Magic Triangle of Tank/Support/DPS

General Discussion
Regarding threads I've found in this forum regarding DPS is op and support is underwhelming in comparison I would like to share my view of balance.

To each their role:
Tanks soak up or neglect damage.
Supports restore damage dealt or amplify damage output.
DPS deals damage.

Supports in their current state are the balance between tanks and DPS as they can heal or increase dmg output.
Yes even Lucio! Speedboost will help your DPS do their job and therefore increase your teams dmg output.

If supports are tuned to either way or the other, DPS overwhelm tanks or vice versa. We witnessed that with the triple tank Ana meta and the opposite being the dive meta, which sometimes had only a Winston and 3 DPS supported by Lucio and Zen. The shift in meta was not based on changes to DPS or tanks, but on changes to supports. All changes to dps or tanks only led to changes within their lineup, but they never led to real meta changes.

In my opinion the basis of discussion is:
Do we want a fast momentum based game?
Or do we want a slow and tactical game?
Or isn't it a choice at all and we can get the best of both worlds?

I think Blizzard intends the latter.
Blizzard's first mistake was trying to make a Shooter into World of Warcraft. TeamFortress2 was all about team work, but you didn't have barriers and !@#$ flying around, you had characters with abilities that favored different play styles working together.

Who makes a shooter and says "And this character's deal is he puts of a shield and can do nothing else"
I don't really think it was a mistake, but a huge success.

Problem being the WoW part is heavily sustain biased.
That's why we have a guy with a huge barrier whose primary role is to soak up as much damage as possible.

The shooter part normally has kills in seconds.
Like in CS, 1hs from any range and your dead.

I like the idea of having heroes which can contribute differently to teamfights.
Sombra is a prime example of it, being able to sneak in and disable a target and get out safely to create an advantage.
10/05/2017 05:02 AMPosted by ŜŦǝǺƘ
In my opinion the basis of discussion is:
Do we want a fast momentum based game?
Or do we want a slow and tactical game?
Or isn't it a choice at all and we can get the best of both worlds?

Fun to play, or fun to watch? There's the e-sports scene to consider. Is Rainbow six more fun to watch than Quake Arena? Games can be fun either way, but the developer has the ability to steer the game in the direction they want it to be.