The Gold Portrait Experience.

Competitive Discussion
I almost have whatever the 1st portrait is.

I played a lot. Comp and QP. BUT I also played a lot of Arcade with my wife. I seem to level a lot playing with her...there is the 20% group bonus and also some other bonus for not leaving servers after a game.

If you want lootboxes Arcade is a pretty good way to go. Most people have no clue how to play Total Mayhem. Just lock down Zarya and win!
10/17/2017 06:41 PMPosted by ZeroSymbolic
"Dude you have like a million hours on this game, how do you have a gold portrait and still be in gold?"

I'm going to answer this question for you now.

The correct answer is this:

"I played aimlessly for a thousand+ hours and I didn't improve because I didn't reflect on my own gameplay, but instead I blamed everyone else around me for my own personal shortcomings".
I have the best example that just happened last game.

Dorado defense. I pick Ana and halfway I make a remark saying I don't want to play Ana or a healer but I continue to anyway. Some guy was extemely eager to get off dps I assume because he didn't want to blamed for not being able to deal with a Pharah+Mercy and they had capped two points when I said this. I don't say anything but continue to play Ana because it's the last point.

He gets upset calling me trash, bad at the game, that I should quit, and that I should learn how to play. And of course the specialty "you play so many hours only to be in gold" comment you will see over and over again if you ever make it to a special portrait.

I instalock Ana at the start of the next round (and this guy is in a duo queue) so his friend obviously backs up whatever he is saying.

They come at me with their ingenious plan to say "You have 11% weapons accuracy on Ana--Switch". Of course they want to try to use my stats against me but they don't even know weapons accuracy is not rifle accuracy. It still baffles me that people have tried to insult me by saying "How do you even get 11% weapons accuracy-You must be bad hurr durr hurr"

(For reference Galeadelade--#1 ranked Ana has a 15% weapons accuracy).

So at this point I'm smiling because they are typing this out in the chat (which I get to report as abusive chat), and to my dismay the other duo on our team decides to scapegoat me and the four of them ask me to be "useful" and play Mercy during the start of round one.

I'm their only healer and they are willing to pin all their shortcommings on me. They expect me to heal everyone at once. We make it a little past two points and fail. Both duos blame me for playing Ana, and that one original guy continues to berate me for my gold portrait and rank.

So that's a daily occurrence for a Gold Portrait in a solo ranked queue game. I've become so numb to this behavoir. I know some people might say I should have given in and played Mercy because that is what the four of them wanted, but I would rather stubbornly lose on Ana than appease people that insult me and just want to use me as a heal/rez bot. It's the same thing of apologizing to a group demanding an apology. Once you do so, they are not satisfied and were just happy to be outraged and demanded an apology.

People who berate others in this game don't suddenly garner respect for someone because you do what they ask. I've noticed that. I've had several times in the past of people freaking out even when I switch to a specific hero they wanted and play the best I can.

Also some people might also respond with I should have switched to dps or tank (being that we had only one tank for some reason) when I said I didn't feel like playing Ana anymore. But this guy knew we were failing and he didn't want to take any blame for being an ineffective dps. He was incredibly eager to switch off right as they took the second point. That was suspicious enough for me to decide not to switch off.

In retrospect I doubt it would have mattered. I'm sure I would have been blamed regardless what role I was playing.

P.S. I went up against the second duo group when queuing as I was making this post and I played Ana the entire time on Kings Row. We stomped them after 3 rounds.

At the start of the game they were pretty confident saying that they hoped I went Ana. So I did and we won because the team worked together.
The other day someone referenced their four star account as their smurf, someone questioned it, and I said I have two silver border accounts (and this one). The account I was on was 3802 sr at the time and a teammate says “...please tell me it’s higher sr than this one lmao” as if 3802 sr is a bad rank. That’s top ~2% iirc.

Point being, people will use anything and everything they possibly can if they’re trying to insult you. Even T500 players get mocked for their rank by T100 players.

