Dev/Pro/Streamer Exclusive Discord feels wrong

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
When Epic Games released their Fortnite: Battle Royale mode, they opened a public Discord server to all players. They're completely transparent, and invite players to join the Discord server in first-party media.

They're setting a good example.

I believe the OW dev team should follow suit.

Exclusivity doesn't seem right to me. For months, the forums and the Reddit page have been the only tiny pedestals that players could ever talk about and relay information to the developers.

Straight from the horse's mouth, only a few developers actually spend the time to go onto the forums. Things fall through the cracks. The devs don't read every thread. The few that do, are swamped with responses that they can't possibly read every comment.

I do not believe nor trust the developers, when they say feedback from their exclusive Discord server and the feedback from the forums have equal weight.

Having that direct line of contact to the devs, where Discord literally flings a notification up onto their phones and computers, automatically means that certain players are getting their messages read more frequently than others.

It is impossible for them to have the same weight. Things discussed in Discord are simply more important, by nature.

I also think that the members of the OW dev team that don't participate in the forums, are more willing to respond to players on that exclusive Discord channel instead of the forums, because the Discord channel has more frank and earnest messages and a "safer" environment that won't have the same amount of toxicity as the forums.

If all voices matter, and all players are heard, then there shouldn't be a channel to accelerate communication that only a few limelight players have access to. All players should have access to it.

Blizzard, please consider opening up the Discord channel to the public, or create a sign-up to gain access to this Discord channel (with temporary links and such).

10/06/2017 05:09 PMPosted by BrokenStylus
10/06/2017 05:05 PMPosted by Hobotripin
It's really not hard to understand that someone who puts in 200-400 hours every season, is 4400+ SR, is a lot more valuable for feedback than someone who puts in 10 hours, is 1400 SR.

Doesn't matter.

Nuanced balance discussions do not make or break my argument.

I don't care if you think that Toblerone is the best candy, or that Godiva chocolates have the rudest fans, or that Hershey Kisses are more popular amongst younger crowds. It doesn't matter if objectively, KitKats have the highest sugar content of all candy bars. Everyone should have access to the room in which the chocolatiers reside in.

Communicating to the devs should not be a game of who can bang pots the loudest. It should be a back-and-forth dialogue, and currently the forums don't offer that.
Wait, you mean to tell me separate but equal doesn't work?
Highly Rated
Oh yes. I'm sure they'd love a discord version of these forums.

500 people "WHY U CHANGE MERCY BLIZZARD I HATE YOU."

Sounds like it'd be super fun to moderate.
10/06/2017 05:00 PMPosted by Raz
Oh yes. I'm sure they'd love a discord version of these forums.

500 people "WHY U CHANGE MERCY BLIZZARD I HATE YOU."

Sounds like it'd be super fun to moderate.

The difficulty in moderation should come with the territory of being the developers of a game, which they declared "the community's game".

If Epic Games can handle moderating their Discord (which I'm reading right now)and keep the chaos civil, then Blizzard can too.

There have been bugs and quirks in the game that I've been posting about for months, that are still in the game, leading me to believe that they haven't seen my bug report posts. Whereas, on Discord, everyone sees everything. You literally get a notification every time a new post is made.
It's really not hard to understand that someone who puts in 200-400 hours every season, is 4400+ SR, is a lot more valuable for feedback than someone who puts in 10 hours, is 1400 SR.

Maybe if the game was only built for those players in mind, but I recall Blizzard saying hey take low skill level players into consideration when it comes to balance too.

Atleast in theory they did.

Doesn't matter.

I don't care if you think that Toblerone is the best candy, or that Godiva chocolates have the rudest fans, or that Hershey Kisses are more popular amongst younger crowds. It doesn't matter if objectively, KitKats have the highest sugar content of all candy bars. Everyone should have access to the room in which the chocolatiers reside in.

Communicating to the devs should not be a game of who can bang pots the loudest. It should be a back-and-forth dialogue, and currently the forums don't offer that.
10/06/2017 05:08 PMPosted by LetterZero

Maybe if the game was only built for those players in mind, but I recall Blizzard saying hey take low skill level players into consideration when it comes to balance too.

