D.Va Mains thoughts on the changes

General Discussion
08/31/2017 11:49 AMPosted by Chublis
D.Va Mains thoughts on the changes: It sucks, because she's not invincible and doesn't do millions of DPS.

That's literally what I hear when D.va mains complain

What damage? She hasn't had damage since the infamous S3 or whatever

What invincibility? Once DM is down she dies quick as hell.

It's nobodies fault that the D.vas you were playing against were smarter than you and stayed with their team and retreated at all the right moments, then blocked your ult when your dumbass walked right in her face in the most obvious HURR DURR GET RDY FOR ULT way you possibly could.
08/31/2017 11:32 AMPosted by Ace
08/31/2017 11:30 AMPosted by mcsphazatron
I hope whoever greenlighted these changes gets pushed down a marble staircase covered in legos.

These changes are bad and Blizzard should feel bad

That's a little extreme don't you think?

Her changes were a little extreme, so it's justified
08/31/2017 11:49 AMPosted by Chublis
D.Va Mains thoughts on the changes: It sucks, because she's not invincible and doesn't do millions of DPS.

That's literally what I hear when D.va mains complain

Literally DVa isn't a tank anymore and they are trying to make her a dps but she still doesn't do any damage
08/31/2017 11:54 AMPosted by Kyokkai
What damage? She hasn't had damage since the infamous S3 or whatever

What invincibility? Once DM is down she dies quick as hell.
When did I say she had high damage and invincibility? If you actually read my post I was saying that D.va mains wouldn't be happy UNTIL she had those things. Way to go, dumbass.
It's nobodies fault that the D.vas you were playing against were smarter than you and stayed with their team and retreated at all the right moments, then blocked your ult when your dumbass walked right in her face in the most obvious HURR DURR GET RDY FOR ULT way you possibly could.
The way you say that almost sounds as if she's if she's viable if played well and as part of a coordinated team, in spite of her nerfs.

What an utterly self-defeating point. Well done again, dumbass.

Overall I rate your post 2/10 because it was utterly uninformed, totally misrepresented my own initial post but at least gave me a bit of a laugh. Thanks for that.
I'm curious how many of you that have all these concerns have spent time playing her on PTR?

Yes she loses meka a bit more, but you just need to manage that as with the last nerf.

There is definitely loss, but there is gain too. If you want to play her the way you've always been, you will lose out. You will need to adapt to her strengths now. She is not bad.
I was a little worried, but I love her. I think the DM nerf is too much, but I'm not a DM bot, so it's not that much of a problem. Three seconds would suffice.

Regarding blocking ults, there are a LOT of character abilities that block my ult.

IMO, the missiles make her more viable against Doomfist.
08/31/2017 11:57 AMPosted by Irres
I'm curious how many of you that have all these concerns have spent time playing her on PTR?

Yes she loses meka a bit more, but you just need to manage that as with the last nerf.

There is definitely loss, but there is gain too. If you want to play her the way you've always been, you will lose out. You will need to adapt to her strengths now. She is not bad.

I haven't gotten on the ptr since I play on console but I have watched a decent amount of pro ptr pugs and it feels like whenever DVa is played she just gets shredded and is just a giant ult battery and she is't putting out very much damage either
08/31/2017 10:12 AMPosted by Ace
Personally I feel the changes to D.Va will make her weaker overall as a hero but the good D.Va players will now shine a bit more than players who don't necessarily play her.

The gap between a good D.Va and a bad one may very well be a bit larger, but that doesn't really matter.
The way you say that almost sounds as if she's if she's viable if played well and as part of a coordinated team, in spite of her nerfs.

What an utterly self-defeating point. Well done.

Um... do you have some sort of reading impairment?

The D.va I'm talking about is the D.va BEFORE this PTR nerf happens.

Afterwards? With no DM there is ZERO reason to be near the team you need to be diving or you will not be pulling any weight whatsoever...

Except after PTR she has neither the damage nor the surviviability to be as useful at diving as Winston.

After ptr AFTER PTR she will no longer be able to fulfill any role.
It's not a rework, it's a nerf. Let's start by making that clear. Now, I'm not sure if it will "kill" her like so many are saying but it will definitely bring her pickrate down. This nerf also gives Reaper an indirect buff, he'll now have no trouble taking D.Va out of her mech.

