Please do something about players trapped in Bronze

Competitive Discussion
Hi there,

I'm sure most of you reading this will have heard of a little thing called Overwatch Bronze, the sub-1500SR portion of Overwatch's Competitive gamemode. Here's the problem; those of us unfortunate enough to be trapped in Bronze are stuck with the throwers. The leavers. The trolls.

And while I'm sure that, to an outside spectator, this juvenile rank would seem very easy to climb out of, it's much harder to carry a team that, frankly, won't get in voice chat, won't get on the point, won't play offense heroes on attack, won't play healers, et cetera.

Now believe me; me and many other Bronze players I know have tried to take these matters into our own hands and refine our game and improve our skills. I've made it my business to be very flexible to play whatever necessary class my team decides not to; I can go Reaper, Bastion, and Mercy, Junkrat. And while I'm not a master of any, I'm sort of a Jack of All trades.

There have been numerous occasions where I, say, Resurrected more than 30% of team deaths. Or Got more than 40% kill participation. I'm constantly trying to be a team leader, to work with my team and be positive. But it's very hard when these people seem to care about nothing than dragging other people down.

I know this thread is sort of ranty. But Please, Blizzard, do something about the players trapped in Bronze. I know that, given decent team mates, I could win a lot more games and have a lot more fun playing. But right now there's hardly a way out of Bronze and it's ruining it for the people actually trying.
try to form a group where you have someone to cover each role effectively and you'll be able to overcome the throwers and stuff most of the time. that's honestly how I've avoided bad games in every SR and I've been gold in season 2 and diamond season 3 and than masters for the rest and trust me there's always throwers especially in solo q. But I initially climbed to diamond by grouping up and from there soloing was atleast better.
Play every role
Practice aiming, positioning (stop overexgending is #1), positive attitude

You can easily carry yourself out of bronze with almost any hero, except mercy. Mercy relies on her team to be not terrible.
silver and gold are not much different man...
10/01/2017 08:12 PMPosted by ClassyOwl
it's much harder to carry a team that

Maybe you can't get out because you honestly believe that you need to carry your team...

Keep in mind that statistically, the enemy team has the same (if not less) amount of throwers, trolls, and leavers. You can blame individual losses on your team, but you can't blame your rank on your teams. If you were playing well, your SR gains would make up for your losses.

If you're serious about getting better, record your gameplay and submit it to a VOD reviewer or FlowFeedback.
Leaving game soon. Stuck bronze ... maybe Blizzard doesn't encourage replay.
10/01/2017 09:22 PMPosted by AMEN

I will add low plat to that
The only difference between bronze and gold is aim and sometimes positioning.

Real bronze players don't make headshots. Silver players make some headshots. Golds make slightly more. Doing well doesn't always turn into wins.

You have to play on the same level as a gold to get out of bronze.
I just pulled two accounts out of bronze and I can tell you that the difference between 1000 and 1300 is night and day. It's literally 10 times harder below the 1000 range than 1300 area and it keeps getting better as you go higher.

Put 400 points last play session on my fiancee's account and just put about another 300 today.

EASIER at higher ranks.

Secondly, playing duo with a partner who the system has decided belongs in bronze is not going to help, even if they are a good player. If they are a new account, you'll be okay but if it's an old account and you didn't play hard and long enough in previous seasons (IE played like 30 games and gave up) you're super-boned by the system.

Just played with a friend who started a new account and though we were 6 points apart he got around 70 points for the same game I got around 20. I had play of the game and 4 gold medals.

And my stats and consistently top 30% or better on Junkrat (so it's not personal statistics...it's MMR getting stuck because of more old crap data)

https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/SumNakdChick-1285
https://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/SumNakdDude-1275
10/01/2017 08:12 PMPosted by ClassyOwl
won't play offense heroes on attack

This makes your post a bit silly, sorry to say. I looked at your profile and you seem to play very little and it looks like your game knowledge needs improvement. Both the defense and offense heroes are damage dealers and you can play successfully all of them both on attack and defense. Yes, even an attack Torbjörn can win games, no matter how silly it looks.

