AFK Kicker Inconsistent

Bug Report
It appears the conditions for an AFK kick tend to vary between time and game mode. Sometimes it kicks you for not dealing damage, sometimes for sitting in one spot despite dealing damage (Bastion), and other times it kicks you for absolutely no reason. Could we get a bit of clarity about this, and possibly a fix for the illogical afk kicks in the near future?

Extra posts and experiences regarding the matter:
10/11/2017 09:07 AMPosted by AwesomeGeese
10/11/2017 09:01 AMPosted by Slowwoke
Then there must be a bug, because in these games I literally run around the map, use abilities, land body shots on a Widowmaker, and get kicked 5 seconds later.

There's also been a deathmatch game where I've gotten kicked on bastion because I didn't inflict damage for a certain number of time, yet I was active in turret form, moving my camera around and saying voice lines.

To go with your experience, yesterday a friend of mine almost got afk kicked for not damaging AI in Junkenstein's revenge.

With Bastion, I've gotten the afk warning, despite spraying bullets at enemies and landing a few shots.
The rules for inactivity do vary based on the game mode and settings. There is not one set of rules that governs it all. In general, if you do not pick a hero, remain idle, or are not contributing to the current game objective, you will be marked AFK.

If you do encounter a specific AFK that you believe is in error, please post as much detail here (video links are a HUGE help!) and we'll investigate.

Thanks!
10/11/2017 10:45 AMPosted by Scott Mercer
The rules for inactivity do vary based on the game mode and settings. There is not one set of rules that governs it all. In general, if you do not pick a hero, remain idle, or are not contributing to the current game objective, you will be marked AFK.

If you do encounter a specific AFK that you believe is in error, please post as much detail here (video links are a HUGE help!) and we'll investigate.

Thanks!

Glad to hear, so what I can gather off of that, AFK's possibly have basic rules for kicks.

Possible things I guess it checks for to keep you in
-Payload/hybrid/KOTH/Assault (damaging or healing + moving, objective time + moving)
-DM/Junk's Revenge/Elimination (damaging enemies + movement)

DM requiring dealing damage explains why people get kicked often in headshots only mode, so maybe that one in particular could use an adjustment. Latency probably doesn't help in some cases as sometimes it takes a player a bit longer to load into a game and the AFK timer probably activates when the server loads the match, not the specific player and explains why some people are reporting those insta-kicks in comp.
10/11/2017 10:45 AMPosted by Scott Mercer

Thanks!

Yesterday i went to a custom game to see Eichenwalde with the halloween skin, i was playing as Lúcio and got the AFK notice even though i was walking around switching auras, etc. I can go record it if you'd like, but it's very easy to replicate.

Is that intentional? Shouldn't walking around and using abilities, Hello emote, etc. stop the timer? I know that you don't have to damage an enemy to make it go away, because i got the notice twice while all my friends were on my own team (no enemies in lobby), but the 2nd time i couldn't get it to go away no matter what i did.
10/11/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Ganbo
Yesterday i went to a custom game to see Eichenwalde with the halloween skin, i was playing as Lúcio and got the AFK notice even though i was walking around switching auras, etc.

As Scott mentioned, which game mode did you have it set to? I usually don't get kicked when lobby is waiting for players and skirmish, allowing for lengthy tours.
Scott: Thanks for the post! Here's a video of how AFK causes problems in one-shot custom games. I joined an Ana Paintball game and intentionally played terribly and didn't get any kills over a 2-3 minute period. This video clip is the last minute including the kick. While this might seem silly at first, it's very common for a lesser skilled player to go long stretches without any kills, and if the game has very few players this can happen to anyone. The worst part is that when kicked for inactivity, the other players aren't even aware of what happened because the message from their side is just "Player left the game."

https://gfycat.com/WeightyNauticalBufflehead
10/11/2017 01:45 PMPosted by AwesomeGeese
10/11/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Ganbo
Yesterday i went to a custom game to see Eichenwalde with the halloween skin, i was playing as Lúcio and got the AFK notice even though i was walking around switching auras, etc.

As Scott mentioned, which game mode did you have it set to? I usually don't get kicked when lobby is waiting for players and skirmish, allowing for lengthy tours.

It was skirmish in a custom game, i switched everyone to the enemy team at one point because we wanted to see inside the 1st attacker spawn too.
Any update on this one? The red bar is just the worst, when you most need to get a kill, half your screen is completely obscured by it. :(