This is the direction the devs are taking so we'll have to adapt I guess but maybe to help D.Va out a little bit they could give her 400 armor/200 health back like she used to have before, that's just my opinion though.
This is what was wanted. Not missiles
S2 Dva (400 Ar / 100 Hp )(Weapons: 8 pellets@3 damage each)

DM bug fix (So people couldn't shoot you while they were in your DM.)

A slight movement speed increase while firing. (So that people just couldn't walk away from your primary dmg zone.)

Give indicators of how long she can use her DM. Ex. When looking looking at a enemy D.va's DM it has a thin red haze in it. As the DM gets depleted the haze becomes more and more transparent. Or for simplicity's sake just put projection of the matrix meter bar over her head while she is using DM.

Its like asking grandma to get you a Xbox for Christmas but she gets you a PlayStation. PlayStations are fun and you're grateful you got it. But you really just wanted the Xbox.
...The way you say that almost sounds as if she's if she's viable if played well and as part of a coordinated team, in spite of her nerfs.

What an utterly self-defeating point. Well done.

Afterwards? With no DM there is ZERO reason to be near the team you need to be diving or you will not be pulling any weight whatsoever...

Except after PTR she has neither the damage nor the surviviability to be as useful at diving as Winston.

That's funny. I easily got gold elims with the new changes. And I worked with my team to try to keep them alive. That's the point of a tank.

Perhaps situational awareness is what separates people here.
Hate this ptr version even more than the live one. Go in, dump all your cooldowns and hope for the best, if you're not dead wait for 10 secs till DM and missiles are back up, go back and dump all cooldowns again. Literally the doomfist version of a tank except no one shot.
08/31/2017 12:00 PMPosted by Ace
08/31/2017 11:57 AMPosted by Irres

I haven't gotten on the ptr since I play on console but I have watched a decent amount of pro ptr pugs and it feels like whenever DVa is played she just gets shredded and is just a giant ult battery and she is't putting out very much damage either

I think myself objective because I play all the heroes. I gotta tell you, I was worried when they announced the changes, once I played it, I adapted quickly.
You will need more healer attention. You will need to really manage health, and a lot of times you will have to make a decision to take out a high value target and lose the meka.

But when it comes to taking out things like Widow, Pharah basically any squishy you are a greater value to your team now.
Hitting headshots with baby dva will become big now to get back into Meka, there will be some skill differentiation here moving forward.

Mei is no longer your archnemesis, Reaper is. Possibly Soldier and McCree too, but the ones I saw on PTR were not good enough to cause problems for me, but theory says if I am on the other side I would be able to bring the Meka down.
Widow stands no chance against you, fire your missiles, then follow up or not. She won't be able to hit crit shots on you unless you can't identify where she is.

As a Pharah player I am slightly concerned with the new DVa, and the change to Orisa, Both are more effective against Pharah alone now.

About the missile dmg nerf, It may have been too much, but I have only seen the nerfed value and I can guess they nerfed it because it was too strong against the other tanks. Against squishies it is still very effective paired with your thrust, fusion canons and bump+melee.
Dva got the hog treatment, both were in a really good balanced place already before the nerfs but they got them anyway. I didn't even see that many people complain about the two.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

That's funny. I easily got gold elims with the new changes. And I worked with my team to try to keep them alive. That's the point of a tank.

Perhaps situational awareness is what separates people here.

I haven't been able to try it yet but it's worrying nonetheless.

Who cares if you got gold Elims? I got gold elims plenty with S5 D.va even.

D.va needs situational awareness anyways, if you're not blocking the right damage from the right source you're wasting matrix. If you're not defending/attacking the right targets at the right times you're not doing it right.

So.. y'now situational awareness is simply part of her, it's something everyone who mains D.va has developed so don't even give me that nonsense. You lack awareness with D.va then you spend the match demeched.

That's the point of a tank eh? So we nerf her tank ability to make it less than half as effective.

In PTR she is now a full dive tank but she doesn't have the survivability and she's still not as capable as Winston.

Now she's even less functional for defense than Rein and Orisa too.

They removed the tanky aspect about her. So either we need compensation for it in the form of defense or they need to piss off with the missile nerf.

