Lets fix Symmetra, as an Overwatch family

General Discussion
She's picked 0% of the time on the pro scene. On top of that, players get criticized for merely choosing her on the hero selection screen. There's no way a hero with this much hate is balanced. So lets fix her. In a post, type one thing you hate about Symmetra and how to fix it. Also, lets assume that she's balanced. So if your idea is a buff, give a nerf to compensate. If your idea is a nerf, think of a buff to compensate for that nerf. Again, we're here to balance Symmetra. And please, keep downvotes to a minimum.
Symmetra does not need any nerfs, if you do that, she becomes even more vulnerable than she already is and might even send her back to her pre rework state.
I don't think most of the playerbase cares about her, including me. She's fine, I guess.
Her kit is lacking, her weapon is why she is hated, but it's balanced. Don't go near her and your fine.

Her kit is just severely punishing in general, and very risky. Like her teleporter actually punishes her for using it well. I'd start with making her being able to recharge her Teleporter somehow.

I'm honestly sick of Symmetra being overlooked by everyone nowadays, she's literally considered a meme and it's not fair.
Honestly, while I like her barrier that came with the rework, she should have gotten a movement speed enhancer in her rework.

Lucio is the only support that has one right now and he stole his weapon from Vishkar it would have made complete sense for Symmetra to be able to make a movement speed wall that she could set down (for like 5 seconds) that would make all allies move faster through it.

Hell, her being able to set down a wall that slows movement speed might have been a good idea too.

I do think we will need to see changes to her weapon if we ever want her to be viable without being frustrating to play against though. Maybe making her require more aim but still keeping the lock on feature to a certain extent (so making it less lenient).
I remember someone making a thread that provides really good points on how to improve Sym

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759249296?page=1

All in all, for me, Id like see more QoL buffs on her. Like making her teammates able to see the shield gen or teleporter so they can protect it and an aura like Lucios showing the radius of how far shield gen can extend.
She needs a refund mechanic, just like with her TP/SG when a point is capped, but as a passive, holding the key used to cast any of her constructions for a certain period of time destroys it giving maybe 50% of the respective charge/CD back. So for example, you have 1 use left on the TP, you refund it and get 1/12 of ult charge back. If you misplaced a turret or want to add 1 after you already have 6 but don't want the first one you placed to be deleted automatically you can hold shift on the desired turret and it will go away, taking 5 seconds off the CD for the next turret to be placed. Don't know how or if it would work with her Photon Barrier, though.

As for nerfs, I don't think compensation is needed for this buff. And to be honest, Symm doesn't need nerfs right now.
I do t think any nerfs are needed to compensate for a sym buff.
I think if we added a new part to her kit that allows her to support better we would be in a great spot
Ability to destruct her own tele or shield gen with an area of effect damage (like the pulse bomb ). Then may be give a very short delay and audio cue before explosion to make the that pesky sombra or tracer to hit their "get out of jail free button".
I think she needs to be more supporty. A support hero doing 120 DPS with an aimbot weapon is just unfun to play against, even if she wasn't support that's just an insane amount of damage for something that locks on to players. Shields should be her main thing as they are right now, but they need to be available more often, I don't really know how to do that. She had something like that pre-rework but it was kind of useless and very tedious, shield Gen would be hard to balance as a normal ability but that might actually be what needs to happen.
The slowness of Turret placement, I want allies to see where tp or shield gen is, last thing I want is people to see where I place the turrets so when a enemy walks through them; say I put them in a spot where flankers r most likely to go someone can see the little signal that someone has walked through there
Personally my issie woth symmetra is that average to bad players panic whenever they see a symmetra. For me I have terrible aim, and I find it impossible to hit a symmetra because of the extra stress of her beam, as it ramps up damage the longer its chained to you. Personally I dont even like playing as her, same thing with most aimbot heroes like Mercy, Winston, etc. I really would jist like the devs to get rid of her beam, I understand some players just cant aim, but where are they going to start if they just pick heroes like Symm, Mercy, Or Winston?
How about adding the ability to build healing turrets for your allies. This way you can use her as a proper support hero and a great defense hero at the same time. If she had the ability to heal her team I feel like her pick rate would go up a lot. Another quality of life change I would like is the option to deconstruct a turret. If you placed it in a bad position it could give you back the turret without waiting for the cool down.
Don't care too much about the pro scene.

I love having decent Symmetra's on my team, the webcams melts flankers and make tanks turn around. Teleport, even if it's very vulnerable, is really good.

However, I don't like facing good Symmetra's, with her small hit box that means if I miss one shot she's going to melt me in the next 3 seconds and it has a delay before it breaks off from you (if im not mistaken).

