Explanation on the Torb main ban from Blizzard

General Discussion
Prev 1 143 144 145 166 Next
11/13/2017 04:34 PMPosted by DaPope
On the one hand, I can see where Blizzard is coming from; someone sticking to one hero, no matter the situation or team composition, is not good teamwork.

It's weird. You could make a checklist of 10 things that are good teamwork, he could check off 9 out of 10 and there would still be people saying "well, glad he got banned.. he had poor teamwork".

Meanwhile some other guy can only check 5 out of 10 on that same list, but hero selection wasn't one of them so nobody says a thing because he was trying.
Give him a buff so he'll be perceived as a more useful pick in more scenarios.

As it stands right now, somebody insta-locking Torb or Widow/Hanzo gives people a bad taste in their mouth, because that's what throwers/trolls do.

No, not everybody who does this is a thrower, some are just very good with those heroes...but I AM saying that it's stigmatized because the action itself matches the favorite action of many throwers.

I'm of the opinion that if you're proficient at a particular hero, play it...as long as you also utilize good communication skills and work with your team to make winning easier.
The solution is very simple. If Blizzard want to enforce that everyone flex to at least 3 heroes to keep their ranks, just add an auto-lock in any hero that compromises 40% of your total playtime in that season after the qualifiers. This way, you enforces everyone to juggle between at least three heroes around.

I know the community will not endorse it, because the "OTP" excuse is exactly that, and excuse. What they want is to ban off-meta players, not OTP because this would make a ton of tank/support players angry very, very fast.

Its also the reason why I don't think a role queue will help, because people will still complain if their two DPS are Hanzo and Widow, or if a Symmetra player "steal" a support slot.
11/13/2017 01:54 PMPosted by Valkyria
11/13/2017 01:44 PMPosted by Lalalabumba
Their second statement is the problem; its ambiguous

No it's not. They're saying you can't get banned for playing only 1 hero.
But you can get banned for not swapping off that 1 hero.

Makes perfect sense :^)

It's a complete manipulation that honestly I take as an insult to my intelligence that they'd try and sell us it.

Totally underhanded.
11/13/2017 04:41 PMPosted by Nibelung
The solution is very simple. If Blizzard want to enforce that everyone flex to at least 3 heroes to keep their ranks,

Something some people aren't really seeing here is that this ban goes way beyond one tricking. This ban is basically saying that if some loudmouth in your group is demanding you switch heroes you have to switch or risk getting banned for "poor teamwork".

It doesn't matter if you are a one trick or if you play every hero in the game regularly. It doesn't matter if he is completely full of crap. If this loudmouth is just berating you and demanding you switch or he will report you... you are left there thinking "this guys a jerk but.... could I actually get banned here?".

This situation is completely unacceptable.
11/13/2017 04:56 PMPosted by Buttercult
The solution is very simple. If Blizzard want to enforce that everyone flex to at least 3 heroes to keep their ranks,

Something some people aren't really seeing here is that this ban goes way beyond one tricking. This ban is basically saying that if some loudmouth in your group is demanding you switch heroes you have to switch or risk getting banned for "poor teamwork".

It doesn't matter if you are a one trick or if you play every hero in the game regularly. It doesn't matter if he is completely full of crap. If this loudmouth is just berating you and demanding you switch or he will report you... you are left there thinking "this guys a jerk but.... could I actually get banned here?".

This situation is completely unacceptable.

Sounds very much along the lines of what RagTagg covered in his most recent video(rant).
Something some people aren't really seeing here is that this ban goes way beyond one tricking.

I know. That's why my suggestion is a way to shut that excuse down. A lot of people (me included) are only wanting some clarification from Blizzard part if social pressure can ensue a ban (and maybe an apology to Fuey), while the other side is constantly screaming "but OTP are bad, OTP should be banned, everyone should be able to flex".

Banning any hero from shooting too much ahead of others in play time do that. It completely solves the "OTP" problem, and everyone agree this is a terrible solution because the problem for those players is not people going OTP.
11/13/2017 05:05 PMPosted by Nibelung
Something some people aren't really seeing here is that this ban goes way beyond one tricking.

I know. That's why my suggestion is a way to shut that excuse down. A lot of people (me included) are only wanting some clarification from Blizzard part if social pressure can ensue a ban (and maybe an apology to Fuey), while the other side is constantly screaming "but OTP are bad, OTP should be banned, everyone should be able to flex".

Banning any hero from shooting too much ahead of others in play time do that. It completely solves the "OTP" problem, and everyone agree this is a terrible solution because the problem for those players is not people going OTP.

Ya but I think locking a character altogether if they're above a certain percentage of playtime on your account in Comp is too far, especially if you're world-class on a hero at top 500 and need to pick it to counter someone. Maybe reduced SR gains for certain character if they're above a certain percentage of playtime on your account in comp, but even that has issues (might skew the one-trick's winrate higher?)
11/13/2017 04:50 PMPosted by Sovereign
11/13/2017 01:54 PMPosted by Valkyria

No it's not. They're saying you can't get banned for playing only 1 hero.
But you can get banned for not swapping off that 1 hero.

