A Letter From A Chinese Overwatch Player to Blizzard

General Discussion
10/26/2017 10:41 AMPosted by BabyMagnum
Thanks Trump.

This isn't new and has been an issue for years, so who is the president isn't the issue.
I hope blizzars sees this
This is sad. As a Chinese Canadian, I was so glad both country made to the finals, The Canadian team will have no issue with this since we can cross boarder easily. I don't know how U.S. is determine someone is a risk to national security and stuff, but c'mon, they are just video game players, and only will stay there for less than a month or so.
Bump, this needs blizzard acknowledgement
I saw your post on reddit and I hope you and your team can to play together.

Bump for acknowledgement.
Not sure this is the place to complain - Blizzard can't really do much, even lobbying

Visa access is a huge political hot-button right now in the US and with the current administration, I don't see that getting any easier any time soon
This happens in Dota, and being the biggest esport it still doesn't help. It's not only Chinese, but people from Asia many were getting denied.
I did a little digging and it seems the US is the only country that commonly denies VISAs to players
what the heck?!?!? how is this even a thing :(
Extremely disappointed with this development. Undead and Shy are two of my most favorite players from the Chinese team. While I don't think Blizzard can do anything this late, I just hope that in the future this can be changed (but fingers crossed that something good might happen before the matches at BlizzCon).

这太突然了。中国队,希望你坚强一点儿。听了这个新闻我想哭。如果明年Blizzard可以帮一帮,可以拿到签证,就太棒了。祝中国队一帆风顺。我会为你们欢大呼。
If you join up for an e-sports team for OW you might as well be committing suicide.
10/26/2017 04:10 PMPosted by SavagedBlade
I did a little digging and it seems the US is the only country that commonly denies VISAs to players

Out of interest, did you do digging in the opposite direction? For example, is it predominantly players from Russia and China who have their visas denied?
You are asking the wrong people,
If a team is expecting to reach the world cups - they will file the Visa months in advance. The failure is due to the team managers not preparing for travel long before the competition when they know such issues could arise.

In another words it is 100% team managements fault for not actually knowing the nuances of international travel. Nothing funny, about it.
Write a love letter to the Chinese management team to get their !@#$ together. You setup 5 months in advance you have nothing to worry about.

I have over twenty years of travel experience and traveled to nearly every continent on the planet.
Korea is going to steam roll now. GG Blizzard. You broke your game for casuals and pros
10/26/2017 10:41 AMPosted by BabyMagnum
Thanks Trump.

did you even read the post? he was showing us examples about this that happened before trump, back to 2006
10/26/2017 04:39 PMPosted by Sidratha
10/26/2017 04:10 PMPosted by SavagedBlade

Out of interest, did you do digging in the opposite direction? For example, is it predominantly players from Russia and China who have their visas denied?

It is communist countries and middle eastern countries that have visa's denied so often for entrance into the US. Russia is no longer a communist country. I haven't heard about Russians having a hard time getting visas into the US, unless they have a criminal record.
Ugh...as an American, I am outright EMBARRASSED by the staff of the-president-that-shall-not-be-named, by Blizzard, and by the entire State Department of the United States.

And worse off, the OP is right in the fact that this is not a new story. In fact, comedian John Oliver did a piece a couple years ago on how translators who risk life and limb to help save US military lives in the Middle East were being denied life-saving visas to get into the US.

I'm probably going to get banned for including the link (cos Oliver uses several cuss words in his pieces), but I feel it's relevant so I'll include the link and I'll sort out the PR storm later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QplQL5eAxlY

Ugh...I knew government was a mess, but I didn't realize it was THIS BIG of a mess...
10/26/2017 04:43 PMPosted by Arena25
Ugh...as an American, I am outright EMBARRASSED by the staff of the-president-that-shall-not-be-named, by Blizzard, and by the entire State Department of the United States.

And worse off, the OP is right in the fact that this is not a new story. In fact, comedian John Oliver did a piece a couple years ago on how translators who risk life and limb to help save US military lives in the Middle East were being denied life-saving visas to get into the US.

I'm probably going to get banned for including the link (cos Oliver uses several cuss words in his pieces), but I feel it's relevant so I'll include the link and I'll sort out the PR storm later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QplQL5eAxlY

Ugh...I knew government was a mess, but I didn't realize it was THIS BIG of a mess...

If you get banned then everyone will call bull on blizzard just saying. So I highly doubt they'll do that.
To everyone blaming trump, that isn't completely accurate. Trumps actions so far have only made it harder for countries that operate under sharia law to get visa's into the US, which has nothing to do with china. I am no Trump supporter, but if he is guilty of any blame at all for this particular topic, it would be apathy, but the same could be said about Obama on this topic. Just keep your comments relative here :)

Most europeans, africans, and south americans won't have a problem getting a visa into the US, unless their country is having problems with civil unrest or for any other very specific reason. If any violent behavior is on record for them, it is a guaranteed black list.

The whole thing started back during the bush administration, 9/11. Getting visa's has been very strict since then, and you have less than a 50% chance if you are from certain countries and your stay extends through national holidays.