Moira Feedback on abilities & playability

PTR Feedback
After playing her for a fair amount of time, I think I got a clue on what i think of her and where she might fit in the game.

Ability rundown and thoughts:

Biotic grasp
Primary fire seems very potent when cast on multiple allies in a group and suffers a lot when trying to heal solo targets. 80hps is powerful, but it doesn't feel good to use because it's very hard to know what you are healing (if at all) because there are no indicators or sound effects like other healers have.
So having some way of knowing your effect in a fight would make it feel much more rewarding to use.

My only worry with the resource meter is, that her abilities and healing get out done by other heroes because of consistency. She cant keep healing teammates against snipers, pharah or anything with long range really because she cant refill the resource meter without exposing herself and probably dying in the process.
Having to wait 45 seconds so you can heal for 9 seconds in a fight can make her really hard to play in many maps in my opinion.

Secondary fire is what is meant to keep the healing going so it should be done almost all the time to keep her worth playing especially as a main healer. The long range makes it pretty safe to use most of the time from behind teammates, up from high ground and so on.
50dps, 21 meter range and healing 33hps makes it really good as a infinite ammo weapon on paper, but in reality the "lock on" mechanic makes it pretty awkward to use. The constant lock on-off stutter even with a steady aim hand feels like you are trying to hold a oiled soap with your feet and trying to put your pants on at the same time, should I say, frustrating? So making the lock on feel better or making it a straight up beam like zaryas weapon might work on my mind.

Biotic orb
Overall feels very good to use, not many problems here healing and damage wise. The only change I would make was that the damage would replenish the healing resource meter, that would make her more reliable to use and the healing more constant. This ability is really fun to use!

Fade
At last, an actual escape ability on a healer that can help me stay alive against those pesky flankers or a dive heroes. Her ability to escape even a graviton is a welcome one for some one like me who likes to play healers (and tanks) and now there is also a healer that can "counter" a grav so to speak.
Personally I like this one too overall and the 6sec cooldown feels good too.

Coalescence
The "under powered" argument is a rushed opinion I think because we haven't seen the full potential in a competitive environment, although it doesn't feel too powerful when trying to kill someone, but I feel the full use comes when you can actually get the ult in every single fight if you manage to heal enough while maybe not dealing fight winning damage, it can potentially negate other ults, but we will see where Blizz goes with this one.
It's not the most rewarding ult to use, but you can spam it very often so we have that going for us, which is nice.

Summa summarum
I think she has much potential, but I fear her abilities still might get overshadowed by other supports because of consistency, but maybe this is where good Moira players will shine? Can't tell yet.

While really fun to play, the awkwardness of the primary heal and damage make her feel unrewarding to use and that soapy feeling is something I hope will get tweaked. While the ultimate is not the most powerful one (false advertising in the introduction video) it still has its uses.

Can't say much else but I will be playing her a lot when she comes out.

Cheers!
11/14/2017 04:23 PMPosted by KappaToast
After playing her for a fair amount of time, I think I got a clue on what i think of her and where she might fit in the game.

Ability rundown and thoughts:

Biotic grasp
Primary fire seems very potent when cast on multiple allies in a group and suffers a lot when trying to heal solo targets. 80hps is powerful, but it doesn't feel good to use because it's very hard to know what you are healing (if at all) because there are no indicators or sound effects like other healers have.
So having some way of knowing your effect in a fight would make it feel much more rewarding to use.

My only worry with the resource meter is, that her abilities and healing get out done by other heroes because of consistency. She cant keep healing teammates against snipers, pharah or anything with long range really because she cant refill the resource meter without exposing herself and probably dying in the process.
Having to wait 45 seconds so you can heal for 9 seconds in a fight can make her really hard to play in many maps in my opinion.

Secondary fire is what is meant to keep the healing going so it should be done almost all the time to keep her worth playing especially as a main healer. The long range makes it pretty safe to use most of the time from behind teammates, up from high ground and so on.
50dps, 21 meter range and healing 33hps makes it really good as a infinite ammo weapon on paper, but in reality the "lock on" mechanic makes it pretty awkward to use. The constant lock on-off stutter even with a steady aim hand feels like you are trying to hold a oiled soap with your feet and trying to put your pants on at the same time, should I say, frustrating? So making the lock on feel better or making it a straight up beam like zaryas weapon might work on my mind.

Biotic orb
Overall feels very good to use, not many problems here healing and damage wise. The only change I would make was that the damage would replenish the healing resource meter, that would make her more reliable to use and the healing more constant. This ability is really fun to use!

Fade
At last, an actual escape ability on a healer that can help me stay alive against those pesky flankers or a dive heroes. Her ability to escape even a graviton is a welcome one for some one like me who likes to play healers (and tanks) and now there is also a healer that can "counter" a grav so to speak.
Personally I like this one too overall and the 6sec cooldown feels good too.

