Explanation on the Torb main ban from Blizzard

General Discussion
Prev 1 59 60 61 166 Next
5 people say, “hey play a different hero, we’re more comfortable with that”

1 person says, “no I do what I want”

Ok reported, and rightfully so.

To do well in comp you must bow to the wishes of your team every time. It is not playing nice, otherwise.
So I guess it is not enough that the community hates us Torb mains?
Blizzard now officially hates us, too.
SO basically if its an off meta non E-sport friendly hero you get banned? !@#$ THIS GAME! Holy %^-* this confirms the defense category is not meant to be viable.
11/11/2017 08:09 PMPosted by Josh Engen
These were examples of behavior intended to disrupt Competitive Play.

This sentence bothers me a lot. Intent is hard to pinpoint because it is motivation. Unless someone professes their intent in chat, and since I know you guys don't have access to voice chat logs as they don't exist, and you also don't have access to replays of the game in question, I can only assume you only have access to text logs and whatever it is that people say in the report.

So unless Fuey says he's going to throw cuz of some reason it's hard to know intent. I don't think it really adds up though, how is Fuey intent on disrupting competitive play? Exactly how? In what cases did he cross the line and how? This is important knowledge as I'm sure anyone who mains off meta heroes would agree, as they don't wish to be banned.

To be clear, specializing in certain heroes or playing off-meta heroes is not bad behavior on its own. In fact, we actively encourage people to be clever with their team comps and work with their teammates to counter the enemy comp. Teamwork is important and should be considered when making your hero selections, especially in Competitive Play.

This paragraph is excruciatingly unclear despite starting with the phrase to be clear. You say playing off meta is not bad behavior on it's own. This would seem to say if it is combined with something else though, it IS! But you fail to be clear on what that is.

Then you say teamwork is important, and should be considered when making hero selections but that is not clear either as a lot of toxic people that are mean and falsely report off meta mains will do so under the guise of "you aren't doing what me and this other guy think you should, so you aren't working with the team". Which is what has everyone so upset in the first place. Basically the one thing that needs clarified you left up to our own interpretation by being as vague as possible. It also sounds like you are in favor of banning anyone with dissenting views or ways of playing the game from the meta nd the majority due to your word choice and vagueness and the fact your statements somewhat align with what mean toxic people will say to off meta mains in the first place.

You're also encouraging people to be vindictive and mean, there's already been cases of people sharing stream clips of people using this as an excuse to try to force others picks and be toxic to them see here: https://clips.twitch.tv/SucculentColorfulTroutThunBeast

Here's a transcript:
"I'm going to report Doomfist for one trick, he will get banned." [smug intonation]
[people ignore him say hello]
"If you don't change doomfist I'm going to report you for poor teamwork and you're going to get suspended, b!@#%$, cuz that's what is going on" [said proudly]
[team starts trying to cooperate around the doomfist picking zarya and trying to keep team spirit up]
"We can report Widow too, widow for one-trick. Tell your friend to go Zenyata" [spoken with anger]

So you're empowering the truly toxic individuals I hope you realize the fire started here is only going to grow unless you actually face down and delete these kind of toxic people from your community.

What pisses me off probably the MOST however out of all of this, is there's lots of reports every day sent by people for sexual harassment, racism, and things that legit make people afraid to even speak in the game and your attention is on one-tricks most of all. It's quite frankly backwards and messed up, many here have said they report these people and never get an email saying action was taken. This doesn't even take into account that if people are aggressive towards people, the common thread is to be aggressive back. So anyone that tries to stick up for themselves against people like above are going to be banned because they already accumulated a ton of false reports so anything like that they do will be used as grounds to ban them while these people that are toxic run around free causing havoc and making OW a less safe or fun place for everyone. Toxicity breeds toxicity because people react, and you're empowering the source of toxicity to have a stronger voice and control over others simply due to the fact so many of them share a common view on forcing people to pick meta heroes and want to impinge on others choices and way of playing the game.

All this will lead to is if they don't want you to play the game b/c of your view on the matter, they will then try to get a rise out of you and if successful report you and then you'll come back and tell us working as intended. They don't even have to try really, as most one tricks or off meta players are already used to their abuse and you don't take harsh treatment better over time, it builds up and makes it worse.
11/11/2017 11:52 PMPosted by Hobotripin
So when Jeff comes in and tells you this dude was throwing, what are you going to say?

"It doesn't matter what the streamer did, what matters is how the team has framed the issue and how this creates a tension between the spoken and unspoken rules of the community, which causes friction and erodes trust in Blizzard's staff. Can we please address that question rather than focusing on the specifics of one person's case?"

Next question?
I honestly don't get why there is any controversy here. It's pretty apparent that the guy wasn't banned for one tricking, but for other reasons:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/7c9mkb/one_tricking_isnt_bannable_but_doing_this_as_a/
11/12/2017 12:03 AMPosted by Niclmaki

To do well in comp you must bow to the wishes of your team every time. It is not playing nice, otherwise.

So if the whole team tells you to kiss their butts are you willing to do it?
11/12/2017 12:06 AMPosted by hrefna
11/11/2017 11:52 PMPosted by Hobotripin
So when Jeff comes in and tells you this dude was throwing, what are you going to say?

"It doesn't matter what the streamer did, what matters is how the team has framed the issue and how this creates a tension between the spoken and unspoken rules of the community, which causes friction and erodes trust in Blizzard's staff. Can we please address that question rather than focusing on the specifics of one person's case?"