I'd actually say she is balanced but she is a very niche pick and if they wan't to have a higher pick rate they shouldn't give her any kind of damage buffs but instead look into the support aspect of her kit.
QOL Changes
  • Shield Generator and Teleporter visbile through walls for Symmetra and allies.
  • Slow removed completely when setting a turret/ult either completely or by %.
  • Shield is deployed right in front of Symmetra OR travels at a slower pace
  • Possible Bigger/Experimental Changes

Symmetra's turrets now heal allies (unlikely)
  • Photon Orbs (M2) travels faster.
  • Be able to refund Shield Generator/Teleporter, Recharge teleporter.
  • Be able to completely demolish the Teleporter and reduce ult to either 0-50 depending on the amount of charges.
  • (To balance this, the teleporter can't be refunded while it's being attacked, and must have not been damaged for 4 seconds.)
    10/21/2017 12:05 PMPosted by Kito
    QOL Changes
  • Shield Generator and Teleporter visbile through walls for Symmetra and allies.
  • Slow removed completely when setting a turret/ult either completely or by %.
  • Shield is deployed right in front of Symmetra OR travels at a slower pace
  • Possible Bigger/Experimental Changes

Symmetra's turrets now heal allies (unlikely)
  • Photon Orbs (M2) travels faster.
  • Be able to refund Shield Generator/Teleporter, Recharge teleporter.
  • Be able to completely demolish the Teleporter and reduce ult to either 0-50 depending on the amount of charges.
  • (To balance this, the teleporter can't be refunded while it's being attacked, and must have not been damaged for 4 seconds.)
    i like everyrhing except the healing turrets. Just cuz i dont want her to be a healer
    10/21/2017 12:14 PMPosted by DrFate
    i like everyrhing except the healing turrets. Just cuz i dont want her to be a healer

I agree, but I included it because it seems to be one of the first things to come up in a topic regarding Symmetra being changed.
    10/21/2017 11:56 AMPosted by PepeTheLucio
    How about adding the ability to build healing turrets for your allies. This way you can use her as a proper support hero and a great defense hero at the same time. If she had the ability to heal her team I feel like her pick rate would go up a lot. Another quality of life change I would like is the option to deconstruct a turret. If you placed it in a bad position it could give you back the turret without waiting for the cool down.
    i really dint like the idea of sym being a healer
    Symmetra is probably the least coherent hero in all of Overwatch. Her primary fire, main ability, and ultimates do not synergize at all. Right now she's a jack of several janky trades; I'd like her to be a jack of several legitimate trades; I'd like to make her a hero befitting of her in-universe ingenuity. A lot of this will seem overblown, and that's because parts of my vision here aren't necessarily mutually compatible. Anyways, here are all of my ideas for Symmetra:

---
    -Symmetra can build up to four turrets
    -Symmetra can choose between Life Turrets and Movement Turrets
    -Life Turrets heal allies and damage opponents
    -Movement Turrets speed-up allies and slow opponents
    -A target hit by duplicates of the same type of turret receives a decreasing multiple of its effect (e.g. x1.75 for two, x2.25 for three, x2.5 for four)
    -Allies are turrets' default preferred targets
    -Because of their increased importance, turrets continue to function for ~1 second after their health is depleted to zero

-Symmetra's primary fire is a short-ranged "magnifier" that resembles the animation of her current primary fire
    -It multiplies the effects of her turrets
    -I.e. it's targets get boosted health/damage from Life Turrets and boosted speed/slow from Movement Turrets
    -For basic utility, the magnifier does some damage, but less than her current primary fire

-Symmetra's primary fire can be used from afar to assign targets for her turrets
    -A straight, laser-pointer-like line that extends through her wavy beam depicts this capacity
    -Symmetra can trace a line from one of her turrets to a target, which would override any auto-target
    -Turrets can initiate their effect on manually assigned targets from a distance further than they'd by able to reach when otherwise activating automatically
    -Double-clicking on a player in this way causes all turrets within their range to focus them
    -Symmetra can target herself either by dragging a line from a turret to her feet (single turret) or double-clicking at her feet (all turrets within range)

-Symmetra's right-click now creates an explosion that launches enemies around its center
    -It's detonated by pressing right-click a second time
    -Orbs that touch the ground persist for a couple of seconds
    -Think of this as a cross between Orisa's right-click and Pharah's E ability
    -The purpose of this ability is to launch enemies into Symmetra's turrets' range
    -Allies can press jump on a grounded orb to consume it for a vertical boost
    -The orb does less damage against foes it passes through, but it also heals allies it passes through

-Symmetra's E ability is now her teleporter
    -Symmetra can build a teleporter every 30 seconds
    -Symmetra's teleporter can be used ~3 times before it goes on cool-down for 30 seconds

-Additionally, Symmetra can build a second, red-coloured teleporter
    -Walking through the spawn teleporter sends a player to teleporter A, walking through teleporter A sends a player to teleporter B, walking through teleporter B sends a player to teleporter A
    -Teleporter B can be used by allies and enemies alike
    -If teleporter A is destroyed, so is teleporter B
    -Teleporter B can be used ~3 times before it's destroyed

-Symmetra no longer has her shield generator
    -Symmetra's ultimate is Super-Magnifier
    -Her ultimate lasts ~10 seconds
    -Symmetra's turrets gain immense health during this ultimate, like Torbjorn's does and their range increases
    -Targets she magnifies in this way experience extreme effects from her turrets
    -Life Turrets provide shields for allies and discord de-buffs for foes
    -Movement Turrets give allies a great speed buff that extends outside the turrets' range, while they totally freeze enemies and cause them to levitate
    ---
    Like I said earlier, I know this seems overblown. I would never expect one Overwatch hero to be this mechanically complex. This list just encompasses all the little ideas I've written down about reworking Symmetra since Overwatch came out. If Symmetra ever becomes even half as complex as this, I'd be surprised. Nevertheless, I truly think a more cerebral, supportive playstyle suits her character more than the ironically brain-dead hero we have today.

If I have the time, I'll compile a list of Mei changes I've thought up. The gist of those changes is to replace Ice Wall with Ice Blocks she can push to pin enemies.
    Idea: Every time Symmetra gains her ult after her tele is up, it adds a charge to it