20 million buy in for a OWL team, branded as esports game, seems pretty damn sure the game is built for those in mind. Also they can take the low skill players into consideration, doesn't mean they have to act on it, I can listen and ignore completely which is what they should do in regards to low skill players.

Doesn't matter.

I don't care if you think that Toblerone is the best candy, or that Godiva chocolates have the rudest fans, or that Hershey Kisses are way better. Everyone should have access to the room in which the chocolatiers are in.
No everyone shouldn't have access. I sure as hell wouldn't want 98% of the playerbase spamming me with the dumb stuff they post on this forum.
Yes I totally want 1000 bings a minute while I don't agree with the pros having an exclusive line to devs that's just torture
Nothing you can do about it, even if they expose one they will still talk to pros in private or other channels.
10/06/2017 05:13 PMPosted by Silentdeath
Yes I totally want 1000 bings a minute while I don't agree with the pros having an exclusive line to devs that's just torture

I'm willing to put up with that. And Discord has a mute notifications option.
10/06/2017 05:13 PMPosted by DoomfistMain
Nothing you can do about it, even if they expose one they will still talk to pros in private or other channels.

If it means that Blizzard has to set up a public Discord server, and discontinue the private exclusive one, then so be it.

We can't stop private messages with their personal accounts if the devs have willingly shared that information, but no "elite" group should be given a private room with the devs, while the rest of us get a forum and bug report system where over half of posts are never read.
Here's the thing: if you're going to hold the words of pros in higher regard than the general playerbase be honest about it.

You can't have a super secret club house that only lets in certain people, but then insist that those who are not let in are being held in equal regard.

That sows distrust.

Your actions are not following from your words.

Even if you are in actuality holding both groups in equal regard your actions are undermining your words.
10/06/2017 05:24 PMPosted by Azrael
You can't have a super secret club house that only lets in certain people, but then insist that those who are not let in are being held in equal regard.

That sows distrust.

Your actions are not following from your words.

Even if you are in actuality holding both groups in equal regard your actions are undermining your words.

Exactly. It's up to the players to hold the developers responsible for when they do something that seems untrustworthy.

Having a secret club is precisely that.

And no one has really called Blizzard out on it yet.
10/06/2017 04:57 PMPosted by Azrael
Wait, you mean to tell me separate but equal doesn't work?

Nonsense. It totally works. America tr- Oh. Wait.
10/06/2017 05:08 PMPosted by LetterZero

Balancing around silvers is the reason doomfist and ana are useless
yes, even when we wouldnt be able to write on discord.. i would like to see what they talk about and see their communication so we can talk about it as a whole on the forums.
At times it seems very much like communism. The top few choosing how things go down and getting the best of the best while everyone is left to suffer. That's how Blizzard run their feedback system.
What good would it do?

50 threads calling devs to be fired/replaced because they disagree with the balance changes or that Mercy is a straight woman who loves an Asian man instead of a lesbian who loves an Egyptian woman.

200 threads everyday whining about how Genji is op because people can't aim up.

300 threads on how Mercy isn't Mercy anymore and "I quit" posts, "boycott halloween event" posts.

800 threads on how D.Va is this or that.

Despite that, devs still listen to casuals. Genji's nerfs in 2016, Roadhog's nerfs, Junkrat's buffs, all because of casuals.
While I agree with you (I think.. kinda just skimmed it), I think opening the discord to the public would be an awful idea.. It would be total chaos, and it would make their discord unusable.

If they implemented something like a representative system, where a few normal players could join and be the voice of the common player, that might work, but that might also be a bit tedious for everyone, as it would probably involve voting, and lots of other government type stuff..

Another (probably better than the representative thing) solution is for any thread where the opening post gets, say, 150 or so net upvotes gets posted in their discord by a bot. That would give the threads that lots of people agree on a good chance to be seen by the devs.
Or how about they disband that selective feedback hurdle completely in favor of feedback from/balancing around the entire community, not just that 1%.