Sexual Harassment in Overwatch

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
One thing I hate is that when females come to the forum to discuss sexual harassment and the entire thread gets deleted instead of the moderators taking the time to delete or edit individual posts that are misogynistic or non-constructive. It silences and punishes the victims of sexual harassment, which is wrong. It also sets an ugly precedent: if you can get enough guys to pile on, you can get the thread deleted and the OP silenced. This issue is far too important to be handled this way.

Reposting my comment here:

WAYS TO STOP SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN OVERWATCH:

1. How many of you took the time to report posts in the latest, now-deleted thread that were sexist, misogynistic, sexually harassing, blamed the victim, non-constructive, etc? Did you or did you sit silent? If the latter, you're a part of the problem.

2. Stop suggesting females mute chat or mute themselves. The first does not stop sexual harassment and the second seeks to make females invisible. And fertheluvofpete, quit suggesting the use of voice changers. This is our game, too.

3. Stop blaming the victim who is not responsible or accountable for the actions of those who harass her.

4. Stop suggesting that those who report sexual harassment are seeking attention. It takes courage to post about sexual harassment on these forums, since the reaction to such posts is overwhelmingly negative and misogynistic. Anita's Irony is almost immediately invoked and given the lack of moderation, it allows the OP to be victimized again...just for reporting.

5. Open your mind to the fact that sexual harassment is NOT equal to trolling, smack-talking, teasing, insults, etc. In the real world, it is often behavior subject to criminal and/or civil action. Consider also that ALL females deal with this from birth in their real lives: on the streets, in their workplaces, in their families, in schools, in public places, in society and within relationships. This is not true for most males. We just want to play a video game and not be subjected to more of the same.

6. Men are also sexually harassed in OW, but it is far, far less common to hear a male player threatened with a non-consensual sex act or aggressively subjected to unwanted sexual advances, than it is a female.

7. Stop with the "I've never seen this" garbage. Just because you haven't noticed it doesn't mean it never happens. In fact, you might want to consider if you have been socialized to NOT recognize sexual harassment.

8. When you see or hear sexual harassment, do you speak up? Harassers RELY on your silence in order to do what they do. In my decades of dealing with sexual harassment in gaming, livestreaming and real life, I've found that most of the time, if even ONE male speaks up, it silences the harasser. "Hey, man, that's not cool." "Knock it off, buddy." It doesn't need to be confrontational, just a calm reminder that you are male and you do not approve. If you aren't speaking up, your silence indicates support in the mind of a sexual harasser.

9. Ladies, I know it's a PITA, but you have to report EVERY SINGLE TIME you encounter sexual harassment. I use Lightshot to grab a screenshot and report. If you can't record it, STILL report it. If enough women are reporting the same guy...? It's not normal, you don't deserve it, you didn't ask for it and you are entitled to enjoy Overwatch without being subjected to sexual harassment. REPORT EVERY SINGLE TIME.

10. When people come to the forum to post about sexual harassment, don't post unless you have something constructive or positive to bring to the discussion. Really, just move along. Women have three goals when they post about sexual harassment. First and foremost, they need to feel HEARD. Second, they need the community to be aware of the problem, acknowledge it exists and condemn it. And last but not least, women need those with the power to do something to HEAR US AND ACT.

11. So many say mute, report and forget. We've been doing the first two for decades and if it hasn't worked by now, it's a good indicator that it's not going to in the future, either. As more females are playing video games every year, the problem is growing. I don't approve of Jeff's statement regarding toxicity in gaming because Blizzard CAN reduce or eliminate the problem. The buck stops with them. Jeff has the power to fix this.

He was right, though, that the community needs to step up. Sexual harassment in video gaming needs to be so socially-unacceptable that those who do it KNOW that someone is going to speak up and those present are going to report it. They also need to KNOW that it's going to result in swift, harsh and permanent consequences.

Finally, women don't forget sexual harassment.

11. Blizzard, some companies do the right thing. Others do not until forced. You have females complaining of a serious issue and we don't feel you are taking it seriously enough. Yeah, what happened with Terrence was publicly embarrassing and you vowed to take concrete steps to combat racism. (Did you?) Females are asking for the same and we hope you care whether it happens in an eSport broadcast watched by tens of thousands...or on a typical Wednesday night in Quick Play. I am sure many of you have mothers, wives, sisters and especially daughters. YOU have the power to change the world for them. It's a choice.
<Removed by forum moderator for toxicity>
lol someone suggested muting females? <Removed by forum moderator for language>

But hey...you do know its a kids game right? Its expected to encounter horny teenagers that want to act 'tough' on the internet. You block and report them. Thats it.

