Bannable Voice Lines.

General Discussion
I have made the habit of pressing the voice line button every 10 seconds, and I don't even realize I do it anymore, so yeah....
10/29/2017 11:45 AMPosted by GoodEvening
10/29/2017 11:42 AMPosted by SteamPunk
Since you didn't read my original post I'm going to quote it here again. Read it before you reply, thank you.

I did read your original post actually, I'm just saying how it can be taken from person to person, not everyone has the same views on whether or not a voice line being said 1 or 2 times can be considered annoying. No need to get angry.

I'll leave it at that though, context matters and whatever.

Spamming a voiceline is not subjective. You're either spamming or you're not. I had a game with a D.Va and McCree who spammed "HEPPY HALLOWEEN" and "It's your funeral" the ENTIRE GAME.
*SPAMMED*
as in HEPPY HALLOWEEN. HEPPY HALLOWEEN. HEPPY HALLOWEEN. HEPPY HALLOWEEN. *short pause* HEPPY HALLOWEEN HEPPY HALLOWEEN HEPPY HALLOWEEN HEPPY HALLOWEEN *short pause* *repeat*
For the entire game. Three KOTH rounds of this crap.
Both teams complained and reported them, at which point they started throwing.
I'll say it again so you can really get it this time: Saying a voiceline 1-4 times is not spamming, or actionable. Spamming the voiceline the entire game is.
It's not reportable for using the voice line to meme on them a bit. The problem is when people spend the entire match spamming a voice line, since you can't mute the emotes.
10/29/2017 11:50 AMPosted by SteamPunk
10/29/2017 11:45 AMPosted by GoodEvening

I did read your original post actually, I'm just saying how it can be taken from person to person, not everyone has the same views on whether or not a voice line being said 1 or 2 times can be considered annoying. No need to get angry.

I'll leave it at that though, context matters and whatever.

Spamming a voiceline is not subjective. You're either spamming or you're not. I had a game with a D.Va and McCree who spammed "HEPPY HALLOWEEN" and "It's your funeral" the ENTIRE GAME.
*SPAMMED*
as in HEPPY HALLOWEEN. HEPPY HALLOWEEN. HEPPY HALLOWEEN. HEPPY HALLOWEEN. *short pause* HEPPY HALLOWEEN HEPPY HALLOWEEN HEPPY HALLOWEEN HEPPY HALLOWEEN *short pause* *repeat*
I'll say it again so you can really get it this time: Saying a voiceline 1-4 times is not spamming, or actionable. Spamming the voiceline the entire game is.

Yeah, but not everyone cares about whether or not it's spammed/or finds it annoying. As we're all saying, it's subjective from person to person. You don't speak for everyone since plenty of us don't find it bothersome.
10/29/2017 11:53 AMPosted by GoodEvening
*SPAMMED*

Yeah, but not everyone cares about whether or not it's spammed/or finds it annoying. As we're all saying, it's subjective from person to person. You don't speak for everyone since plenty of us don't find it bothersome.

And some people don't care about throwers, griefers, and hackers. Does that mean those people shouldn't be actioned?
10/29/2017 11:55 AMPosted by SteamPunk
<span class="truncated">...</span>

And some people don't care about throwers, griefers, and hackers. Does that mean those people shouldn't be actioned?

I didn't know hacking/throwing/griefing was even remotely relateable to voice lines, the more you know. But hey, you have your opinion on voice lines, I have mine, lets just agree to disagree eh?
Cosmetic voice lines do not clog up the communication field on the side of the screen. Someone saying "I give it a ten!" isn't going to take away from any in game features. It isn't going to have a negative effect on your game any more than any other loud sound effect would.

Spamming "I need healing! I need healing! Thanks! Thanks! I need healing! I need healing! Thanks! Thanks! I need healing! I need healing! Thanks! Thanks!" on the other hand, distracts from people who actually need healing and replaces helpful things like teammates informing others of their ultimate status.

People not playing the way you want them to play =/= trolling/throwing/spamming/etc.

I didn't know hacking/throwing/griefing was even remotely relateable to voice lines, the more you know. But hey, you have your opinion on voice lines, I have mine, lets just agree to disagree eh?

No let's talk about this.

You think that because some people don't care about having to hear their teammates spam the same voiceline over and over for the entire game, that those people shouldn't be silenced.

ince some people don't care about having trolls on their team ("it's just QP!") does that mean throwers shouldn't be banned?

I didn't know hacking/throwing/griefing was even remotely relateable to voice lines

It's not. At all. At. All. I'm thinking this dude is just starting a fight for the sake of it, because to equate the two is just... Utterly absurd, to put it nicely.
Mada mada! Mada mada! Mada mada!
The only people who will get silenced is those who use them to the point of being annoying. If you spam the voiceline over and over and over and over, and then get silenced, well that's on you.

It's like the Genji that overextends, dies, then spams I NEED HEALING 327x in a row.
10/29/2017 11:53 AMPosted by GoodEvening
*SPAMMED*

Maybe everyone doesn't care, but it's spamming, and reportable. It's annoying to many, and I would report someone who spammed that crap all game long.
Q) Is using voicelines bannable?

A) No. If you are not deliberately spamming the voicelines to annoy people, there are no penalties.

Q) But everyone is saying you can get banned!?

A) 1 guy posted a tale of woe about how he got muted and suspended after he came back from previous unfair suspensions even though he wasn't even using his mic at all.

A Blizzard employee in charge of player suspensions responded to the thread, and said (in paraphrase):

"Everyone who plays with you reports you from trolling, throwing games, sabotaging teams and spamming voicelines, unless you are on mic, in which case they report you for mic abuse. All the reports, from people with no connection to each other, say the same things. Specifically, they say you are a jerk."

