Mei's freeze is useless, yet it gets the most hate?

General Discussion
Maybe shorten the range on her left click a bit but reduce the time it takes to freeze someone? Build in cc on a primary without cooldown seems hard to balance.
Yeah, never got it. There is almost never in a game when I see Mei and think "Oh no". Mostly when I see enemy Mei It's just "Ok, jump around and shoot her from 10+ meters until she dies".

To counter Mei you need:
1. Keep range
2. Shoot at her
3. Repeat after cryo and she dies.

Also, a lot of people praise her right click as some godly weapon. But I assure you, if you can hit with that abomination of a gun, you are better off using McCree.
Mei's Icicle gun has:
1. VERY low DPS: 90. McCree has 140, for example. Mercy has 100.
2. Delay before you shoot
3. Travel time
4. Damage falloff
I haven't heard complaints about Mei in like a year what are you talking about.
So, um. I haven't played Mei in like forever, but I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

For starters, that list if anything shows the potential of Mei. You're essentially forcing out an ability with just your left-click, and that's good for your team in a lot of situations.

I will say that she needs a lot in other departments, a lot of the "Buff Mei" threads have great idea's that I back, but I honestly don't think lowering the freeze time on her primary is the way to go because even though it would help against the highly mobile heroes, it would make the less mobile heroes incredibly vulnerable.
09/13/2017 01:05 PMPosted by AConstelle
For starters, that list if anything shows the potential of Mei. You're essentially forcing out an ability with just your left-click, and that's good for your team in a lot of situations.

So you're saying, would that ability have like 5 escape skills instead of 20 - it would be better? Have you ever considered a career in politics? You would go far)
09/13/2017 11:49 AMPosted by sylc
09/13/2017 05:51 AMPosted by Mirrorkat
Mcree roll and Flashbang don't reliably counter Mei. He can be frozen rolling, and can be frozen before flashbang goes off

What?? Roll/Flashbang is way quicker and can easily counter her freeze.
I play a ton of Mcree. Roll doesn't do jack, however Flashbang works sometimes.
09/13/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Jinxed
09/13/2017 01:05 PMPosted by AConstelle

So you're saying, would that ability have like 5 escape skills instead of 20 - it would be better? Have you ever considered a career in politics? You would go far)

I could be reading it wrong, but if only 5 skills in the whole game could completely avoid freeze that would be broken. If it's 20, then that leaves room for you to use game sense and counter play, e.i. he just used Wraith, better chase him down.

Like I said in the rest of my post, she does need buffs but lowering the freeze time would just make less mobile heroes even more vulnerable. Then you know what happens? The enemy team will switch, and dive heroes become the only ones with a chance against Mei.
09/12/2017 03:30 PMPosted by DolphinJake
they're a noob or that they're a console player
PC elitist children are at it again
Wow,

I assume this buff from the OP is from someone who doesn't know how to play Mei.

You do realize she's one of the few characters in the game who can counter all but 5 characters in 1v1 engagements?

She directly counters:

Genji
Mccree
Ana
Mercy
Lucio
Reinhardt
Dva
Zarya
Sombra
Symetra
Torb
Doomfist

You know what I'm not even going to continue, because if the OP doesn't know HOW she counters these classes it's not worth my time to explain it.

L2Play Mei 2017.
09/13/2017 01:45 PMPosted by GradeÅ
Wow,

I assume this buff from the OP is from someone who doesn't know how to play Mei.

Wow,

Someone who barely got into gold talking about "how to play". This will be good.

She directly counters:

Genji

You couldn't even get your very first example right. Only a terrible Genji is countered by Mei. Dash is one of the easiest escapes from both Mei's left click and her ult. His passive wall climb and jump let him trivially counter her walls.

All a decent Genji has to do is stay out of close range with Mei, and there's nothing the Mei player can do to prevent that. In a ranged fight, Genji has a serious advantage. Or he can just ignore the Mei and go kill other targets.

McCree has an adantage over Mei. At range, his hitscan weapon gives him a large edge. In close, flash bang can end the fight. Of course Mei can dodge that if predicted with Iceblock, I've done it many times, but it's hard to do, and not reliable. Mei can win this, but has to outplay McCree.

Ana... ANA! As long as the bug that biogrenade stops Mei from healing in cryo-freeze (cryo-freeze purges debuffs, this interaction with Ana is listed as an official bug), she is one of the most frustrating counters. I mean, sure in a 1v1 only Mei should win, but being able to beat a support hero in a 1v1 isn't impressive. In actual games, Ana counters Mei.

