Matchmaking punishes success (Solo queue)

Competitive Discussion
If you manage to put a streak of wins together the matchmaking goes out of it's way to ensure you get put with worse players, or the enemy team has an unfair advantage, hardly ever do you get an evenly matched game after multiple wins.

I had just won 3 matches in a row then i'm placed in a match with my team consisting of 6 solo players against 2 groups of 3 for the enemy team. They also had a higher SR rating of about 50sr. How is that 'fair' matchmaking? They steamrolled 3-0 and we couldn't make it past the first choke point on Dorado.

I'm tired of the blatant manipulation by the system to stop me from progressing. Why wasn't one group of 3 placed on my team? This matchmaking is the worst i've ever come across.
You are making yourself look like an idiot. If you get a streak of wins togeather the matchmaking does its job and puts you in a match with higher ranked people to see if you can hang.

The system is not manipulated to stop you from doing anything. You are not improving and you are frustrated. But you don't learn by blaming and making excuses.

I know your mad and the last thing you want to hear is "git gut", but like...really its not the matchmaking fault. The teams are usually balanced very well SR wise, and the implementation of individual performance affecting losses and gains was actually done pretty well given how many variables are involved.
10/18/2017 09:48 PMPosted by Spacer
You are making yourself look like an idiot. If you get a streak of wins togeather the matchmaking does its job and puts you in a match with higher ranked people to see if you can hang.

The system is not manipulated to stop you from doing anything. You are not improving and you are frustrated. But you don't learn by blaming and making excuses.

I know your mad and the last thing you want to hear is "git gut", but like...really its not the matchmaking fault. The teams are usually balanced very well SR wise, and the implementation of individual performance affecting losses and gains was actually done pretty well given how many variables are involved.

Hardly, ahh yes the usual 'git gud' response. I've hit master rank multiple times over the past 3 seasons i am already good and i can 'hang' with master level players. I'm frustrated because i've had enough of blatantly unfair games. The matchmaking holds you back and my example there is clearly evident.

No the teams weren't even because we may have similar SR but a group is more coordinated and having 2 groups of 3 against 6 solo players is only ever going to end the way it did at that level.

Why not have one group of 3 on my side and the other group on the enemy team? that would be the logical and fair way but this system is an enigma.
Things change. The meta changes, players change, you change.... it’s impossible to say why you dropped, if you don’t think it’s you then there’s plenty of other reasons. I don’t think the matchmaking is rigged personally.
What it does is take each player's chance of winning the next match based on their performance in their last couple of matches and calculates it as a percentage. If you're on a win strap, your chance of winning will be high, so your percentage will be high. The game has to balance each match as close to both teams having a 50/50 chance of winning. How it fired this is match you with players whose chances of winning are much lower than yours; low enough to bring the entire team's chance of winning to an average of 50% overall. That's why it seems like the game will punish you for doing well by giving you the most useless randoms ever as teammates because it does in order to balance out both teams to a 50/50 percent chance for victory. If you're an exceptional player, you're going to be matched up with even worse teammates.
"i won a lot of games, was clearly my own 1337 skills but when i lose its the matchmaker1111"

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?
Lol, I love this dumb statement.

No, the matchmaker doesn't purposefully pit "worse" players with you. How in the world would it even know who a bad player is? It's solely based off rank and who's queuing at the same time you are, how in the world will the system be able to know that any particular person is bad if they're the same rank as you? And anyways, what purpose would this serve? Quite literally no one, on any side gains literally anything from it, least of all Blizzard.

Now I do agree that in mixed games, groups should be split equally between teams if possible, but you also have to take in the average group SR into account. Usually 6 solos vs a mixed group is because the sum of the group's SR is equal to the average of the 6 solo players.

No, what's happening is you're simply hitting a skill wall where the enemies start becoming better than you. It happened to me once I hit 4150ish, I can no longer climb (as easily, anyways) because my opponents are just simply better than me. Of course, once you get into mid-masters you're in a position where you're a part of a TINY portion of the community, so it's much harder to achieve balanced games. I regularly see Top500's that are 300+ SR higher than me in my games, but this is simply because there's maybe a few thousand players at best in my rank range to choose from in my region, and not all or even nearly all of them will be queuing when I am.

Also, we can see your rank history on overbuff. According to overbuff, you never passed the 3400 mark this entire season. This doesn't qualify you as being a masters-level player.
10/19/2017 03:43 AMPosted by Tankz
"i won a lot of games, was clearly my own 1337 skills but when i lose its the matchmaker1111"

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

Completely missed the point. I'm not complaining that i lose matches, i'm complaining that every time you win a few games the matchmaker places you with sub par teammates and gives you disadvantages like getting matched against 2 groups of 3 in solo queue. Groups will always have the advantage here because of a number of factors including voice comms and familiarity with their play.

What should happen is the number of groups should be equal on each team and you should get paired with better players the higher you go. Instead you are expected to carry 5 people which you cannot do against competent teams.
10/18/2017 09:43 PMPosted by IxREQUIEMx
If you manage to put a streak of wins together the matchmaking goes out of it's way to ensure you get put with worse players, or the enemy team has an unfair advantage, hardly ever do you get an evenly matched game after multiple wins.