Next question?
Then make your own thread about blizzard and its iffyness on rules, considering this thread is about the specifics of one person's case. But yeah, "Dude was in the wrong, lets ignore what he did and now lets focus on something else!!!!!" great response.
11/12/2017 12:07 AMPosted by Rivinhal
I honestly don't get why there is any controversy here. It's pretty apparent that the guy wasn't banned for one tricking, but for other reasons:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/7c9mkb/one_tricking_isnt_bannable_but_doing_this_as_a/
Thats not about Fuey that’s about someone else. Look at the usernames they’re talking about.
Where I can report Josh Engen?
11/12/2017 12:07 AMPosted by Rivinhal

Go to the first post and actually read what the Game Master stated.

He was LITERALLY banned for playing a specific character and not switching when his team told him to.
11/12/2017 12:03 AMPosted by Niclmaki

Perhaps. But it clearly states in the rules that you can play what you want to play as long as you make the attempt to win. And even Jeff Kaplan himself assured everyone that nobody would be banned for playing the hero they want to play. He used those words.

So regardless of teamwork, or whatever else. The issue is that Blizzard contradicted their own rules and punished someone unfairly. Someone who, might I add is the BEST player of that hero he plays in the world. This isn't hyperbole or an exaggeration, Fuey is literally the best Torbjorn player in the world and he has a winning game percentage.

It's the contradiction that most of us want clarification on. If people can report people for the hero they pick, then tell us that and let us decide for ourselves if we want to start reporting those Sym players or Bastion players. If a Torb can be reported, we surely can report that Doomfist that's been dying over and over trying to take point A on Hanamura.
11/11/2017 11:42 PMPosted by Fuey500
After investigating a number of the cases that have been surfaced over the past 24 hours, we can confirm that the system is working as intended.

None of these were simple cases of “one tricking” or off-meta hero selection. These were examples of behavior intended to disrupt Competitive Play. As such, the punishments will stand.

To be clear, specializing in certain heroes or playing off-meta heroes is not bad behavior on its own. In fact, we actively encourage people to be clever with their team comps and work with their teammates to counter the enemy comp. Teamwork is important and should be considered when making your hero selections, especially in Competitive Play.

We take these kinds of reports very seriously, along with your feedback. We’ll continue to fine-tune our systems, and we apologize for any confusion about the way that these policies have been communicated.

Hi all thank you guys for being super supportive!

I would also really like to know what I had done besides playing 95% of my games as torbjorn(one tricking can be argued left and right but playoverwatch, the support team and the in-game report system have said this is not a bannable offense!)

I stream a solid 90% of my games and play maybe 10% offstream(I don't even remember playing any this season off-stream) each seasonish. If I did anything wrong off or on stream I would also really like to know what was done so I could improve upon it!

We should give them some time its the holiday weekend and a ton of other users have also reported getting suspensions. Everyone want's answers but sometimes its hard to get these answers out especially if everything the blizzard support says will be official so lets give them some time!

Thanks!

You might need to make a thread of your own to get to the bottom of this. Although the low-level Blizzard rep made it very clear.
Stay out of comp, stay out of BS.
I didn't say they said exactly why he was banned in the blue post

"Since your only response to being told exactly what he was banned for is to ignore it."

Maybe you need to start reading your own posts. You immediatly contradicted yourself with your response. You're digging yourself deeper and deeper here.
11/12/2017 12:04 AMPosted by Vrooktar

I mean, is that really news? Torb has languished in non-meta hell since about two months after launch. His last buff was a change to his scrap rate.
11/12/2017 12:12 AMPosted by MEITTI

Maybe you need to start reading your own posts. You immediatly contradicted yourself with your response. You LITERALLY said what you claimed you didn't say.
The quote(that you're intentionally not quoting) is "Ah so you won't have a response when Jeff tells you the reason he was banned was because he was throwing...Since your only response to being told exactly what he was banned for is to ignore it." Again, you're a little slow and I'm trying to work with you but you're making it really hard.

All he said was "disruptive behaviour" which the CA post also mentioned. Nowhere did they say what that disruptive behaviour was. Yet you seem to know exactly what it was so please tell us, The Torb guy himself just chimed in few pages ago and asked what exactly he did wrong so we'd like to know.

Come on, worship that Jeff-doll in your altar, channel in the Blizzard-energies and tell us what Blizzard is thinking.
If you play a team game, listening to your teammates is going to be a natural part of that. I for one am pretty glad that one-tricking type behavior, and the attitude to refuse to swap as if it's the rest of the team at fault that you decided to specialize in a single (and usually niche) hero, is becoming a minor offense.

Competitive should be an environment where you play to win, not to test your skills with one particular hero on every single map all the time. The fact of the matter is, not all heroes are always viable, and I think the blue post response here is clear in that being off-meta isn't the problem, it's the refusal to work with your team. And, in this specific issue, it's added with the fact that your refusal to cooperate stems from a self-invoked vow to play a specific hero at all times. If that hero happens to work all the time, that's an unfortunate note of balance and versatility with individual heroes, but the fact remains that despite communication from your team that a hero would not work, a player will still squat on that character regardless of the frustration that causes the other five teammates.

Obviously this problem can't be solved without making a bit of a mess, but honestly this is much better than the alternative which was how the past seasons worked; an entire game being decided on whether or not you got stuck with a one-trick that refused to work with the rest of the team. I'm happy Blizzard is putting their foot down and standing firm that this is a team game, and competitive should be the number one place to play competitively; that means working with other people.
11/12/2017 12:17 AMPosted by escampee
11/12/2017 12:04 AMPosted by Vrooktar

I mean, is that really news? Torb has languished in non-meta hell since about two months after launch. His last buff was a change to his scrap rate.

Well until now they at least had enough room left to act as if they were interested in Torbjörns existence.