A message to blizzard developers (constructive criticism)

General Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
Highly Rated
Bracing myself to get a lot of downvotes. On these forums people always suggest changes to some heroes, most(myself too) do not have the expertise and the in-depth knowledge like the pro players have who play OW for a living, investing copious amounts of time into each class & know their weaknesses inside out. That's how the meta is determined. Pls consider pro player's advices before changing any hero. Similarly, pls favor those heroes which require extensive time & effort to master like ana. This way players who are serious & invest time in honing themselves outside of qp and comp will be rewarded more
09/19/2017 09:16 AMPosted by blameitonme
Bracing myself to get a lot of downvotes. On these forums people always suggest changes to some heroes, most(myself too) do not have the expertise and the in-depth knowledge like the pro players have who play OW for a living, investing copious amounts of time into each class & know their weaknesses inside out. That's how the meta is determined. Pls consider pro player's advices before changing any hero. Similarly, pls favor those heroes which require extensive time & effort to master like ana. This way players who are serious & invest time in honing themselves outside of qp and comp will be rewarded more

why downvotes? this is pretty good :P
You're saying two conflicting things, the first being listen to the pros about balance. Okay so you listen to the pros now, and Tracer is laughably broken at the professional level. Secondly, and I'm paraphrasing here, but prefer characters who take a lot of time to master.

It may take you a very long time to get to utilizing the upper 90% of "potential" out of Tracer's kit but that doesn't change how rediculously broken it is as a whole.

Lastly you mention Ana, who actually can be highly effective if you put the hours in, but is utterly unrewarding to play elsewise.

If you are asking for an Ana buff, you kind of start going against poijnt #1 which is to say, at the pro scene Ana is, while maybe a little unreliable, but still at an "Ok-ish" spot.
While I agree with you, the issues that arise when you do this is bias. The favorite heroes of the pro scene get the most work, ignoring heroes who may need it more. Further some pro players may use this to try and manipulate nerfs to heroes they simply don't like. Not ones who actually need it. It had happened before on TF2.

So yes, consider pro players advice, as they do have a lot of experience. However please don't let it be he only advice. Look at things from a logical stand point. Compare how people have reacted in the past and try and gauge how people will react in the future. Look at the numbers of heroes before you change them. And most importantly, don't use only this forum. This forum does have a very vocal fanbase who believe the game should be run a certain way, and several heroes need to be nerfed and they refuse to listen to reason. Check other OW forums like Reddit. Compare ideas and opinions.

We think all feedback is valid (even if we don't necessarily agree with it all). Pro players definitely do have an influence on our decision-making. We have a regular conference call with pro players to discuss their thoughts on the balance of the game. Also, I've extended my email address to many of the pro players I've met over the years and some of them are really great at writing up their thoughts and sharing them with me and the OW team. The Pros also have a discord channel where some of our developers and support folks hang out to gather feedback. We also get a great report from our esports team that gathers feedback directly from the pro community. So all pros should know that they have a direct line to providing feedback to the OW team and we take it very seriously.

But I don't think any of that should discount the feedback of other non-pro players. Every voice matters...
Oh WOW! That was quick! And now, prepare for the thread to go wild! Good job @blameitonme.

09/19/2017 09:29 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

We think all feedback is valid (even if we don't necessarily agree with it all). Pro players definitely do have an influence on our decision-making. We have a regular conference call with pro players to discuss their thoughts on the balance of the game. Also, I've extended my email address to many of the pro players I've met over the years and some of them are really great at writing up their thoughts and sharing them with me and the OW team. The Pros also have a discord channel where some of our developers and support folks hang out to gather feedback. We also get a great report from our esports team that gathers feedback directly from the pro community. So all pros should know that they have a direct line to providing feedback to the OW team and we take it very seriously.

But I don't think any of that should discount the feedback of other non-pro players. Every voice matters...
Semi-agree with this post. In particular, Junkrat would be a good example. Players that were willing to take the time to learn his kit were already viable. Blizzard listened to the vocal majority of casuals and buffed him, now the skilled players are absolutely ludicrous in using his kit while casuals are now decent. That said, it is not always best for them to solely listen to the "pro" players because some kits are a bit under average but the natural skill of some of these players can make even an under average kit seem godlike. If Blizzard were to refer only to look at this spectrum of players, then they would have to rebalance heroes based on high-tier coordination and exploiting hard to use functions of a kit to make them less deadly, or they would just not touch the hero at all because they are already viable in the hands of that pro player. Meanwhile, the casual spectrum cannot use them effectively and will seldom play the hero due to their very high skill floor.

An example of this would be Sombra, Doomfist or Widow. Average Sombras are very underwhelming and at surface level need a buff of some sort. Pro Sombras can supplement as a healer/support, provide crowd control and can set up for insane ult wipes while serving as a backline harasser. Doomfist has solid pick potential with the right coordination and awareness, but your average player dives in and dies frequently without communicating. Widow is obvious. Skilled players can pop headshots like pez candy while your average player scrambles to even land a body shot.

So yes it can be beneficial to pick the brain of a high-tier main on where a kit can be exploited and where it has glaring flaws, but the end-all be-all of a kit's balance should not fall on the voice of a pro player or you would isolate the larger population from enjoying the hero's kit.

Every DPS players voice matters*
Oh no Somebody hacked Jeff's account. Somebody report him.
09/19/2017 09:31 AMPosted by Solitude

Every DPS players voice matters*

Way to misconstrue what he said.

Can I get a link to the discord channel? I'm gold pro Genji main /s
09/19/2017 09:32 AMPosted by Fireboy769
Oh no Somebody hacked Jeff's account. Somebody report him.

I was gonna say, that post by Jeff looks slightly unbelievable...and by slightly, I mean "very".
JEFF BUFF SYMMETRA PLEASE

Despite the amount of hate this post is going to generate, I actually really appreciate the fact that you're willing to communicate in such a way with some of the top players. I think that's pretty cool. Just please remember that the majority of your playerbase is not of the pro level, never will be, and honestly has no aspirations for it. We just wanna enjoy the game as much as we can.

#CasualLivesMatter

As long as you don't discount our opinions then there is nothing for us to be worried about.

However, only time will tell in the end. Nevertheless, it is a relief seeing such words from an important figure of this game.
Every voice matters...

Somehow... I can see the chaos enveloping that quote...

Brrrrrrr.....
Highly Rated
Every voice matters, except everyone on the forums hate DVA and Mercy changes. Yeah screw them
Every voice matters...

jeff you have a beautiful beard and I think you should grow it out
Every voice matters...

Then do something with genji's deflect size/animation. The disconnect between the two is insane.

1: https://streamable.com/axyut
2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXu4K-TF_lw
3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lCvpu1Fiqc
4: http://i.imgur.com/djxXZxA.jpg
5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcrzIlZfNU

How is this okay?