I can't go on, you get the point.
so as someone who mains Mei currently, (I am only level 28ish, so ofcourse I'm still in low !@# levels) is it not worth me investing the time in her?.. (I have noticed that the Freeze is Rarely useful I find myself More Just headshotting Players from a Distance and Using the Ulti to freeze a few targets or just merely make everyone get off the point) is McCree really just that much of a Upgrade in comparison?
09/13/2017 01:45 PMPosted by GradeÅ
She directly counters:

Genji
Mccree
Ana
Mercy
Lucio
Reinhardt
Dva
Zarya
Sombra
Symetra
Torb
Doomfist
Uhm what?
Have you play Mei recently?
There is so many things wrong with your list.

Allow me to quote a comment I saw earlier on this forum:
09/06/2017 06:22 AMPosted by Knight

20 of the 25 heroes can escape unharmed easily.

Doomfist: Uppercut/Rocket Punch
    Genji: Swift Strike/Double Jump/Wall Climb
    McCree: Combat Roll (Not definite)
    Pharah: Jump Jet
    Reaper: Wraith
    Soldier 76: Sprint (Not definite)
    Sombra: Translocator
    Tracer: Blink/Rewind
    Bastion: Dead
    Hanzo: Wall Climb (Not definite)
    Junkrat: Concussion Mine
    Mei: Cryostasis
    Torbjorn: Dead
    Widowmaker: Grappling hook
    D.va: Boosters/Ejected
    Orisa: Fortify
    Reinhardt: Charge (Not definite)
    Roadhog: Dead
    Winston: Jump Pack
    Zarya: Particle barrier + one teammate with Projected Barrier
    Ana: Dead
    Lucio: Speed Boost (Not definite)
    Mercy: Guardian Angel + immunity to CC during G.A./Pre-change Resurrect (Charge dependent)
    symmetra: Dead
    Zenyatta: Transcendence (Charge dependent)

Please get it through your thick skulls, Mei's ult is a joke and is far too weak.
Literally 5 of the 25 heroes on the roster are incapable of getting out, all 5 of them are coincidentally not entirely viable right now, and almost none of them are played on the same team at the same time.
The only heroes Mei can somewhat counter is Reinhardt, Roadhog, Dva and heroes who lacks any mobility or an ability to get them to safety.

Mei get countered by long range shooters, multiple enemies at once and high mobility enemies who can use their abilities to dance around Mei.

Mei's strength isn't her freezing ability. It's her wall and Cryo-Freeze ability. Right now is she primarily used for stalling, and that's just boring. If Dva, Mercy, Bastion and Symmetra got a rework because they were unfun or had unfun abilities, then why is Mei fine and acceptable in her current state in the current character roster.
There is a reason why she has a pickrate below 1%, and it isn't because she is viable.
Wow... I was not expecting this thread to grow as large as it currently is. Let me just say thank you for all the people giving back their feedback.

It really means a lot. As someone that enjoys this character, I don't want to see Mei be worthless. She's what got me into this game.

I have gone through comments and have been making changes to the original post to keep this as fair and realistic as possible.
I do not want this post to be from a biased standpoint.

Again, my humblest thanks to all that contribute to make this game better.

-SolarBurn.
I've always wondered, what if they actually changed her Primary Fire?.. I've always presumed the reason blizzard wont buff her is because she has the capability to stun someone with their Left Click, the problem is the ability is either Way too OP or Way underpowered because they cant just let u freeze anything that comes 10meters of you and its ridiculous to leave her in a state where the only thing she'll freeze is some AFK guy or Merely someone who ignores u and gets caught out doing so.

so what if Right Click becomes her Basic Fire, Extending her Damage fall off Alittle bit.

and they make her Secondary Fire Something else completely?.. Maybe Firing globe of Snow which Decreases Movement speed of People hit?... it'd remove the stun factor and Slowing Enemys at Range would Assist her Primary shot While having counterplay via Shields or Blinks/Dashs.

this would push all her freezing ability into her ultimate, which has a Natural CD among more, so they could improve it to work properly (Jumping shouldn't Counter it and change Zaryas shield to Cleanse the Slowing Affect and Not remove the stun itself) to make it more impactful when used properly.

I like her Primary fires Concept but I think in game its Really just holding her back and Scaring blizzard off actually giving her the buffs she really needs.