Makes perfect sense :^)

It's a complete manipulation that honestly I take as an insult to my intelligence that they'd try and sell us it.

Totally underhanded.

It's either a blatant lie to try to pretend that something's true, or they're stupid enough to think that players WON'T try to enforce the meta.
11/13/2017 05:16 PMPosted by Lalalabumba
11/13/2017 05:05 PMPosted by Nibelung

Ya but I think locking a character altogether if they're above a certain percentage of playtime on your account in Comp is too far, especially if you're world-class on a hero at top 500 and need to pick it to counter someone. Maybe reduced SR gains for certain character if they're above a certain percentage of playtime on your account in comp, but even that has issues (might skew the one-trick's winrate higher?)

This is interesting but I think the underlying issue here is everyone is trying to climb the ladder in a team based game that grades players based on individual performance.

If there was a way to see what the team as a whole had to gain/lose at the start of each match(on the VS. screen) that also took into account the 'team SR average differences', the game wouldn't feel so cut throat.

We would all know up front what we had to gain or lose from that game. No tricks, no gimmicks, no ulterior motives. Just facts.
Everyone would be in the same boat.
This would naturally promote team play and alleviate so much confusion among the community... eliminating all those questions of whether the system is "fair" when it comes to SR gains/losses.
I told my daughter she could have chocolate after she ate her dinner for several years now but in spirit of punishing people without warning I decided to tell my child that since she ate chocolate I have to punish her now because chocolate isn't good for you.

Seriously, Blizz, you can't go around punishing people for something they didn't know and were not told before was a banning offence. You guys ever heard of a warning?

Do I hate one tricks who don't switch when countered? Yes. Do I think you handled this situation like an adult? No.
I honestly think all those people that defended the one trick players is hypocrite.

Let's be real here, you all one trick player will stop playing the game completely if one day blizzard decide to always put all one trick player to queue against and with each other, everytime.

I can't wait to actually see them all fighting in the game over who should play a tank and healer. Tell me you're enjoying the environment again and how you'll "one trick over it" just like how you tell us to "flex over it" when confronted.

You cried over how other people have to understand you.

It's just like anti vaxxer. Nuff said
Blizzard you created the beast of fpsmorpg and now you are trying to tame it but you do so in the most tyrant of ways. You create rules and guidlines for reporting and when people obey the rules you ban because you try and create order when you give the system you made zero order. Now you face a backlash for your failures and short comings within the system and implement unspoken rules that you have now enforced. The question is how will all this end? Is there going to be any winners or will people come out more hurt along with the game itself? There are plenty of ways of creating order amongst chaos but it takes intellegent decision making not clouded by ignorance and vanity.
I got downvoted for saying a logival reason.

Don't be a scaredy cat and reply properly instead of down voting. Put your logic and think about it. When you one trick player get into a game, you're hoping 5 other player to deal with your crap. You hypothetically assume that refusing to give away your ego for the team is absolutely fine. Yet you're not willing to play with 11 other one trick player?!?!

It's like you want to stab other people but you hate being stabbed. It's not fsir
11/13/2017 05:46 PMPosted by yoztpetra

Don't be a scaredy cat and reply properly instead of down voting. Put your logic and think about it. When you one trick player get into a game, you're hoping 5 other player to deal with your crap. You hypothetically assume that refusing to give away your ego for the team is absolutely fine. Yet you're not willing to play with 11 other one trick player?!?!

It's like you want to stab other people but you hate being stabbed. It's not fsir

Take it to the extreme -- a top 500 that's only ever played one character -- your team might think they're better off on another pick, but in a top 500 game playing a character for the first time is pretty much throwing.

If Blizzard wants us competent on a diverse set of characters, they need to enforce diverse character selection as we climb in SR, but they don't. Playing your most skilled character isn't necessarily bad teamwork or a failure to try.

One tricks also often like eachother, they don't despise eachother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox91-xAdeno
11/13/2017 05:46 PMPosted by yoztpetra

You got one downvote, grow a thicker skin.
ROFL so what if he swapped from Torb to Bastion? There's no way to spin this or manipulate it without it still ending up being completely absurd. "Cry cry cry you didn't play the character I told you to play" is a bannable offense now LOL.
The solution is very simple. If Blizzard want to enforce that everyone flex to at least 3 heroes to keep their ranks, just add an auto-lock in any hero that compromises 40% of your total playtime in that season after the qualifiers. This way, you enforces everyone to juggle between at least three heroes around.

I know the community will not endorse it, because the "OTP" excuse is exactly that, and excuse. What they want is to ban off-meta players, not OTP because this would make a ton of tank/support players angry very, very fast.

Its also the reason why I don't think a role queue will help, because people will still complain if their two DPS are Hanzo and Widow, or if a Symmetra player "steal" a support slot.

When did competitive SR become a measure of how good you are at playing the entire roster and counterpicking? Those are nice skills to have, but far less valuable than being excellent at positioning and aiming, something that is mostly learned per hero.