New Guardian Angel Mechanics on PTR

PTR Feedback
PTR Mercy has a new mechanic on Guardian Angel that is quit interesting (youtube video explaining/demonstrating below). It allows you to jump out of GA and then maintain the GA momentum until you either touch the ground, or ~2 seconds passes. (https://gfycat.com/BasicLiquidCranefly) Before this time, GA does NOT go on cooldown. This allows you to do a much more tame version of the "slingshot" technique from last patch. I believe this was intentionally added. However, there are other aspects that appear to be bugs.

1. If you jump out of GA, and let go of shift, the ability will not go on cooldown and you are able to recast it before landing, like so: https://gfycat.com/HarmfulFirstEstuarinecrocodile

2. If you jump out of GA with downwards momentum, you will bounce into the air. Like So https://gfycat.com/ConventionalSeveralHyracotherium

3. If you do the Jank Dash (walk backwards while holding shift, you will shake back and forth) and jump out at the perfect moment, you can sling shot in crazy ways. (https://gfycat.com/SilverMammothArthropods)

Now, those 3 examples are pretty clearly bugs, so let's report them and move on with the discussion. Let's pretend everything was working as intended, and all you are able to do is jump out of GA to do a nerfed more limited version of the slingshot from last patch. I, personally, am very happy with that. I am really glad blizzard is(?) trying to actually give mercy players fun movement tools to work with. I would personally like to see it a little stronger and more versatile with a higher skill cap, like, for instance, being able to use that jump to change trajectory. I would happily see other nerfs to compensate.

(Vid, as mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ASox9XJmc)
People will say it's OP and unfair that a bug got turned into a mechanic, and they're probably right, and I'd be in favor of ledge grab being turned into a mechanic as well, but old GA can actually hurt more than help with how she comes to a dead stop and loses all momentum, not when she reaches the same spot as her target, but before. Made getting behind cover to escape a D.Va bomb nearly impossible.

Plus I hate how I'll fly clean through a giant gap with GA, but Mercy will still come to a dead stop as if she's colliding with a wall. It's Superman 64 levels of wall hit detection.
Also I think its a bug, but you cant use this new mechanic at all when you have toggle GA turned off. Which is a shame because I use that setting and thus cant slingshot :(
10/11/2017 10:01 AMPosted by Stavros
Also I think its a bug, but you cant use this new mechanic at all when you have toggle GA turned off. Which is a shame because I use that setting and thus cant slingshot :(

Not true, it works just fine with toggle GA turned off. In fact, turning it ON makes bug 1 not work. If you have toggle GA on, no matter what you do, the icon will stay orange and you will not be able to re-cast it. However, you can still preform every other aspect I mentioned.
https://gfycat.com/AngryCautiousGander
10/11/2017 10:01 AMPosted by Stavros

Are you sure? I seem to be able to do it and I play with toggle GA off. I just tried now.

First one actually seems like it might be intended if they want to retain her ability to slingshot - I'm 50-50 on it. Reason I think this is because her GA always goes on CD on the second use. I think this might be building in the "GA in, res, GA out" movement into her kit formally. But I'm not sure.

I'm 99% sure the other two are unintended though.
Huh. So then why was I unable to do it with one setting but did it with the other one? Weird
To be fair it might need more key presses or something like that, but I could replicate all three highlighted issues in the OP with my settings. The third one took a bit of work and its not consistent unless you get the timing of the jump spot-on, but they're all doable.
10/11/2017 10:23 AMPosted by Stavros
Huh. So then why was I unable to do it with one setting but did it with the other one? Weird

You have to hit space BEFORE releasing the shift key when using Toggle GA: off
This is great, thanks for this post.

I've worked through these bugs and we will hopefully get a new build up later today to take a look at. Thanks for checking this out and giving feedback!
Mm. I was hoping point 1 wasn't a bug, as it's a bit of fun and only works in a narrow(ish) window. But, not too surprising if it is I suppose. Will see in the next build.
10/11/2017 11:52 AMPosted by Geoff Goodman

I've worked through these bugs and we will hopefully get a new build up later today to take a look at. Thanks for checking this out and giving feedback!

Wait, which parts are the bugs and which changes were intentional?

I just wish we had some sort of notes, about these patches. So we'd know what was supposed to have changed.
10/11/2017 11:58 AMPosted by FEF

Wait, which parts are the bugs and which changes were intentional?