What I suggest that you accept the fact that you are a bronze player. You should play significantly more and you should only focus on nothing but yourself. Try to identify a few heroes you like to play and only play those. You can climb basically with any character as long as you do your job in the game. So if you are a tank, you need to protect your team and create space for your damage dealers. If you are support, you need consistently outheal your opponent's supports, you need to make better callouts then your opponent and you should make sure that the team moral is flawless. If you are a damage dealer, you need the correct target priority and you need to kill faster than the opponent damage dealers. If you can consistently do that, you will going to climb. Yes, there will be bad games along the road, there will be idiots and throwers on your team, but you can overcome those by looking at yourself and improving constantly. Be your biggest critique and learn something from every game.

Blizzard will not get you out from bronze, only you can do it. Good luck on your journey.
10/02/2017 01:11 AMPosted by DaSquyd

Keep in mind that statistically, the enemy team has the same (if not less) amount of throwers, trolls, and leavers. You can blame individual losses on your team, but you can't blame your rank on your teams. If you were playing well, your SR gains would make up for your losses.

Statistically, that's only true over an infinite amount of games. IRL, you might have ten games in a row with all the throwers, trolls, and leavers on your team.
40% kill participation is pretty low. If you're carrying hard get over 60%.

^

So far in my season its been mostly people who give up on the second half...
Have you tried Left clicking with your face? Got me from bronze to plat in just a handful of games that way!
10/02/2017 09:39 AMPosted by Mindaika

Statistically, that's only true over an infinite amount of games. IRL, you might have ten games in a row with all the throwers, trolls, and leavers on your team.

having attempted to learn widow when my skill was mid silver and fallen all the way to 700 sr, i know a bit about brozen, and this isn't really true. get good enough to win the first fight of the game 70% of the time. enemy team will gg most of the time. same thing happens to bronze players when they lose, after they decide they can't win, people leave. and they do it a lot more in bronze than other ranks.

it's hell, but just remember, don't worry too much about score for about 30 hrs..just focus on improving your game and kda and ability to carry that first fight regularly.

if people leave, focus on practicing ways to get kills when down a man.

the good thing is once you get good enough to win the majority of those first fights, people will be leaving on the enemy team more often, and you will climb very very fast.. when i got out 800, i went straight to 1300 in about a day or two.. then got stuck for a while for a week or two (20-30 hrs) then was gold.

bronze is hell, but there is a solution. don't play ranked and just go play quickplay for about 30-50 hrs on one char, and you will probably improve enough to get out of bronze in a day.

and you can leave instead of being stuck in a 5v6, so i really recommend this, though i didn't use quickplay back then, i do now.
10/02/2017 09:39 AMPosted by Mindaika

If you're only playing 10 games in the season, statistics can't help you. Try playing at least 20 games per day or you won't see improvement.
"Hey Blizzard, please do something about my own personal inability to climb out of the worst tier in the game. It's totally not my own responsibility to get better at the game!"
Yep last season I was on a winning streak, got all the way up to high silver, and then every game I played from there was with either a leaver, troller and thrower, and I dropped down to 1555 sr. This season I was placed at 1750 sr, and climbed to 1980, and then it started again with the leavers and throwers, and now I’m mid 1800’s I wish they just put in a simple was to gain sr, like you will ALWAYS earn more than you lose (except it you get 3 kills in a game) because in games, I will earn a couple less then I win, Making it extremely hard to climb as if I win-lose-win-lose, I will end up with less than what I started with
you can't be stuck in bronze forever if you are improving. 2 seasons ago i was at 1312. progress is slow but sort of steady, frankly i am not even sure i would want to get above gold
10/01/2017 08:18 PMPosted by ClumsyGenji
try to form a group where you have someone to cover each role effectively and you'll be able to overcome the throwers and stuff most of the time. that's honestly how I've avoided bad games in every SR and I've been gold in season 2 and diamond season 3 and than masters for the rest and trust me there's always throwers especially in solo q. But I initially climbed to diamond by grouping up and from there soloing was atleast better.

this is basically the answer

most people want to deny it or say "blizzard's matchmaking SR system sucks" and yeah it does, but honestly you have to deal with what you can change.

what you can change are the teammates you are matched with. at plat and below, 4-stacking is perfectly fine and your games will look a lot more like proper overwatch