Increased motion sickness

General Discussion
Most FPS games give me some level of motion sickness but thankfully for the most part Overwatch been a nauseous-free zone for me. I'm not sure if it was a change to the death cams like I've seen mentioned or the crowdedness of Junkertown that has caused this new issue for me. Now it might just be that by the time Junkertown shows up in my map rotation I've just been playing too long but lately I've been experiencing motion sickness not too long after playing this map. It may have something to do with type of rotating platform on the map but I'm not really sure.
What I'm really asking here is has anyone else recently felt an increase in motion sickness while playing Overwatch? If so what do you think is triggering it, and what helps to alleviate it sooner? I love this game so much and I really don't want to have reduce my time playing.
I agree, I noticed the new swaying spectator cam/kill cam and it pivots very loosely on your target, it's bad. Just go back to the old cam, it was fine
I never had motion sickness in OW in particular.
Make sure you have set FOV to max and try to stay at some distance away from the monitor when playing.
I tend to get motion sickness very easily but have yet to have an issue with it in Overwatch, tbh. I turned off kill cams a long time ago though so maybe that helps?
09/26/2017 01:55 PMPosted by starfire
I agree, I noticed the new swaying spectator cam/kill cam and it pivots very loosely on your target, it's bad. Just go back to the old cam, it was fine

i think they should have an option to switch it back
09/26/2017 01:47 PMPosted by hufflescout
Most FPS games give me some level of motion sickness but thankfully for the most part Overwatch been a nauseous-free zone for me. I'm not sure if it was a change to the death cams like I've seen mentioned or the crowdedness of Junkertown that has caused this new issue for me. Now it might just be that by the time Junkertown shows up in my map rotation I've just been playing too long but lately I've been experiencing motion sickness not too long after playing this map. It may have something to do with type of rotating platform on the map but I'm not really sure.
What I'm really asking here is has anyone else recently felt an increase in motion sickness while playing Overwatch? If so what do you think is triggering it, and what helps to alleviate it sooner? I love this game so much and I really don't want to have reduce my time playing.
here is some tips that may or may not help as i am not effected by it

https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/how-to-avoid-motion-sickness-or-nausea-in-games/76444

Do you normally watch the kill cam or do you skip and watch the spectator cam during death? This was a major change that might be related.

A useful experiment to help us pinpoint if that is causing the issue is play with kill cam on and don't skip it for a night or two (or just stop watching that death cam) and let us know if you still are seeing an increase in nauseousness.

Other things that might have changed: did something cause your FPS to drop recently? Oftentimes, low framerate can contribute to motion sickness as well.

Not sure if it was said but adjusting the refresh rate of any fps game for me has helped tons with motion sickness.
09/26/2017 02:11 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Do you normally watch the kill cam or do you skip and watch the spectator cam during death? This was a major change that might be related.

A useful experiment to help us pinpoint if that is causing the issue is play with kill cam on and don't skip it for a night or two (or just stop watching that death cam) and let us know if you still are seeing an increase in nauseousness.

Other things that might have changed: did something cause your FPS to drop recently? Oftentimes, low framerate can contribute to motion sickness as well.

Welp this post is gonna go viral..
For me it is the new spectator cam while being dead, it wobbles around a lot if you move the mouse, the old cam was very steady and calm but after the Junkertown patch the new cam is very... "twitchy". I think some people like the new spectator cam because it gives a lot more view (since you can turn it more freely around the character you watch) but others may get this motion sickness feeling when watching it, maybe you could introduce a way to switch between the two camera settings (for those who don't like the new camera)?
Personally I find the extremely narrow FOV makes it worse. It's not as migraine inducing as bioshock 2 but can we at least get 110?
I only get motion sickness when playing Overwatch in 21:9 format because everything is way too much zoomed in for such a wide view. Not sure if vFOV would fix it, but dFOV most likely would.
Related: I have issues in Junkertown, in the outside area at the start. Thankfully, it's a short part of the map so it doesn't have time to get too bad, but I find the red outlines of enemies bleed into the terrain which makes them harder to spot, strains my eyes and is just generally uncomfortable to be around. If the whole map was like this, I can imagine I'd have to go have a lie down afterwards. First time and place I've had any issues in this game, in fact, first time in years I've had any problems with it.
Can't you just put an option to change it back?
09/26/2017 02:12 PMPosted by SirRokoDoko
Welp this post is gonna go viral..

Developer thoughts and replies to genuinely concerned people are so sparse, people think every post with a reply is going to viral. I don't mean to sound rude or anything but man that just sounds like an unhealthy relationship.
The new spectator cam definitely gives me motion sickness. It's the way it bobs around while moving the camera that does it. Head bob in games also gives me motion sickness, it's that same bouncy motion as the new spectator cam.

Why can I quote but not like Blizzard posts? This is good advice.

Hey thanks for the reply Jeff! I tend to mostly skip the kill cam unless I'm unsure of how I died (or if it was a truly spectacular way to go.) Between QP and comp today I played about 2 hours without skipping the kill cams, and I felt totally fine afterwards. I'll try to continue not skipping them since that seemed to help.
As for changes in my framerate , I'm unsure. I play on Xbox One so it's just not something I tend to think about that much.
Thanks for you time!
(P.S. - Thanks for adding voice lines in Hindi for Symmetra, the open ear Blizzard has to their community is truly appreciated.)
09/27/2017 02:46 PMPosted by hufflescout
Hey thanks for the reply Jeff! I tend to mostly skip the kill cam unless I'm unsure of how I died (or if it was a truly spectacular way to go.) Between QP and comp today I played about 2 hours without skipping the kill cams, and I felt totally fine afterwards. I'll try to continue not skipping them since that seemed to help.
As for changes in my framerate , I'm unsure. I play on Xbox One so it's just not something I tend to think about that much.
Thanks for you time!
(P.S. - Thanks for adding voice lines in Hindi for Symmetra, the open ear Blizzard has to their community is truly appreciated.)

Ok, this is very helpful. We think the new spectator cam is causing some issues for some players. We have some ideas how to improve the situation. Apologies for this.