Mercy's Momentium Trick

PTR Feedback
Please don't alter this mercy momentum trick or try to make it a fancy ability , it's absolutely fine as it and it requires some mechanical skill to pull off . The momentum only kicks in if mid air without any conditions , but on the ground it requires certain conditions in order to give that momentum: such as not having jumped prior to pressing shift firstly, then once you are mid shift hold space and then press shift again and you happily bounce of the floor like a bunny c: and end up past your guardian angel target, sometimes your team is just barely behind a wall but when you shift to them without canceling and using the momentum trick you stop just before you reach them leaving you out in the open to be shot . The way you described the issue was as if people couldn't control the guardian angel , if they press shift while over say the pit in illios it's a novice mistake , it's the same as jumping with winston without understanding how his jump works and ending up in the pit. The momentum problem shouldn't be changed for guardian angel but there is an issue when say a pharah , winston or lucio boops you while you are holding space you will fly to the edge of the map in almost an instant. I'd love it if you kept the guardian angel bug because it requires skill to pull off on the floor, mby alter the momentum when you are in the sky because depending on your height you can fly real fast for very long, but I think the real issue is being slapped by winston while holding space and being shot in to a neighboring city because the mercy held the jump button mid slap.
It is NOT ok when the Roadhog ult pushes you all the way across the map, or the Pharah boops you 100 feet farther than the nearest teammates.

They are rare, yes, but they do happen. I want those fixed.

Also its much easier to bug test actual features opposed to bugs left in the game on purpose. It will be much better moving forward.
10/05/2017 05:12 PMPosted by Kryptsm
It is NOT ok when the Roadhog ult pushes you all the way across the map, or the Pharah boops you 100 feet farther than the nearest teammates.

Yes this is part of the problem with the way it was working (as a bug). Since it was removing all of your air resistance, if you got pushed while you were in the air you got knocked way too far etc.

Hopefully we can find a solution that gives similar functionality to what was there without all the side effects of just leaving a bug in the game.
This thread just blew my mind.

Ty Geoff.

Is this real rn?
Thanks for the speedy response Geoff. Glad to see you guys do care about us.
10/05/2017 05:15 PMPosted by Geoff Goodman

Yes this is part of the problem with the way it was working (as a bug). Since it was removing all of your air resistance, if you got pushed while you were in the air you got knocked way too far etc.

Hopefully we can find a solution that gives similar functionality to what was there without all the side effects of just leaving a bug in the game.

does this mean you plan to keep the friendly momentum minus the negative momentum caused by enemies?
I've been looking at and using this trick since season 2 and it is a fantastic thing to be able to do. It makes mercy much more mobile and provides her with a new style of play. The two main styles of play for mercy is either in your backline or on a pocket, but this trick (Mercy Dashing as I called it) allowed you to play a much more agro mercy than you could otherwise. Being able to dodge around people and throw out more guardian angels meant that you could play more inside your team and inside the team fight than ever before. Rather than seeing mercy as just someone you would go to for heals or ressurect every now and then, I wanted to maximize her output by playing in her team. Removing the momentum bug removes Mercy Dashing and completely removes a style of mercy reducing her maximum effectiveness. Yes flying off a mile when guardian angeling to a pharah is bad and should be changed, but short ranged Mercy Dashing opens up a whole playstyle to Mercy that makes her more than just a backline healer.

I was just testing the momentum after canceling the guardian angel and it's insanely fast when mid air if mercy had enough height no one could out run her ,the floor momentum is a little over the top but the current ptr momentum feels abysmal, mby a balance between the two for floor momentum
i have zero insight into the game other than my own musings. This seems like it will be very challenging to fix. isnt it the same thing that happens when you perform a similar "trick" with doomfist?
You are a legend Geoff.
Geoff <3 <3

They are rare, yes, but they do happen. I want those fixed.

Also its much easier to bug test actual features opposed to bugs left in the game on purpose. It will be much better moving forward.

While those things CAN be annoying, Mercy has better tools than anyone for recovering from boops like that to begin with, so they really aren't nearly that game breaking. In fact, I find it's more likely to work out in Mercy's favor, with things like enemy Winston jumps pushing Mercy out of his reach without her even needing to GA.
10/05/2017 06:11 PMPosted by Dredsen
i have zero insight into the game other than my own musings. This seems like it will be very challenging to fix. isnt it the same thing that happens when you perform a similar "trick" with doomfist?

Quite similar but doomfist's trick doesn't have the drawback of being able to be slapped across a country
I think To make everyone happy is to add an option for mercy called "Guardian Angel Glide" and on default to have it off. Then for the players who like the New Guardian Angel have it set to the original movement of mercy 2.0.

Also maybe you could make it into a bar to adjust the power of the movement.
10/05/2017 05:57 PMPosted by Aliyavana

does this mean you plan to keep the friendly momentum minus the negative momentum caused by enemies?

I am so ecstatic that they are going to leave this feature in. It makes Mercy so fun to play.

I've seen this idea in another thread, but this seems to be the issue with Mercy's angelic descent and not GA, so maybe the solution would be to somehow bake the same funcionality into GA and make so that angelic descent cannot move mercy faster past a certain velocity, like mercy only keeps momentum after GA.

This needs further testing, but either im bad or the momentum doesnt trigger when the option to end GA with a second "shift" key click is enabled.

WEW LAD healer mobility buffs make my horny!

Seriously though, thanks. I know blue posts are scary because they get blown out of proportion like nuts; but giving us a little acknowledgement that you hear the community liking Mercy's mobility buff/bug and that you're considering possible courses of action is a huge relief!

Maybe because of this community opinion the next healer can actually be mobile (see: genji)? I'd be floored.

I hope your team come up with something. I'm sure many people do not want GA to revert back.

I have found that the simple action of letting go of the space bar (even for split second and pressing it again) would stop the momentum. Its something you have to learn. All you have to do is let go of space. I enjoyed it because its something you have to think about, taking it away feels like dumbing everything down :(