You can't really talk much either, our comp stats with D.va are pretty close despite you having significantly more hours than me.
08/31/2017 12:08 PMPosted by Zorro
Hate this ptr version even more than the live one. Go in, dump all your cooldowns and hope for the best, if you're not dead wait for 10 secs till DM and missiles are back up, go back and dump all cooldowns again. Literally the doomfist version of a tank except no one shot.

Literally DVa mains will now become baby DVa mains
Oy vey. Where to start. Let's start from the beginning, eh?

Original D.Va, Season 1. She wasn't an ideal main tank, but with enough healing behind her, she could pull it off. She was much better at initiating the fight, which is what they said her intended purpose was. With everyone standing off across from each other, it's easy to just hide there behind shields and firing at each other ad infinitum. D.Va broke the stand-off by charging in, DM up, right into Reinhardt and shoving him backwards (as long as your team follows behind you). Personally, I loved original D.Va, flaws and all, and despite her being low in popularity, I made it work and did well S1 and S2. R.I.P. launch D.Va.

Tweaked D.Va. This D.Va was buffed, could bring up DM at will, walk faster while firing, had more health, and through the magic of Ana, became nigh immortal. I won't lie, it was a rush. Especially if you were already a D.Va main, the buffs were pretty nice on their own. Ana added to the mix, though, brought it over the top because she could bring you back from near death in record time as if they didn't just whittle you down. I can see how that would frustrate people. You can still see people raging about it today. It was fun from the D.Va side of it, but honestly, it was a perfect storm of bad timing and no one could have predicted the impact Ana would have.

Nerf-D.Va. This is modern D.Va, post-MegaThread, post Ana nerf, the DM-Bot (as some call her). She has much less armor, much more health, a fixed DM field (thank god for that), less damage, but is much more squishy and thus can't initiate like she used to because you'll get melted out of the MEKA faster than you can say "WTF just happened??". She requires a significantly different play-style compared to D.Va's past, but is still very viable, still popular, though in a much different way (much more protective tank and less of an initiator). Unfortunately, many people find DM to be stifling (at least that's the line the devs are using). So this D.Va is also not long for this world either. Some blame the Dive Meta on her and as we all know, the Meta can't be allowed to linger, and thus we bid thee a fond farewell. I stayed loyal because I'm a D.Va main, but she was the least favorite of all the D.Va iterations for me personally. Protecting your teammates is cool and all, but it's not the play style that originally drew me to the hero (I adapted, though).

PTR-D.Va/Future D.Va - Currrently testing on the PTR. We're all probably familiar with the changes. 2 second DM, and a new ability, micro missiles. Unfortunately she's still in the body of squishy DM-bot D.Va and so she can't initiate all that well, and if you miss enough of your missiles while engaging, well, you're toast. This D.Va is a weird sort of compromise between all the previous D.Va's and is not particularly good at any of it. She's not great at protecting, not great at killing, not good at initiating, and takes damage like crazy if you're not paired with someone who can shield you (Zarya, Winston). Especially at higher ranks where they miss a whole lot less, prepare to de-mech. A lot. It's a lot more fun than DM-Bot D.Va, but not as great as even S1 D.Va because you're just constantly melted by the enemy team. Without DM to save you and help you flee (let's be honest, you probably burned it while initiating so that you don't get de-meched mid-boost and it's only 2 seconds long) and very little armor to save you, no healing abilities, and a giant crit box, well... it usually ends with you standing in front of the enemy with no MEKA. (Unless they're poor shots. In which case, use that to your advantage and wreck things. And then run, because don't forget, you're still in the body of squishy DM-Bot D.Va.) I don't know that's it's better just because it's more fun because there's something to be said for the utility of DM, especially because it's one of her core abilities. The missiles alone don't make up for the loss of that, though they are a blast to use and super-useful in doing burst damage to squishies. She's just in a weird limbo now where I can't figure out what the point of her is. She's not tanky enough to do tank stuff anymore. Any DPS that can aim properly can easily melt her, especially if she's already burned her missiles and DM is on cooldown (because it's 2 seconds long and takes an eternity to charge). Meh. It's fun in casual play, but I'd be hesitant to use her in comp. I think her usage will spike initially, and then drop once people realize she has no staying power.