I had just won 3 matches in a row then i'm placed in a match with my team consisting of 6 solo players against 2 groups of 3 for the enemy team. They also had a higher SR rating of about 50sr. How is that 'fair' matchmaking? They steamrolled 3-0 and we couldn't make it past the first choke point on Dorado.

I'm tired of the blatant manipulation by the system to stop me from progressing. Why wasn't one group of 3 placed on my team? This matchmaking is the worst i've ever come across.

You are totally correct, and you are not alone:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759237722
10/19/2017 07:44 AMPosted by Cuthbert
10/18/2017 09:43 PMPosted by IxREQUIEMx

You are totally correct, and you are not alone:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759237722

And you are completely wrong.
See

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759379305

and

03/02/2017 07:35 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
We're always trying to put you in fair matches that we think you have a 50% chance to win, and do it quickly so you're playing Overwatch instead of staring at a queue timer. We never intentionally seek to put you in an unfair one.

I've seen comments like "I just won three games in a row, so the matchmaker put me in a bad stomp to get back to a 50% win rate". It doesn't do anything like that at all. It just keeps on trying to find fair matches. If you do win more than you lose, your SR will slowly go up. As that happens it'll also put you up stronger opponents that match your new SR. That's not so you lose, it's to keep your matches fair.

There's one other thing to remember, though. The results of a match that the matchmaker thought was perfectly fair don't always result in a match that is hard fought every meter of the payload and you win by just holding them off from reaching the final checkpoint at 0:00 time remaining. Matches with teams of equal skill result in 3-0 stomps more than you think. Maybe an early fight snowballed out of control due to staggered spawns, maybe a player decided he was going to try to pickup a new hero that match, or perhaps your's cat decided to play with your keyboard right before you used that Graviton Surge and it wildly missed its mark. We're all human, and we don't perform at the perfectly same level all the time. It's one of the reasons competitive games are so much fun to play and watch.
10/19/2017 03:56 AMPosted by Sensanaty
Lol, I love this dumb statement.

No, the matchmaker doesn't purposefully pit "worse" players with you. How in the world would it even know who a bad player is? It's solely based off rank and who's queuing at the same time you are, how in the world will the system be able to know that any particular person is bad if they're the same rank as you? And anyways, what purpose would this serve? Quite literally no one, on any side gains literally anything from it, least of all Blizzard.

Bad teammates are easy to spot, they always have bad positioning, not picking a hero that fits with the team comp, won't switch if it isn't working, instead of grouping up they go in one by one, don't combo ultimates etc. The matchmaking is terrible it doesn't serve the players that's for sure.

Now I do agree that in mixed games, groups should be split equally between teams if possible, but you also have to take in the average group SR into account. Usually 6 solos vs a mixed group is because the sum of the group's SR is equal to the average of the 6 solo players.

Well that didn't happen so evidently it wasn't a fair match, you can spout about what the matchmaker does taking SR into account but 6 solo players should never be placed in a game against 2 groups who were both fully coordinated.

No, what's happening is you're simply hitting a skill wall where the enemies start becoming better than you.

No, that's not happening. I'm low diamond at the minute and last season i was 3697 so mid master, I had no problem at that level and i have no problem at this level. I haven't changed my playstyle and maintain positive win rates with all my mains except Sombra and the only thing i'm seeing that's letting me down is the teams i'm getting put into.

Also, we can see your rank history on overbuff. According to overbuff, you never passed the 3400 mark this entire season. This doesn't qualify you as being a masters-level player.

Okay, well considering my season high for this season is 3415 i'd say your overbuff statistics are wrong. Last season i hit 3697, master rank, i was in masters the majority of last season, no change in playstyle and my win rates and K/D ratio are all similar to last season. The main difference are the players i'm being matched with. I have 9.5 elims per life with D.va and a 60% win rate and i'm not a master level player? I am but i don't get fair games.
Here I'll quote the smartest comment I've seen on this topic.

10/18/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Aloris
"Forced 50-50".

Flip a coin 100 times.

Bet you get a streak one way or the other.

/gasp

Guess what else?

Nothing forced any of the flips to come out a particular way.
I won like 20 something games in a row after placements and then I lost, this game is so crap. I was forced to lose by blizzard. This is 100% proof the game is rigged because I lost and didn't win! Fix the game blizzard and you owe me a new pc because mine broke when it drowned in my tears! Boo hoo boo hoo.
10/19/2017 08:04 AMPosted by Cheese
Here I'll quote the smartest comment I've seen on this topic.

10/18/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Aloris
"Forced 50-50".

Flip a coin 100 times.

Bet you get a streak one way or the other.

/gasp

Guess what else?

Nothing forced any of the flips to come out a particular way.

Because a coin flip is relative to the overwatch matchmaking.
10/19/2017 08:08 AMPosted by Parody
I won like 20 something games in a row after placements and then I lost, this game is so crap. I was forced to lose by blizzard. This is 100% proof the game is rigged because I lost and didn't win! Fix the game blizzard and you owe me a new pc because mine broke when it drowned in my tears! Boo hoo boo hoo.

I thought parody was supposed to be funny?
Parodys nuts.
10/18/2017 09:48 PMPosted by Spacer

Nope. It is what YOUR team is doing that is the problem. He enemy just take advantage of the easy win against them.