"Kill yourself" should have little to no tolerance

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 26 Next
09/12/2017 04:37 PMPosted by Marloblando
We differ on what "trash talking" means.
Evidently. You seem to think it matters.
Plausibility is irrelevant. If you don't want people to kill themselves, don't tell them to kill themselves. The burden is not on them to interpret your meaning as something other than what you actually said, the burden is on you to speak clearly.

It's not their responsibility (based on arbitrary and undefined notions of "common sense" to boot, per your arguments) to assume that you didn't really mean what you said. It's easier altogether for you to simply not say the words.
Very well, from now on I will speak completely literally and unambiguously. No euphemisms, sarcasm, jokes or metaphors, because heaven forefend I offend or upset someone due to a misunderstanding (which is virtually impossible not to do in this day and age).

My fear with your argument (and I think many share this fear) is the very plausible threat of the slippery slope of censorship. People are finding more and more things offensive by the day, and if we start stamping them out, there's no telling where that ends.

So I say give the edgelords their pathetic little insults.Free speech is an all-or-nothing thing.

What's to misunderstand about "kill yourself"? It's as straightforward an utterance as you could ever make. You're simply assuming, based on no evidence, that everyone will magically know you didn't really mean it--or you will fault them if they don't. Once again, it's easier to not say the words.

Basic human decency is not difficult.
FYI these types of posts are what anyone who types KYS wants to see as a response.
09/12/2017 05:01 PMPosted by LadyDarkling
FYI these types of posts are what anyone who types KYS wants to see as a response.
Right. We should all shut up and do nothing about it. Internet's gonna internet after all...herpaderp...

Exactly. They just want to see you arguing with them so they can continue to waste your time. Their mind is never going to change. That's the problem with toxic people, they never change. Just like to troll for laughs.
09/12/2017 05:03 PMPosted by ReaverMadnes
Right. We should all shut up and do nothing about it. Internet's gonna internet after all...herpaderp...

Yes because that's exactly what I said word for word. Nope no strawmanning or misrepresentation here.
09/12/2017 05:00 PMPosted by Marloblando
What's to misunderstand about "kill yourself"? It's as straightforward an utterance as you could ever make. You're simply assuming, based on no evidence, that everyone will magically know you didn't really mean it--or you will fault them if they don't. Once again, it's easier to not say the words.

Basic human decency is not difficult.
If you have no intention of killing yourself, being told to kill yourself by a total stranger online (even if, like you, they interpret it literally as a command that must be undertaken), it will be as ineffectual and inoffensive as someone telling you that the sky is blue. You're not going to suddenly become suicidal because a person said a 3 letter acronym to you based on your performance in a video game.

If you perhaps do have an intention of killing yourself (and greatest sympathies if you do), you aren't going to do it at the behest of some nobody who's name or face you don't know on the internet.

Tell me where the problem lies.
09/12/2017 04:58 PMPosted by ReaverMadnes
09/12/2017 04:45 PMPosted by Disco
if you truly thought KYS was some heinous offense, you would have used more direct methods of contacting blizzard.
OP said when he started this thread that he actively reports toxic behavior. What more direct methods should he use? Should he be calling Jeff Kaplan at home?

The whole point of OP's post was to express reporting may be falling on deaf ears, and it kinda seems that way to me. However, the thread devolved into a bunch of whinging by people that value saying hurtful things over others' feelings.

Yeah. Pretty much that.

Always have to keep in mind, to provide any appropriate grounds for making a point, you always need evidence to support a good argument.

I had a story to tell, sadly without any tangible evidence to back it, just the hopes of people that might be able to relate and understand (most likely from similar experiences they've encountered).

It did, and now there is evidence and support to signify that there are people that agree it's a concerning matter. Some from people who were willing to share more than they should have ever been asked to.

Also, evidence of people whose support against it seems a little more flimsy and flawed on why they're against it, and have honestly contributed nothing more than reiterated statements, trolling behavior, or stubborn viewpoints to be defended with very specific counter narratives that miss the concern of the main issue.

Overall, yeah. I'm pleased with what this provides. I've even edited and stated there should not be a dev response to it. Just acknowledge it and get it done. We can figure out the improvements on our own.

No. Instead of arguing with trolls, instead discuss ways for a system to work in getting rid of toxicity, OR continue to call on Blizzard to take a harder stance on this behavior.

The people who thinks typing "kys" is ok, is beyond saving
09/12/2017 05:09 PMPosted by MouthyRocket
...Right. We should all shut up and do nothing about it. Internet's gonna internet after all...herpaderp...

No. Instead of arguing with trolls, instead discuss ways for a system to work in getting rid of toxicity. To

The people who think that typing "kys" is ok, is beyond saving
Which is what OP was trying to do until the thread was hijacked by said trolls.
09/12/2017 05:12 PMPosted by ReaverMadnes
Oh, you're one of those people who automatically labels people with a different opinion to you as 'trolls'. Enjoy your echo chamber.
09/12/2017 05:12 PMPosted by ReaverMadnes
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No. Instead of arguing with trolls, instead discuss ways for a system to work in getting rid of toxicity. To

The people who think that typing "kys" is ok, is beyond saving

To be perfectly honest, trolls do a better job at driving the point. Prolonged engagement with them is the more pointless part of it all.

If there's no way or sense to further communicate to someone in a manner of intelligent conversation, just no point to further engage.
I'm also somewhat interested to know what the distribution of Gender and political bias is for the people who have commented on this thread so far. My guess is due to the fact that this is a game with a younger demographic chances are the majority are left with a few far left and probably more centrist (grow thicker skin folks) or slightly right leaning. Though I imagine that many would characterize the other as the extreme.
09/12/2017 04:58 PMPosted by ReaverMadnes
09/12/2017 04:45 PMPosted by Disco
if you truly thought KYS was some heinous offense, you would have used more direct methods of contacting blizzard.
OP said when he started this thread that he actively reports toxic behavior. What more direct methods should he use? Should he be calling Jeff Kaplan at home?

The whole point of OP's post was to express reporting may be falling on deaf ears, and it kinda seems that way to me. However, the thread devolved into a bunch of whinging by people that value saying hurtful things over others' feelings.

if you scroll down to the bottom of this page, there are 2 of many options for more direct methods. support and feedback.
Oh my god, what is wrong with you people, it's WORDS, WORDS. How sensitive are you if you get upset over what someone says online, grow a thicker skin.

see, now y'all triggered me, off to twitter and tweet how horrible of a company Blizzard is to my hard core leftist friends.
I agree certain reports should have an extremely expedited process, racism, sexism, telling ppl to kill themselves or threats of harm in any way, and other really terrible ways to treat your fellow mankind.