The internet, being the temple of rationality and reasoned discourse that it is, immediately started screaming "OMG I WILL GET BANHAMMER IF I PRESS G ONE TIME OMGWTFBBQISTASTY".

This is... less than accurate.
I spammed "How embarrassing" on Winston as I killed the enemy team and my allies all upvoted my card at the end of the game.
10/29/2017 11:30 AMPosted by DoMeGuyFieri
10/29/2017 11:24 AMPosted by Noxifer
The devs are out of touch.

The voice lines are things you can actually buy with in-game currency. You should be able to spam them all you want.

Instead of calling it "harassment", they should just implement a filter, so you can disable things like meaningless voice lines, lore speech and so on, and you can just hear "need healing", "group up" and ultimate announcements.

Easy.

What does turning the "In-Game Voice Volume" under the "Master Volume" section of Sound Options do? I am not on now so I can't check but this might quiet voicelines?

It mutes everything, including ultimate announcements. It's not a filter.
10/29/2017 12:19 PMPosted by Darkstar
The only people who will get silenced is those who use them to the point of being annoying. If you spam the voiceline over and over and over and over, and then get silenced, well that's on you.

It's like the Genji that overextends, dies, then spams I NEED HEALING 327x in a row.
Telling from what you said, I don't think you actually read the whole original post, which isn't even that long. Or you just didn't understand it one bit.

I'll re-iterate. Just because someone is spamming a voice line, it doesn't mean they're trying to be annoying. How can you tell? Unless they're also saying things in the general chat you're just making assumptions.
So I use the voice lines "Ameizing" and "I was only trying to help" a lot when playing Mei. However I only use them because they sound funny to me, Yet because of the recent happenings on the forum I have had people falsely reporting me.

This is the problem. Whether or not a voice line is being used in an abusive manor is completely subjective, unless you can see the POV of the player who is using the voice lines. Even then, it comes down to how you interpret their use of the voice lines.

Something me and my friends often do is we use our ultimate voice line followed by a cosmetic voice line, so it ends up something like "My ultimate is Ameizing!", or "I'm ready to start an Okay!". We are not doing it to BM whatsoever, we are just doing it because it sounds funny.

I really don't get how people can be so immature to a point where hearing some voice lines tilts them, enough so that they whine on the forums until blizz gives in.

Feel free to downvote, just know that your reasoning for doing so is completely lackluster, very generalised and unfair to the vast majority of the player base.

The only thing that "tilts" me about voice lines is when a person spams the same one over and over and over and over and over and over. I've had games where one would spend the whole of that hero's life just spamming one voice line (oddly, when they die and get swapped to a different hero [I play ?H] they don't continue). It gets old super fast. I have not reported someone, but it has gotten under my skin.
10/29/2017 05:46 AMPosted by Avensol
So I use the voice lines "Ameizing" and "I was only trying to help" a lot when playing Mei. However I only use them because they sound funny to me, yet because of the recent happenings on the forums I have had many people falsely reporting me.

This is the problem:
Whether or not a voice line is being used in an abusive manor or to deliberately be annoying is completely subjective, unless you can see the POV of the player who is using the voice lines. Even then, it comes down to how you interpret their use of the voice lines.

Something me and my friends often do is we use our ultimate voice line followed by a cosmetic voice line, so it ends up something like "My ultimate is Ameizing!", or "I'm ready to start an Okay!". We are not doing it to BM whatsoever, we are just doing it because it sounds funny.

I really don't get how people can be so immature to a point where hearing some voice lines tilts them, enough so that they whine on the forums until blizz gives in.

Feel free to downvote, just know that your reasoning for doing so is completely lackluster, very generalised and unfair to the vast majority of the player base.

Maybe dont spam voicelines then? I mean is it really necessary to even do it in the first place? If you like hearing the voice line, record a clip, upload to youtube, right click video, click loop and there you go. Why is there a need to make sure others hear it? It sounds like you are attempting to troll them doesnt it?

I won't lie spamming voice lines is flat out annoying. I had a Dva constantly run in kill one person while spamming 'im not scared' 'im not scared' 'im not scared' its f'ing annoying and my god do I wish I can mute it.

The only thing I can agree on it is in fact subjective if its an offense or not. Honestly, I don't think it should be a bannable or silencable offense sine the Devs literally set them selves up for this kind of thing in the first place. They simply need to make a damn option to remove voicelines (and it goes without saying that it shouldnt silence NORMAL voicelines just ones you set to in gallery)
10/29/2017 01:30 PMPosted by Jackal
10/29/2017 05:46 AMPosted by Avensol
So I use the voice lines "Ameizing" and "I was only trying to help" a lot when playing Mei. However I only use them because they sound funny to me, yet because of the recent happenings on the forums I have had many people falsely reporting me.

This is the problem:
Whether or not a voice line is being used in an abusive manor or to deliberately be annoying is completely subjective, unless you can see the POV of the player who is using the voice lines. Even then, it comes down to how you interpret their use of the voice lines.

Maybe dont spam voicelines then? I mean is it really necessary to even do it in the first place? If you like hearing the voice line, record a clip, upload to youtube, right click video, click loop and there you go. Why is there a need to make sure others hear it? It sounds like you are attempting to troll them doesnt it?

I won't lie spamming voice lines is flat out annoying. I had a Dva constantly run in kill one person while spamming 'im not scared' 'im not scared' 'im not scared' its f'ing annoying and my god do I wish I can mute it.

The only thing I can agree on it is in fact subjective if its an offense or not. Honestly, I don't think it should be a bannable or silencable offense sine the Devs literally set them selves up for this kind of thing in the first place. They simply need to make a damn option to remove voicelines (and it goes without saying that it shouldnt silence NORMAL voicelines just ones you set to in gallery)
I shouldn't have to forego using them because of the complaints of a few. That is all.