Why you gained less than 5 SR or lost more than 50

Competitive Discussion
I'm going to try and just make a comprehensive post about this here because everyone keeps making posts about it and everyone keeps spewing nonsense that just isn't true.

There currently exists a situation where it may seem that you gain less than 5 SR after a win or lose more than 50 SR after a loss.

There are a couple of conditions that must occur before it happens.
1. You have a leaver on your team the match before.
2. That leaver must not be you.
3. You must have left before the end of the match but after the 2 minute grace period is up.

Now the next portion, there are two things that could be happening here.

One of them is, due to the fact that you also leave the match but are not classified as a leaver as someone else has already left the match before you, it doesn't properly deduct the SR you are supposed to lose.

For example, if you went into a match at 2500 SR, had the leaver and left after the timer, your SR would still say 2500 when you queued for the next match. The SR you were supposed to lose the first game is now applied at the conclusion of the second round, which while confusing is correctly altering your SR.

The second situation, is you may be getting the leaver penalty in addition to losing SR for losing the match previous. I don't think this is the case but it could be.

For example, you went into a match at 2500 SR, had the leaver and left after the timer, your SR would now say 2475 when you queued for the next match. Now because you also need a leaver penalty, it deducts another 25 SR at the conclusion of the next match. This would be the incorrect adjustment and is making you lose an additional 25 SR.

I believe that the first outcome is the more likely situation but I don't have evidence to back up my assertions but if someone can/could that would be appreciated.

How do I avoid this you might ask. The best way to avoid this is to wait until the very end of the match and not leave after the leaver grace period. This way, the loss is properly applied to your SR.

Hopefully, that explains what is going on.
Please stop making threads about it and try to direct everyone towards this. I hate seeing thread after thread about this popping up.
The answer is a terrible system, no amount of leaps of logic can justify it. The lowest possible gain in a win should be 20 with another 10 based on performance, same in a loss.
09/11/2017 12:56 PMPosted by Kori
The answer is a terrible system, no amount of leaps of logic can justify it. The lowest possible gain in a win should be 20 with another 10 based on performance, same in a loss.

I appreciate the comment, but that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

As to your comment, as far as you know that may already be the case that 20 is the standard win/lose and 10 is the max fluctuation. Or it may be 25 is the base and 10 is the fluctuation. Who knows.
09/11/2017 12:56 PMPosted by Kori

Are there flaws and quirks that need to be addressed? Sure, but no one needs to make leaps in logic to justify a system that works in hundreds of other games and works on undeniable mathematical principles.

Meanwhile, your suggestion would fail miserably because it doesn't take into account the differences in skill rating in calculating gain/loss.

Put it this way. The best chess player in the world has ~2800 ELO. He gets next to nothing for beating amateurs at 1500 because statistically hes expected to win 99.9999% of them. Yet, if there was some net minimum for winning he would just inflate his ELO infinitely and it would become meaningless and broken.
Can people confirm that this has happened to them as Teriball describes? I've only seen forum rumors, not confirmations.

Also, if it does happen to you, please cross post in the bug report forum so that the correct people see it.
09/11/2017 01:21 PMPosted by Kaawumba
Can people confirm that this has happened to them as Teriball describes? I've only seen forum rumors, not confirmations.

Also, if it does happen to you, please cross post in the bug report forum so that the correct people see it.

I don't have the links to them but there are some people who confirmed on other forum posts that what I said was what happened to them. The best though would be to get a VOD of two consecutive games where the first one has a leaver.
Last season my bf was grinding his way to diamond and never actually left a single match. There was only one person who was disconnecting on his team and did manage to get back in the end yet they did win the match. But at some point just at the cusp of diamond, he randomly gained only 4sr, despite getting 25+ sr on previous games and next game he got 28sr which pushed him to diamond.

A system that would punish players for not leaving games because someone else left the game is a trash system tho and needs to be fixed.
09/11/2017 01:21 PMPosted by Kaawumba

Without a video, there's no reason anyone should believe it happens. I've had leavers and left immediately after the 2 minutes and it never happens to me. People on the forums are NOTORIOUSLY bad at remembering what their SR was before a game, so they forget, assume they got some absurd amount of gain or loss, and post on the forums. I've never seen a video or even screen shots proving those "100+ SR lost for a defeat" or "+0 SR for a win" or the claims this thread is about.
This.
I have been reporting this for a while. No answer and no interest from anyone until now.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758736107#post-1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20757527957#post-1

I keep record of all my games in a spreadsheet. I am sure this is true, but for some reason it doesn't happen to everyone.