Explanation on the Torb main ban from Blizzard

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 166 Next
This is what trying to make a game about e-sports creates.

A cesspool of elitism jerkwardness and self-righterousness supported by Blizz and whatever view they have of what should be Fun™ (aka pick Genji and Tracer and have Fun™ with your mobility... and stream to give us free publicity! E-$port$ amirite???).
11/11/2017 07:58 AMPosted by Matrim
I guess you guys fail to realize that he didn't get the suspension for one trick only, but because he refused to communicate.

Even if he did, refusing to communicate isn't against the rules either. If it were, the mute button wouldn't be there.

Yeah, that's indeed true. But that's the problem of accumulating negative behavior like Insta locking, refusing to communicate, playing a hero you have to be communicating as to build the team for it to work etc... If none of these things exist, it's merely a QP chaos at this point...
If this is true .. I'm done. I'm done with this game, I'm done with Blizzard. This is a joke.
11/11/2017 06:36 AMPosted by scapegoat
11/11/2017 06:24 AMPosted by Bloggerman
...This.

It annoys me so much that people care more about their virtual rank in a video game than, you know, playing for fun, that they have no problem wrongfully report someone because of his/hers character pick.

You also have to keep in mind that you can simply group up, create a 6 stack. If you really want to boss people around, tryharding to top1 then you can do that without making other people's afterhours miserable.

I never understand this argument. The whole they ruin the fun of 5 other people. Okay so this one person wants to play torb. But since 5 people decided to gang up and more or less bully the person into doing what they want that one player now has to have no fun because the others come first. The hypocrisy is blatant.
Lets be honest this top 500 torb player is likely not the most toxic, uncommunicative or thrower player (from what I heard, far from it), the real issue here is that Blizz suspended him specifically for playing off-meta. Like there are probably hundred of players that should need suspecion or banning but arent? And instead the system that ignores actually horrible to play with people, goes against the one trick torb?

OK.

I have seen dozens of extremely toxic Genji/Tracer mains that throw and refuse to change pick for the team go unpunished for months.

Honestly if Blizz themselves consider Torb to be a troll pick... maybe its time to buff torb make him actually threatening to what he is supposed to counter.
11/11/2017 07:58 AMPosted by Matrim

Even if he did, refusing to communicate isn't against the rules either. If it were, the mute button wouldn't be there.

Yeah, that's indeed true. But that's the problem of accumulating negative behavior like Insta locking, refusing to communicate, playing a hero you have to be communicating as to build the team for it to work etc... If none of these things exist, it's merely a QP chaos at this point...

I instalock lucio sometimes. I’m ready to be banned.
11/11/2017 05:54 AMPosted by ǶAENOX
Blizzard is a joke.

I got forum ban for 1 month for asking report cheater with video proofs with obivousest aimbot

So its OK practice

Would no wonder if some1 will get banned bcz some 5 ppl premade will report him bcz they dont like him
I'm speechless that this was upheld or even allowed to go through.
11/11/2017 07:41 AMPosted by Matrim
This ban shows that Blizzard has heard this type of feedback and is working towards lowering toxicity in Competitive. T

Yes, I am pretty sure people reporting each other all the time for violating the nebulous meta "rules" is really going to lower the toxicity. /s

Play whatever you want in any one of the non-Competitive modes like Arcade, QP, Vs. AI, and Custom Games. If you do not play to win in Competitive, which might require you to change your hero selection based on your team's or the opposing team's composition, then do not play Competitive. That is the message they are sending.

As I stated in an earlier post, this particular Torbjorn main is not the problem, as he does play to win and has some flexibility. For the literal 99% of players outside of the very top of the Competitive ladder, one-tricks refusing to change are the bane of a lot of players who are forced to fill to accommodate these types of players. All people who are accidental Support or Tank mains because of selfish players should love this.
11/11/2017 08:25 AMPosted by TheRoseEXP
I'm speechless that this was upheld or even allowed to go through.

Same.

This goes against the idea that overwatch has been promoting of diversity, etc.

If a character is SO BAD that its bannable to play them, buff them
11/11/2017 06:06 AMPosted by Bloggerman
From the in-game report system:
Poor teamwork is:
Not trying to complete map objectives, or constantly communicating in a negative fashion (i.e. "This team is horrible.").

Poor teamwork is not:
Playing a hero that is not considered optimal by the community, or staying silent in team voice chat.
You shouldn't be banned for playing Torbjorn, even on attack.

You should however, if you refuse to switch if its not working, refuse to play with the rest of the team comp, and insist on playing Torb, or any hero, that is not successful at that point in time.
I just wanted to chime in and make sure that everyone knows that we’re currently digging into the reports, investigating this ban, and thinking about how this type of situation affects specialized players and their teammates.

We take both sides of the issue very seriously. We believe that players should be able to choose their favorite heroes, but playing as a team (which includes building an effective team composition) is a core part of the Overwatch experience. It’s a delicate balance, and we’re still working on getting it right (and probably always will be).

If you’ve been playing Blizzard games for a while, you’ve probably heard us use the phrase “Play nice; play fair.” It’s like a mantra around the Blizzard campus, and it’s a big part of the way that we approach situations like this. People tend to focus on the “playing fair” part, but they forget about “playing nice.” Sometimes that means switching off at your teammates' request, and sometimes that means working around your teammate’s specialization.

Either way, Overwatch is more fun when everyone is playing nice.

Thank you for your patience as we investigate this situation, and thank you for your passion/enthusiasm about Overwatch.
'specialized' players.

Is that your code for one-tricks then who refuse to swap?

I'm 'specialized' as Doomfist guys, sorry they broke him!
11/11/2017 10:35 AMPosted by Josh Engen
I just wanted to chime in and make sure that everyone knows that we’re currently digging into the reports, investigating this ban, and thinking about how this type of situation effects specialized players and their teammates.

We take both sides of the issue very seriously. We believe that players should be able to choose their favorite heroes, but playing as a team (which includes building an effective team composition) is a core part of the Overwatch experience. It’s a delicate balance, and we’re still working on getting it right (and probably always will be).

If you’ve been playing Blizzard games for a while, you’ve probably heard us use the phrase “Play nice; play fair.” It’s like a mantra around the Blizzard campus, and it’s a big part of the way that we approach situations like this. People tend to focus on the “playing fair” part, but they forget about “playing nice.” Sometimes that means switching off at your teammates' request, and sometimes that means working around your teammate’s specialization.

Thank you for your patience as we investigate this situation, and thank you for your passion/enthusiasm about Overwatch.

PLAY NICE == PLAY META HERO
Highly Rated
I just wanted to chime in and make sure that everyone knows that we’re currently digging into the reports, investigating this ban, and thinking about how this type of situation effects specialized players and their teammates.

Maybe you should consider adapting a system like you are using in Hearthstone with the "Standard" and "Wild" ranked system?

Provide a comp for flex playstyle and another comp for instalocked one trick play styles.

This way everyone could be happy.
Highly Rated

Overwatch was more fun when Competitive wasn't introduced the way it was.
Highly Rated
I just wanted to chime in and make sure that everyone knows that we’re currently digging into the reports, investigating this ban, and thinking about how this type of situation affects specialized players and their teammates.

What about toxicity? "Playing nice" also means BEING nice.
Justice is served! Thanks for the reply finally. Much needed.
Highly Rated

I really hope you guys make the right decision.

This will absolutely have an impact on the future of the game.

When a 58.5% winrate top 500 torbjorn player is banned for their specialized pick, what hope do I have if I want to play Sombra in ranked?

None.

I really hope you guys make the right decision.