Loot Box giving crazy amount of Duplicates???

General Discussion
My wife's account has been getting 4 duplicates per box like 8 times out of the past 12/13 boxes
and 5 times in a row.
not like 1 or 2 duplicates, actually full loot box of duplicates.

She has tons left to unlock pre Halloween event and many many things to unlock for Halloween event,

Whats going on??? is there a bug or something?
Bad luck
did they revert the buff to not getting duplicates?
I am going to assume you guys play together quite a lot, and are around the same level. If that is true, then you both are probably getting somewhat close to having all the blues/whites that are currently available in the game. Having them all does not increase odds of getting epics/legendaries, but will instead give you a duplicates.

So as far as I know, they did not revert the lootboxes in some stealth patch, it's just getting to the point where players who play regularly are finishing that part of their collection.
ok thanks a lot charxander, yes we do play regularly, she is higher lvl than me. I was just surpised, cause theres lots of Halloween stuff to unlock, legendary skins still and etc and shes getting full dup boxes in a row. but ya must just be crazy rng thanks a lot for the response.
I feel like during the events, your more likely to get duplicates then the actual event items- with the idea being while you haven't gotten anything new, with the money you have gotten you can just get the event items.

as someone who bought overwatch and was getting duplicates during the christmas event (i had very few items since i never had the game prior) i was getting a ton of duplicates. then when playing in downtime between them i never get duplicates.
well they didnt revert the change, we were never guaranteed to not get dupes though, just less likely too, so if she has some of them left to get yet shes just unlucky
plus the way it works is the loot boxes determine first the color of the drop (ie grey, blue, gold pink, event) then itll try to figure out an item for that slot, so if you have all the common items you wont get more rares epics, ect... and for the halloween items i think they also might have a similar loot table as well which isnt influenced by the other items either

so basically its all down to luck unfortunatly
10/28/2017 09:09 AMPosted by djumbreon
I feel like during the events, your more likely to get duplicates then the actual event items- with the idea being while you haven't gotten anything new, with the money you have gotten you can just get the event items.

as someone who bought overwatch and was getting duplicates during the christmas event (i had very few items since i never had the game prior) i was getting a ton of duplicates. then when playing in downtime between them i never get duplicates.

that was way before the lootbox changes unfortunately and back then there was nothing trying to make it so you got less dupes
About halfway through the event, I started getting duplicates and wondered wtf was going on, but then I realized I owned almost all the blue and white event stuff by that point LOL. I think I’m only missing like two player icons and a couple voice lines at this point. Still have a bunch of skins missing of course, but those aren’t common :P
thanks I thought when they buffed it to make less duplicates, actually unlocking stuff gave you a slightly better chance of unlocking the remaining things left, but apparently it doesn't you guys are saying.
10/28/2017 09:16 AMPosted by OldRin
thanks I thought when they buffed it to make less duplicates, actually unlocking stuff gave you a slightly better chance of unlocking the remaining things left, but apparently it doesn't you guys are saying.

well it can give a higher chance of unlocking things of that level, ie getting most greys will probably make it easier to get the other greys, but it doesnt increase the chances of getting more blue, pink and gold drops
10/28/2017 08:37 AMPosted by OldRin
My wife's account has been getting 4 duplicates per box like 8 times out of the past 12/13 boxes
and 5 times in a row.

She has tons left to unlock pre Halloween event and many many things to unlock for Halloween event,

Are these really old lootboxes your wife saved before Summer?
If that is the case - lootboxes are based on when you get them, not when you open them.
10/28/2017 09:19 AMPosted by Shadow
10/28/2017 08:37 AMPosted by OldRin
and 5 times in a row.

Are these really old lootboxes your wife saved before Summer?
If that is the case - lootboxes are based on when you get them, not when you open them.

no my wife loves Halloween irl, and really into the overwatch Halloween event, all Halloween loot boxes earned this week
10/28/2017 09:16 AMPosted by OldRin

I think you're misunderstanding

Lootboxes do indeed prioritize giving you loot you don't have unlocked. It's designed to make duplicates very rare.

However! Loot QUALITY is still RNG. Meaning, for example, if you unlock every 'common' quality item in the game lootboxes won't suddenly stop dropping common quality items. They'll still drop common quality items, but they'll just be duplicates because you unlocked most/all of the common quality items.

But when you do get a rare/epic/legendary it will give you one you haven't unlocked yet because it prioritizes giving you something you haven't unlocked.

Pretending someone unlocked all common (white), rare (blue) and epic (purple) quality items in the game, they won't only get legendary drops and nothing else. They'll still get random quality items, but they'll just be duplicates because they unlocked everything in that quality type. But when they do get a legendary drop it'll give them something they've yet to unlock.
I've been getting a ton of duplicates too. I thought I had just unlocked all the small stuff but I've been seeing a ton of people complaining about the same thing. Kinda wondering if there's something funky going on