So, Death Match proved to me that I'm the worst player

General Discussion
The beauty about last is that you have something to aim. Next match aim for 7/8 then 6/8 then 5/8 then top 4 then top 3 then top 2 then first
08/30/2017 01:31 AMPosted by RoseEmpress
08/30/2017 01:23 AMPosted by Antanca
I played about a dozen matches and every single one of them I was dead last with one exception.

I knew I wasn't that good at this game but really... I apparently am the garbage that garbage looks down upon.

Feelsgreat...

I know what you mean, but I'm still new to the game in general. And like what someone else said, the mode shows who could go solo and isn't like the normal OW modes where you rely on your other team members. I'm sure you'll get good though. :D

In your case, you have a definite excuse. I am over level 500 and still awful. I'm sure when you're level 100 you'll be better than I am now.
You are in bronze that is the bottom 5% isn't it ?

Anyways, it's a new mode with entirely new skills you need to win. I'm sure you'll get better the more you play that mode (if you enjoy it )
TL;DR: AFAIK there's no MMR system.

To put this in perspective, on PTR day 0, I ran into a game that eventually was filled with GM/T500/pros from teams I recognize, i.e. people good enough to get paid to play this game. My SR is silver and even if you overestimate it a little my actual skill is low plat at best so I was consistently 6-7th, even when people successfully went battle mercy/torb/orisa/lucio because the skill disparity was that great, even in the top 1%. I got my !@# kicked for 2 hours straight but I learned sooo much from it and even got PotG on Zen once and held first for a few minutes before I stopped getting lucky with right clicks. If you only care about winning go ahead and requeue; people already do that so eventually the skill level of the game gradually rises if it runs for a while. But all the same it's a great learning experience.
All my Quake and Unreal experience is paying off.

I'm wrecking with Pharah.
08/30/2017 02:06 AMPosted by Dysvalence

I thought so too and on the PTR it really was all over the place but in the live version it does seem try to match skill/mmr. This is all pure speculation but I feel this has also has a seperate MMR from qp/comp.

The first games I played yesterday were vs Bronze / silvers / plats and at the end of the night it was all high Master / GM / some Top500 (I'm High master in comp ). So the system does seem to adjust matchmaking and it does it quite fast actually.
08/30/2017 01:23 AMPosted by Antanca
I played about a dozen matches and every single one of them I was dead last with one exception.

I knew I wasn't that good at this game but really... I apparently am the garbage that garbage looks down upon.

Feelsgreat...

Just because you aren't good at death match doesn't mean you aren't good at the team play aspect. There's plenty of other modes you can shine in.
08/30/2017 02:25 AMPosted by notcash
08/30/2017 02:06 AMPosted by Dysvalence

I thought so too and on the PTR it really was all over the place but in the live version it does seem try to match skill/mmr. This is all pure speculation but I feel this has also has a seperate MMR from qp/comp.

The first games I played yesterday were vs Bronze / silvers / plats and at the end of the night it was all high Master / GM / some Top500 (I'm High master in comp ). So the system does seem to adjust matchmaking and it does it quite fast actually.

That's probably true. I played a few more games, had one where I did Winston and got 3rd place, another with Pharah and got... not last. lol.

Although like the MMR, I don't think there is one low enough to accommodate my skill (or lack thereof), considering I probably win like 10% of my QP games and don't even bother with Comp anymore because Bronze is simply not fun.
08/30/2017 02:02 AMPosted by Antanca
08/30/2017 01:31 AMPosted by RoseEmpress

I know what you mean, but I'm still new to the game in general. And like what someone else said, the mode shows who could go solo and isn't like the normal OW modes where you rely on your other team members. I'm sure you'll get good though. :D

In your case, you have a definite excuse. I am over level 500 and still awful. I'm sure when you're level 100 you'll be better than I am now.

Am I correct in assuming that you played mostly Pharah during your matches ?

Because she's surprisingly ineffective in this game mode - her time to kill is one of the slowest in the game, and the close constraints of most of the areas of the map puts her well in range of most characters.

If you try to stick to the outside area you'll have better luck - but you'll also be stuck waiting for other people who come to you instead of actively seeking people out.

Keep at it though - you'll improve with time, and the current MMR for this thing is probably still calibrating.
There seems to be no skill-based matchmaking, and DM attracts all the Diamond+ DPS mains with gold portrait borders.

If you're not that, don't bother. (speaking from personal experience)
08/30/2017 02:41 AMPosted by Pulsefire
08/30/2017 02:02 AMPosted by Antanca

Am I correct in assuming that you played mostly Pharah during your matches ?

Because she's surprisingly ineffective in this game mode - her time to kill is one of the slowest in the game, and the close constraints of most of the areas of the map puts her well in range of most characters.

If you try to stick to the outside area you'll have better luck - but you'll also be stuck waiting for other people who come to you instead of actively seeking people out.

Keep at it though - you'll improve with time, and the current MMR for this thing is probably still calibrating.

I tried Tracer and Pharah at first... neither I did very well with. Tracer was just too squishy and I don't aim well enough to finish people off in one clip. Pharah, as you say, takes too long to kill people. I did much better with Winston. Hell, even I even saw all these battle Mercys running around and thought I'd give that a go and didn't do half bad.
08/30/2017 01:33 AMPosted by GroozL
Maybe this mode can be an eyeopener to a lot of people who think they're doing good in the game, and carrying their teammates, when in fact they are playing the game the wrong way and make it harder for their team to win.

It proved I was right about carrying people.

Top 4 90% of the time at least. Only got bottom 4 joining late game or when everyone else was insanely good.
My first game I was put in was full of masters/gm and I was dead last with -1 kills, 2nd game was the same but I left halfway through. 3rd game I was put in seemed to actually be balanced with people around my level, high plat/low diamond and I came first.

The win doesn't make up for the losses, it was extremely un fun and will probably not touch the mode again.
haven't tried DM yet, but considering my adventure on arcade 1v1
you'll have an archenemy on the garbage skill sir.

i'll out garbage you so hard.
I love DM i won with symmetra and no turrets, really goes to show you who the skilled players are since no team to drag you down
Haven't played yet, but I'm dead certain I'll be the same. Can't hit things to save my life and too much of a mindset of a support, I guess.
Is it fun at least, OP? Do you just not get the kills or do you die a lot as well?
08/30/2017 03:06 AMPosted by blueberry
Haven't played yet, but I'm dead certain I'll be the same. Can't hit things to save my life and too much of a mindset of a support, I guess.
Is it fun at least, OP? Do you just not get the kills or do you die a lot as well?

If you know you're going to suck, screw around. Pick Rein and charge around like an idiot.
I am a Diamond player and while I am not the best, I am certainly not the worst either. Yet I kinda suck at FFA deathmatch, why? Because my strength lies in game knowledge, call-outs and teamwork, not in 1v1 duels, which is why I play tanks. So yeah, you are not the worst player, duels might not be your strong area just like me.

You are a fish trying to be on top of the tree, your strength is to dive and swim, not climb. If that makes any sense :)
08/30/2017 03:06 AMPosted by blueberry

Eh... often it was not very much fun at all. Maybe if I were better it would be but it's kind of a hollow experience. Some games I was about 1:1 kills, sometimes worse than that. I noticed sometimes even the leaders didn't have a great ratio either, they were just getting more.
I tried playing it, went Roadhog the first time and came out second. Tried my hand at other heroes the next round and kept getting headshot by Hanzo, scattered by Hanzo, flashbanged and killed on spawn by McCree and tripledink and dashed by genji. Came last, with four times as many deaths as kills. Got all of my kills as Mercy.

I'm bad and need to git gud lol :D