Out of curiosity, Why the self damage on D.Va rockets

PTR Feedback
For Junkrat/Pharah it was sort of a "You messed up" you were attacking way too close and you lost a chunk of health because of it.

But because of how low the Splash Damage is for Rocket Barrage, it only actually does 56 Damage to D.Va.

Its not high enough to be a punishment for bad positioning, and to actually be damaged by the explosion requires you to literally be standing face first to a wall/shield.

So whats the point?

Im not saying "NERF THIS" or "REMOVE THIS" Im just curious.
Wait... so we're supposed to use a self damaging attack on a character that has to get close to do any damage?

Oi....
Well they also have wind-up, long fire duration, projectile speed and "blind the user" so I'm guessing self damage and spread were the only draw-backs they hadn't added and I'm sure random spread will be coming soon.
09/07/2017 02:43 AMPosted by Zan
Well they also have wind-up, long fire duration, projectile speed and "blind the user" so I'm guessing self damage and spread were the only draw-backs they hadn't added and I'm sure random spread will be coming soon.

Don't forget a movement/turning speed slow while firing.
09/07/2017 02:43 AMPosted by Zan

My point was its not really a drawback though.

54 Damage to yourself when you have 600hp really isnt a huge concern.

When say, Pharah and Junkrat used to do considerably more to themselves in the long run.

Im not saying we need to change it or remove it. I was just curious why it even existed when the window for self damage is so relatively small and the damage its self is pretty much a non issue.
They do markedly more than 54 damage to you when you don't have armor up, I've dove a character, lost armor and then killed the both of us with rockets at point blank range several times on PTR to the point where I think the self damage is a lot more relevant in testing than on paper.

I think every thing they did to make Micro Missiles so awkward was purposeful "balancing" to compensate for how much damage they could do - not that I agree with it.
Because with Dva, everything she does must be accompanied with a long list of stipulations. It's not okay for Dva to be able to just use her abilities like every other character.

Micro Missile:
- long cool down
- self damage, even though she fights from close range
- delay... because aiming, pressing the button, and then having to wait even longer while the enemy player starts hopping around the screen like a spider monkey makes it fair for DPS mains.
- low damage - unless you miraculously hit all the missiles which litellarly no one can do.
- missiles are slow, because of course they are.
- only elite DVa players can track and lead at the same time! We should get duo mouse support for Dva.
You're asking purely why? The reason is because that's the default.
It can go beyond 100 HP if you don't have armor, though.
It's because some intern designed it and slapped it onto dva as compensation for removing 2 seconds of her matrix. They're just that badly designed honestly.
bc she has 600 hp/armor, is highly mobile, and is now capable of large burst damage. without weaknesses like self damage and large (albeit only front facing) crit box shed be broken.