it throws out other characters in the game. R.I.P. Roadhog. That's why she is getting this change.

I agree with this D.va was the main tank. That countered me as roadhog. I can't ult. I can't even hook and shoot a target or finish one. Just because she holds DM. The ability charges really fast. When used correctly DM feels almost limitless. She completely shuts down roadhog.
(D.va rebuttal) wait can't road hog hook dva? Yes he can. But what is dva gonna do after receiving the hook? DM. And DM so more. Making my hook and anything I do with the character nullified. If I target a squishy lol k DM. She is the main reason Roadhog sucks terribly. She completely shuts him down. She is the highest picked tank currently in pro level. Why? because the value of DM is too d*mn high.
08/22/2017 02:14 AMPosted by Darien

Roadhog always hard countered D.Va before he got nerfed.

Chain Hook goes through Defense Matrix. It has no effect on his life.

If I had to guess, somewhere along the lines of "because people cried about it". Just like the Roadhog changes.

Old Roadhog countered dva for one reason his Ohko. With that gone dva now has the advantage in various scenarios. Being able to completely block all incoming damage is huge! In most cases a game changer. ITs mobile and blocks all burst damage. Which is extremely annoying. Why? because in order to kill dva you need burst damage. Or she will fly home to her healer. Rinse and repeat. Look she's back now with another 4 seconds of DM.