Acer Helios running Low fps (20-30) when unplugged

General Discussion
Acer Helios 300, Overwatch runs at very Low fps (20-25) when unplugged, once I plug the power adapter back in, the fps went back up to 100+ fps
OW runs very Low fps when unplugged
My laptop specs are :
I7 7700HQ
GTX 1060
256 GB PCIE SSD
1TB HDD
Help pls?
Isn't it switching on battery to use only intel hd graphics?
Laptops default to the default intel gpu when unplugged.

So when you don't have your laptop plugged in, it's not using the gtx 1060
If I had to take a blind stab at it.
Search "Power Settings" and then go to Additional Power Settings (In Windows 10 at least)

Your current "Plan" is probably power conservation, but even if it's set to Performance you could go to the plan settings and look to see if the CPU or GPU gets toned back when unplugged which it probably does. This can be altered there, more than likely, to fix the issue. Likely under processor power management.
You will need to force the use of the the nvidia gpu and see if there is no "economy mode" turned on that may be halving the processor to save battery. But be warned, battery will not last for a long.
09/27/2017 03:47 AMPosted by Rakan
If I had to take a blind stab at it.
Search "Power Settings" and then go to Additional Power Settings (In Windows 10 at least)

Your current "Plan" is probably power conservation, but even if it's set to Performance you could go to the plan settings and look to see if the CPU or GPU gets toned back when unplugged which it probably does. This can be altered there, more than likely, to fix the issue. Likely under processor power management.

No, the gpu needs the wattage from the charger. It wouldn't even last 20 minutes running it on battery, anyways
yeah, sorry you need constant power to that GTX1060 keep your lap top plugged in.
Your laptop is using the integrated GPU when unplugged.
You have to set the power plan to high performance when unplugged.
Also from the GPU settings you have to set the application that you are running to use the external GPU.

However, as the other said, using the external GPU will drain your battery in no time.
09/27/2017 03:59 AMPosted by HANA
However, as the other said, using the external GPU will drain your battery in no time.

All we can do there is an hour... at max.
09/27/2017 03:37 AMPosted by hanwings
Acer Helios 300, Overwatch runs at very Low fps (20-25) when unplugged, once I plug the power adapter back in, the fps went back up to 100+ fps
My laptop specs are :
I7 7700HQ
GTX 1060
256 GB PCIE SSD
1TB HDD

Go to geforce experience, it should be in options. "Battery Saver: OFF"
Yes I'm surprised most people don't know this who seem to buy 'gaming' laptops...

The product itself is almost oxymoronic. I mean the purpose of laptops is to be usable on the go and not to be tethered down to one place, yet gaming hardware, namely the GPU is far too power hungry for a laptop battery so it needs to be plugged in or it will drain in like an hour, maybe even less....
Thanks guys for all the help, but I have switched to the GTX 1060 it even says it in overwatch Video card : GTX 1060... Appreciate all the help :D
09/27/2017 04:08 AMPosted by Steveck
09/27/2017 03:37 AMPosted by hanwings
My laptop specs are :
I7 7700HQ
GTX 1060
256 GB PCIE SSD
1TB HDD

Go to geforce experience, it should be in options. "Battery Saver: OFF"

Thanks Steveck but I have already done that
09/27/2017 04:16 AMPosted by gobSIDES
Yes I'm surprised most people don't know this who seem to buy 'gaming' laptops...

The product itself is almost oxymoronic. I mean the purpose of laptops is to be usable on the go and not to be tethered down to one place, yet gaming hardware, namely the GPU is far too power hungry for a laptop battery so it needs to be plugged in or it will drain in like an hour, maybe even less....

But they are still usable on the go.

There are some benefits in a gaming laptop. You can easily change your gaming place over the house, travel and bring your games with you with easy and the most important, it does whatever any other notebook o desktop can do with a lot less cables plugged on it. Of course you cannot keep playing for even 2h on the battery, but with a desktop you can play nowhere else that it's not a proper table.
09/27/2017 04:49 AMPosted by hanwings
Thanks guys for all the help, but I have switched to the GTX 1060 it even says it in overwatch Video card : GTX 1060... Appreciate all the help :D
Hi man, how did u do that? i have same problem than you!