Game now spamming ads for e-sports?

General Discussion
11/02/2017 05:36 PMPosted by Guffrey
And there are a whole lot more people that don't care rather than people who do care.
This is the worst argument against something that I've ever heard.
11/02/2017 05:36 PMPosted by Guffrey
11/02/2017 05:32 PMPosted by Roflmeow

What tickets? I say again: People are not buying Blizzcon tickets to watch the OW world cup exclusively and the streams are 100% free, so what freaking tickets are you talking about?

And "No one cares about it" is a pretty damn broad range statement when obviously plenty of people do care.

Maybe it's not tickets, but it is streams, which they do get paid for by sponsors. Spamming ads for their eSport is them trying to get as many streams as possible, which may not be a bad thing, but is definitely annoying as sin and kind of pathetic.

And there are a whole lot more people that don't care rather than people who do care.

Baseless statement, you have zero information as to people who care vs. people who don't. I can't say more people care because NO ONE KNOWS.

And its not even spamming, it's a splash screen for the weekend saying "Hey OW WC is here!" and one popup the first time you log in. Most websites have more annoying ads (and they've started getting through blockers)
If you don't care for esports, you're going to start the game, hit play and then hit the same mode you always do, like you've always done. You're going to ignore the menu and the background like you've always done, regardless of whether there's a Twitch link in the corner. Don't act as if you're missing out on some kind of real value right now, it's absurd.
11/02/2017 05:41 PMPosted by Piranhaconda
If you don't care for esports, you're going to start the game, hit play and then hit the same mode you always do, like you've always done. You're going to ignore the menu and the background like you've always done, regardless of whether there's a Twitch link in the corner. Don't act as if you're missing out on some kind of real value right now, it's absurd.
That's clearly false. If you TRULY don't care you immediately stop everything you were doing, rush to the forums, hit the big orange new topic button and start typing "Game now spamming..."

/sarcasm
It's the World Cup. Of course they would. They should, if they have any sense.
11/02/2017 05:44 PMPosted by Quest
11/02/2017 05:41 PMPosted by Piranhaconda
That's clearly false. If you TRULY don't care you immediately stop everything you were doing, rush to the forums, hit the big orange new topic button and start typing "Game now spamming..."

/sarcasm

That is honestly so true it hurts.... It's not gameplay related, it's gone after the weekend most likely, and it hurts literally no one but lets complain.
You make it sound like Blizzard is the only one to advertise their stuff on their own products.

11/02/2017 05:47 PMPosted by Roflmeow
That is honestly so true it hurts.... It's not gameplay related, it's gone after the weekend most likely, and it hurts literally no one but lets complain.

That's the forums for ya man, they gotta complain about everything and then get their feelings hurt because Blizzard doesn't acknowledge the hateful and whiny threads.
Starting every March or so you fire up DoTA and see advertisements for the Compendium. I, like most of the user base, have zero interest in Overwatch League but I fully expect for Blizzard to promote it on its own servers. Not a big deal.
You realize that Blizzard is heavily invested into Overwatch e-sports right? The WC prize pool is over $300k, but that doesn’t even compare to OWL, which is worth millions. They need Overwatch to be popular as an e-sport.

Also, this is absurdly easy to ignore? Getting so worked up about this is kind of like walking into a library getting mad that there are books. If you’re not interested, cool! Fine. Ignore it and move on.
11/02/2017 05:48 PMPosted by Seefer
You make it sound like Blizzard is the only one to advertise their stuff on their own products.

11/02/2017 05:47 PMPosted by Roflmeow

That's the forums for ya man, they gotta complain about everything and then get their feelings hurt because Blizzard doesn't acknowledge the hateful and whiny threads.

No other games have ever put in ads for their own esports stuff ever!
- RL? - Nah man they don't do that
- PUBG? - Nah they're not esports ready
- CS? Nope never happened they didn't even put in new stickers for teams
- Dota? Nope doubt they'll do it
/s
11/02/2017 05:29 PMPosted by MrMerdur
11/02/2017 05:28 PMPosted by ILUV2CP
one of the biggest complaints were that people who do want to watch didn't know where to look.

this helps them find it easily, and it doesn't pop up, it's just one button on the bottom left.

Isn't that what the crap on the launcher is for?
some people play ow on consoles and there's no launcher on consoles
11/02/2017 05:57 PMPosted by SertanejoRai
11/02/2017 05:29 PMPosted by MrMerdur

Isn't that what the crap on the launcher is for?
some people play ow on consoles and there's no launcher on consoles

There is less freedom to make patches on console
11/02/2017 05:53 PMPosted by Spicybread
Also, this is absurdly easy to ignore? Getting so worked up about this is kind of like walking into a library getting mad that there are books. If you’re not interested, cool! Fine. Ignore it and move on.
Nah it's more like walking into a library and seeing one book that you don't like and getting angry over it.It's absurd how much people are over-reacting to something so minor.
I love it and all I can say is get use to it!

OWL hasn't even launched yet <3
11/02/2017 05:32 PMPosted by Roflmeow
And "No one cares about it" is a pretty damn broad range statement when obviously plenty of people do care.

Plenty of people cared about Starcraft 2 pro-scene (I did).

And that game was built specifically to replace Starcraft 1 (and its mammoth pro-scene, which Blizzard was not seeing a cent of).

Didn't last.
What harm does it do?

I don't care much for the Esports myself but advertising something as big as their World Cup doesn't affect me in any way, but it does inform those who are more interested, as well as potentially introducing people who had no idea it was even a thing.
holy !@#$ the complaining never ends. Go play a different game if you don't like it. A lot of us want the game to have a vibrant competitive esports scene. There are plenty of games, including other Blizzard titles with no esports scenes at all. Go play those.
11/02/2017 06:22 PMPosted by Generation1
holy !@#$ the complaining never ends. Go play a different game if you don't like it. A lot of us want the game to have a vibrant competitive esports scene. There are plenty of games, including other Blizzard titles with no esports scenes at all. Go play those.

*complains about complaining about complaining*
My god at the useless !@#$ people complain about.
11/02/2017 05:55 PMPosted by Putty
11/02/2017 05:48 PMPosted by Seefer

No other games have ever put in ads for their own esports stuff ever!
- RL? - Nah man they don't do that
- PUBG? - Nah they're not esports ready
- CS? Nope never happened they didn't even put in new stickers for teams
- Dota? Nope doubt they'll do it
/s

So you are going to tell me those games never had a popup telling you to buy something? I doubt that very likely (btw PUBG is a brand new game).