Borium, a super toxic Zarya main, even mocked IDDQD’s rank in a stream the other day because at the time, Borium’s main was higher on the T500 ladder than IDDQD’s smurf he was on at the time. Even though IDDQD had been #1 in a prior season and currently had multiple accounts above Borium.
I feel you, OP. I'm a gold border that fluctuates between diamond and masters. Even when in masters I get made fun of for playing so much and not being gm. People are stupid, just ignore them.
10/17/2017 06:41 PMPosted by ZeroSymbolic

I've been abused, I've had mass reporting against me that resulted in two silence bans, because I couldn't carry the teams. You read that correctly, teams organized to file abuse reports against me because they blamed me for not carrying the team, and this happened several times.

Wow, I can't believe that. Seriously?? That's appalling; completely unjustified.

I'd like to make a group of us to hit Plat and not have to worry about all this. When I do hit Plat I am quitting.

I'm fine with that. I'll add you and we can comp if you want.
I get that too.
Here is how i deal with toxic people.

Right Click their name,
Click on Prefer This Player.

Make sure you lose the game by playing Ana. You can't be reported for being bad, so just miss hitting your teammates by a bit.

Once they leave the game,
Quit the same time they leave,
And immediately queue for the next game.

There will be a very high chance you will be his teammate again.

Proceed to insta lock Ana.
And mute both TEXT and VOICE chat.

I do that all the time,
During hero select, i'll check to see if any players have been marked by my "prefer this player".

If yes, it is Widow time!!!
so you're publicly admitting to making a "hate list" by using the "prefer this player feature" and when anyone who has done something to end up on that list
you admittiedly switch to "widow" and "throw"

you sir are part of the problem

10/19/2017 01:11 AMPosted by hanzo0nly
I get that too.

Right Click their name,

Make sure you lose the game by playing Ana. You can't be reported for being bad, so just miss hitting your teammates by a bit.

I do that all the time,
During hero select, i'll check to see if any players have been marked by my "prefer this player".

[quote="207576515572"That is the unfortunate truth. I've heard people at higher ranks say that comms between bronze-low plat are pretty much useless.

I've definitely have some moments of planning/coordination with teammates by using chat but so much of it you have to initiate. Like I sped boost a Reaper so he could ult in the middle of their team.

It's probably something that could happen randomly and as you become more aware in game you will notice when people want to do x thing. But rarely at those ranks are people trying to coordinate attacks or make solid plans. It's always just "yo lets go this direction" or saying "lets combo these two predictable ults and nothing will go wrong ever". Or sometimes they will communicate when they will use an ult but give people only 2 seconds to react to the info. You can't just blind emp/grav/shatter and expect it to all go swell when you suddenly notice 5 teammates are dead or waiting to push again.

Another one I've heard is "I have my ult" upon dying.

This is the more severe issue-- people dispense such utterly useless information that really doesn't help and clutters the comms. Sometimes I'm pleasently suprised with the simpliciity of callouts of low health targets and where they are. I see a lot of GM streams where they just callout who they want to focus and say it three times, so I'm not saying that comms are that great in ranked queue in general.[/quote]
It isn't always useless. I've seen great teams in high-gold, where voice comm is awesome. We might have the mechanical skills of a monkey, but we do understand that coordination works.

Of course, that's once in a blue moon. Half the time I just use the teamspeak to yell at my team for letting the Tracer get my Ana for the 15th time in the last 5 minutes

We won because the team worked together.

If more of the community would realize this, that'd be great.
10/19/2017 01:11 AMPosted by hanzo0nly
I get that too.