I just wish we had some sort of notes, about these patches. So we'd know what was supposed to have changed.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759218114#post-7
I hope first change is intentional because rez doesn't reset GA cd anymore. At least with some practice we can still get in and out
10/11/2017 09:44 AMPosted by Foo

2. If you jump out of GA with downwards momentum, you will bounce into the air. Like So

It's very noticeable, and feels very weird when you're flying high up in the air because there was an ally lower than you.
Still can pharahmercy ?
Oh wow, I wasn't even aware of this ability. It doesn't seem to work if GA is set to hold? Unless I'm doing something wrong, I can only get it to activate if GA is set to toggle.

Edit: Ok, I figured out how to get it to activate. I have to hold space, not just press space. I thought it was press space because... I don't know why exactly. Holding it works though.

This is real neat though. I'm glad the functionality of the momentum bug is being added back in.

Thanks for the reply! I look forward to testing and playing around with the final version and taking it to it's absolute limits. I would also like to emphasize that I am very grateful this effort is being made. As a support main, it has felt like the game has been slowly regressing when it comes to our quality of life and agency in the game. As more and more support mechanics/tools were outright removed instead of reworked, I became frustrated and started losing hope.

However, the way you guys quickly started testing mechanics after mercy players expressed their love for the slingshot mechanics inspires faith in me. It's a long road to fix the various problems support players are facing, but I will be happy so long as steps continue to be taken. I will continue to provide my thoughts and feedback/suggestions for improving the enjoyment and quality of life for supports without sacrificing balance and other role's fun.
10/11/2017 01:37 PMPosted by Foo

Thanks for the reply! I look forward to testing and playing around with the final version and taking it to it's absolute limits. I would also like to emphasize that I am very grateful this effort is being made. As a support main, it has felt like the game has been slowly regressing when it comes to our quality of life and agency in the game. As more and more support mechanics/tools were outright removed instead of reworked, I became frustrated and started losing hope.

However, the way you guys quickly started testing mechanics after mercy players expressed their love for the slingshot mechanics inspires faith in me. It's a long road to fix the various problems support players are facing, but I will be happy so long as steps continue to be taken. I will continue to provide my thoughts and feedback/suggestions for improving the enjoyment and quality of life for supports without sacrificing balance and other role's fun.

I'm not going to lie, this sounds quite a lot like Stockholm Syndrome to me.
10/11/2017 01:48 PMPosted by McNeo
10/11/2017 01:37 PMPosted by Foo

I'm not going to lie, this sounds quite a lot like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

It's a video game, lighten up lol. I do not have Stockholm Syndrome or anything similar. It's a matter of feedback. It's no secret that blizzard generally gets terrible feedback from PTR on the game from the game's most ignorant and hot headed players. If you look at the feedback blizzard received from PTR on the initial dva rework (400 armor 200 hp dva), hook 2.0, and new Mercy, it's obvious that the community gives very poor feedback from PTR. All three of those changes caused their players to complain that the updated character was useless and unplayable, and all 3 characters were considered the best in the entire game shortly after hitting live.

I am just trying to show that not all support players who are experiencing problems with the game and issues with support play are entitled brats who will never be happy, and that there are people who will actually give positive feedback to blizzard when they are taking steps in the right direction, rather than only when they see everything as perfect.

Do I think this new slingshot change fixes everything? No. It's still a problem how little feedback is given to support players (e.g. Discord Orb damage not being tracked nor giving hitmarkers, Lucio losing his movement, Ana rifle turning into a pea shooter and the game treating all healing equally, rather than giving more positive feedback for healing targets that would have died without it. We also are sitting at 4 healers and 14 DPS heroes a

However, I feel telling blizzard they did a good job making a step towards solving these problems will hopefully encourage blizzard to continue making steps. As has been stated in a previous blue post, most devs are afraid to browse or post on the forums because of the sheer hostility being showcased. If they throw us a bone, and we bite them for it, chances are that's the last bone they'll throw us.
Ad1. Chaining is not a bug, it's a feature.

Ad2. I'd rather be able to get myself airborne from the ground for a moment than maintain the flight indefinitely. There is something fun about it, sure, it's maybe even more fun than Valkyrie flight, because it takes some tiny shade of skill. Could take much more though and perhaps then it wouldn't be like Mercy always bounces off the ceiling/skybox instead of jumping on the ground as usual... And bouncing off the skybox breaks immersion.

Ad3. Awesome thing here is the sheer fact that backwards momentum impacts the way the trick works in some way. I love the added depth.

Being able to slingshot backwards in specific sounds great too. Having said that - it looks buggy on your gif.