Coalescence
The "under powered" argument is a rushed opinion I think because we haven't seen the full potential in a competitive environment, although it doesn't feel too powerful when trying to kill someone, but I feel the full use comes when you can actually get the ult in every single fight if you manage to heal enough while maybe not dealing fight winning damage, it can potentially negate other ults, but we will see where Blizz goes with this one.
It's not the most rewarding ult to use, but you can spam it very often so we have that going for us, which is nice.

Summa summarum
I think she has much potential, but I fear her abilities still might get overshadowed by other supports because of consistency, but maybe this is where good Moira players will shine? Can't tell yet.

While really fun to play, the awkwardness of the primary heal and damage make her feel unrewarding to use and that soapy feeling is something I hope will get tweaked. While the ultimate is not the most powerful one (false advertising in the introduction video) it still has its uses.

Can't say much else but I will be playing her a lot when she comes out.

Cheers!

Thanks for your analysis. I agree on much of what you said, but luckily her primary heal has been updated recently and now has a sound effect when healing. Visually it is still somewhat vague on who you are healing, but audio-wise it feels much better now.

As for her sustainability, you are correct when saying it takes a while to get used to her healing mechanic. I consider myself at least a decent Moira and I usually don't have any trouble dishing out heals when I need to now that I habitually check to see if I need to build resource with alt-fire. And against snipers, she is going to suffer like every healer mainly because snipers do burst damage and the only counter is a Mercy resurrect and not giving the snipers constant line of sight.

Finally, her alt-fire could potentially be tweaked further but in my opinion it already feels pretty balanced considering it has 3 effects (self-heal, resource building, and hitting through Defense Matrix/Deflect/etc.) If it felt any better it would probably become OP and get nerfed.
I think people will learn to conserve her resource meter much better than they are now.

I think a key point about the resource meter is that Moira does 50 healing over 3 or 4 seconds after she stops using her primary fire on someone.

I think utilizing that will be key to conserving her resource meter effectively. You can just spray someone extremely briefly to top them off, without holding onto the button until they are at full health and wasting a bunch of the resource meter.

If a tank needs to be healed up after a fight, you can't really use the above method, because the heal over time would take too long on a tank with lots of health to heal. But you can throw out a healing orb on them to do a bunch of burst healing.

A combination of the above two methods will avoid using like half your resource meter on healing between fights.

The resource meter should really only be being used for a sustained period of time in order to heal teammates who are actively being damaged in the middle of a fight. Otherwise, use the orb or just do a quick spray to initiate the heal over time.
Relatedly, I think people will learn to use rather controlled aggression with Moira in order to replenish the resource meter.

For instance, you can flank with her a little bit, use the healing orb to sustain yourself for a while while damaging people, and then Fade away the moment it looks like you might be in trouble.

This is actually less dangerous than it sounds, since it's incredibly hard to kill a Moira who is being healed by her healing orb and her leech ability. Even if you're relatively inaccurate with your damage beam, you will get healed an amount that's equivalent to being healed by a Mercy and a Zenyatta at once. So you'll have some real staying power to charge up your healing meter, and then you'll have a fantastic escape to get away safely when things get difficult (which will likely happen soon after your orb is no longer near you, so a good portion of your ability to stay around and replenish your resource meter this way will depend on good healing orb placement).
I'd rather not have her alt-fire be like Zarya's, I feel like the whole point is to have a consistent tool against jumpy enemies such as Genji or Lucio. I know what you mean with the annoying unsticking, but if you treat it like a hitscan weapon, i.e. pay attention to your tracking like with any other weapon, it should work.

Agree with the visuals on healing. Maybe make the healthbar itself (unlike Ana's glow) yellow? With a more faded color for the lingering heal effect. Only the Moira player would see it
The only thing I really want for Moira is Fade greatly increases her jump height.
She needs some vertical mobility to have access to high-grounds.
11/15/2017 02:47 AMPosted by Feculator
I'd rather not have her alt-fire be like Zarya's, I feel like the whole point is to have a consistent tool against jumpy enemies such as Genji or Lucio. I know what you mean with the annoying unsticking, but if you treat it like a hitscan weapon, i.e. pay attention to your tracking like with any other weapon, it should work.

Agree with the visuals on healing. Maybe make the healthbar itself (unlike Ana's glow) yellow? With a more faded color for the lingering heal effect. Only the Moira player would see it

Smart tanks and others will soon take advantage of this... They will stand at a slight angle so your beam locks on them or their shield instead of the target you actually want to hit.

I think damage orb shouldn't charge the resource meter but it would be nice for the ult to charge that resource meter.