Right Click their name,

I do that all the time,

Reported for advertising throwing and openly admitting doing it yourself
ignore anyone who makes fun of a gold portrait at this point.

the game has been out for over a year, and hitting a gold portrait could be done by a casual at this point, as many casual can even dedicate 2.5 hours a day to overwatch, which would give them a gold border.

it's seriously nothing to worry about

if people expect you to carry them just tell them "bro i'm gold border and i'm still in gold, i suck at this game how am i gonna carry you, you should carry me"

also to address a few things:

"It was impossible to rank up as a tank/support/fill.": that's just a blatant lie. with the exception of a few characters that will rank up slower (they will still rank up), it's very easy to rank up as a tank and support. until you hit ~3900 skill level, you, your team, and their team will have tanks and supports impacting the game more than DPS will.

that said, it's possible that you personally are just better at dps classes, which is why you probably saw your rank increase as you stopped filling

it is a little strange that you're gold border and still in gold, but it's not that rare of an occurrence, and i'd go as far to say that gold borders in platinum are "normal"... you just don't see them quite as often in ranked because most of them only play quick play

"TL;DR: I'm stuck in gold because my teammates assume I can carry them, and they play garbage heroes, and won't strategize together. ": this is a common thought process by low rank players, and i'll quickly debunk it and prove that YOU are what's holding you back from reaching platinum. quick note though, i'm not saying this like it's a bad thing, i'm trying to help you understand that if you want to rank up, you have to improve at the game or it won't happen.

anyways, the proof: if literally everyone except for you in the game threw as hard as possible, that being they stand in spawn and do nothing, you would have a 100% winrate and be rank 1 5000SR. you WANT people at your rank to play bad, because that makes it easier for you to rank up. I can understand why it's frustrating, but mathematically, players at your rank not trying very hard all the time, HELPS your rank. honestly speaking, it artificially inflates your skill level compared to other players skill levels who don't try as hard (if they were trying). this is why you almost never see people in top 500 leaving the game or throwing, and why the amount of throwers/leavers/trolls/whatever decreases as rank increases. if 1% of people leave, and you never do, your SR "artificially" increases
Insults doesn't need to has reason.
But I agree, level borders no use at all. Better show us current SR, average SR, and borders as representation of selected hero skill: winrate, number of matches, etc. But we can't even get stats of current match...
I have to admit that this is happening in more games and more often lately. I think will not die down until there are enough people with Silver/Gold portraits in the same rank you are at.

People keep trying to use the idea I'm a gold portrait in gold as an insult. Especially if we are losing. They go straight to this predictable comment. Doesn't matter if it'sa an enemy trying to trash talk or a teammate I hear this almost every game.

What I find most insulting about it is how they think it will get to me. I've heard it like 200-300 times now if not more if you include having a high silver border too.

I'm sure if the people who told this to me were to solo queue endlessly, and reach my portrait they would still be the same rank too. I fully understand that how I play this game doesn't translate to me getting truly better.

I still have to abide by my excuses though. I finally was able to order a new gaming mouse and a gaming headset with 7.1 surround sound. (Dolby Atmos™ here I come). And couldn't pass up getting a QcK heavy mousepad since I use low sens. So my peripherals are looking better than before. The only thing that really would be in my way of consisntency is getting 20-45+ frames per second during a game. And being forced to use 50% render scale instead of 75%.

Every game of solo queue though I already go in expecting someone to be toxic. There really is no hope for this game in that regard.
Very soon, I'll be joining you. Main account less than 20 levels away from gold border and stuck in gold xD
I get that a lot, just having Silver portrait and some stars.

"Silver back in gold, hahahaha, you suck"

I say, see where you're at when you reach 600 since you're already half way there, Mr. 300 for some reason acting like a Silver Portrait means pro-level player.

Also, how am i gonna rank up when i have YOU on my team?

And this seems like a new thing people are suddenly saying. Like it was posted on the internet somewhere and now all the 14 year olds are parrotting it.

OW is a year and a half old. Been all kinds of events. I put decent time in to plenty of heroes in quick play. Mystery heroes for arcade lootboxes. And lots of ranked, sure but still. Just weird.
I have the same problem Im sick about it and most of the time the ones making fun of me are smurfs with low level accounts.
Borders should be cosmetic choices tbh.