Blocking = no harrasment - all you gotta do.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you - but people often forget that they dont have to listen to immature toxic people, they dont have to confront them - just block them. Thats all
Yeah, I tried to bail earlier to avoid any more back and forth and so it wouldn't be deleted but I guess it didn't matter.
I don't disagree with what you say, but the forums is not the place to report sexual harassment. There are channels that you can use to communicate your experience with the Blizzard staff and make sure that the offender gets punished.
This part of the forums (general) is here for discussion. Discussion means that certainly there are going to be people posting stuff that you may or may not agree with and you don't have any right to silence them or report them, as long as their post is within the Rules and Regulations of each forum segment.
The things you mention in your post, remind me more of a "either agree with what i say or don't post" which again is not how forums work or should work no matter how noble the cause.
<Removed by forum moderator for trolling>
<Removed by forum moderator for trolling>
I don't disagree with what you say, but the forums is not the place to report sexual harassment. There are channels that you can use to communicate your experience with the Blizzard staff and make sure that the offender gets punished.
This part of the forums is for (general) is here for discussion. Discussion means that certainly there are going to be people posting stuff that you may or may not agree with and you don't have any right to silence them or report them, as long as their post is within the Rules and Regulation of each forum segment.
The things you mention in your post, remind me more of a "either agree with what i say or don't post" which again is not how forums work or should work no matter how noble the cause.

Not the place to call people out by name but why would discussing the topic itself and the consequences for this kind of behavior be prohibited? In the thread that got deleted, the person just wanted harsher punishment for people who harass her. Of course people disagreed for seemingly no reason at all, a lot of arguing ensued and eventually the thread was shut down.
10/22/2017 06:47 AMPosted by Psychokraken
This part of the forums (general) is here for discussion. Discussion means that certainly there are going to be people posting stuff that you may or may not agree with and you don't have any right to silence them or report them, as long as their post is within the Rules and Regulations of each forum segment.

And when reporting fails? What should players do then? Is this not the purpose of the forum?

Go back and read what I said: I see posts here every single day that are against the TOS and ROC, yet are allowed to stand. You can count on seeing them when a female reports sexual harassment.

There is no reason why this issue cannot be discussed within the parameters of the forum rules.
So, I am going to join in on this again much like the last.

I've never seen it happen, Never done it, Never had it happen to me, Never witnessed it, None of my friends have heard of it ever happening...

I swear this gets blown out of proportion every time.
10/22/2017 06:57 AMPosted by Raven

I've never seen it happen, Never done it, Never had it happen to me, Never witnessed it, None of my friends have heard of it ever happening...

See #7 above. Just because you've never seen it, doesn't mean it never happens and may mean you just don't recognize it.

7. Stop with the "I've never seen this" garbage. Just because you haven't noticed it doesn't mean it never happens. In fact, you might want to consider if you have been socialized to NOT recognize sexual harassment.

Oooookaaaaayyyyyy..
It Happens, just because it didn't happen to you or you never saw it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But the solution is always the same, insta mute anything that seems like it is going that way, block, report and enjoy your game.

This wanting justice from Blizzard is never going to work, because it always comes down to hearsay. Blizzard can't even stop trolling, when they can look at data to see patterns. Somehow they will figure out how to justly deal with stuff that happens on comms, which they don't have any data for??
10/22/2017 06:56 AMPosted by SilkPenny
10/22/2017 06:47 AMPosted by Psychokraken

And when reporting fails? What should players do then? Is this not the purpose of the forum?

Go back and read what I said: I see posts here every single day that are against the TOS and ROC, yet are allowed to stand. You can count on seeing them when a female reports sexual harassment.

There is no reason why this issue cannot be discussed within the parameters of the forum rules.

Then demand from Blizzard staff to improve reporting. Simple as that. The forums are a place for discussion. if you can and are willing to ensue in a discussion then by all means go ahead. But you cannot dictate and demand what people will say or what their opinion will be. In other words democracy.
As for posts violating tos and rules then just report them.
10/22/2017 07:02 AMPosted by SilkPenny

See #7 above. Just because you've never seen it, doesn't mean it never happens and may mean you just don't recognize it.

Oh I recognize it entirely, I deal with harassment far more than any ordinary woman would IRL, The difference is you lot here are overblowing this
I love the ghost of the ghost argument. Men have been socialized so that our feeble minds can't even detect harassment. We're all just Harveys on the inside.

Give me a break. When someone is rude to you, whether it fits a category or not, ask your team to report them and move on. I play with girls regularly and my team mates wouldn't tolerate harassment, though it has yet to occur.
Can we stop dividing ourselves and instead speak with one voice about the single issue of toxicity?

<Removed by me myself, for no actual reason>

If you only knew how many comments I've replied to on Youtube tonight alone. From random dudes that don't know how to control themselves. I literally see this every single day. I'm a guy. I don't look for these idiots, they find me. I watch a few girls' Youtube channels. The channels are smaller so the dudes are way more aggressive because they know they'll be noticed. It's insane.

Now you have a game like Overwatch. Again, small setting. Young dude can't control himself. Has to speak up or he might miss his opportunity. It's not every day you come across a girl who has the same interests as you after all. If he's rejected, hey, nothing to lose, he's anonymous - might as well attack her and make her as uncomfortable as possible for humiliating him.

It's the same thing every single time. Someone steps in to say something? White Knight, SJW, etc. Same. Thing. Every. Time. They're like clones.