Serious rare bug instantly season-bans innocent players

Bug Report
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next
I hope they do take note.

I have had a conversation with my brother tonight. He is an xbox player that has never had a season ban, never had any warning, and cant log into the game at all tonight.
He has found out from customer support that he has been perma banned due to exploits. When he asks what the are incidents/event they are referring to, cs will not give any info....in-fact they where just rude.
I am shocked tbh. I have spent alot of time and money on blizzard games. When my account was hacked in wow they recovered it for me asap. When i have had a issue and asked for assistance on twitter the reply has been prompt and most satisfactory. I am amazed that he can not appeal this ban or at least get info as to why it has happened.
As i am amazed with your situation, it is obvious there is a problem when you lose 600 sr in one match.
I was thinking of getting back into pc Overwatch, but i don't know if I face the same issue in the future with a strange perma ban and ..poooffff.. all my hard earned in game rewards gone ....ouch
This is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth blizzard ...sad times.. I used to recommend your games to all who would listen, gonna be hard now :(
We recently identified a bug that, in extremely rare cases, can cause players to lose their skill rating progress and receive a seasonal ban from Competitive Play without any prior penalties for leaving early or being kicked for inactivity. This bug is a high priority for our team, and we’re working on a fix to prevent further instances of it occurring as we speak.

In the meantime, we’ll be removing the seasonal ban for all players affected by this bug as well as restoring their skill rating. To date, this bug has impacted fewer than 200 accounts, but we’ll continue to monitor for additional occurrences and provide assistance until we can implement a permanent fix. We don’t have an ETA to share right now for when the fix will go live, but we’ll update this thread as soon more information becomes available.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this bug has caused and are grateful for your patience and ongoing reports.
So they finaly take notes for godsake
Thank you so much! I know that course of action is unusual, and I really appreciate it being taken.

While this case is being addressed, I hope there is a lesson taken forward about ways for players to get help about these sorts of issues. I've been posting about this for weeks, and it wasn't until I got lucky enough to get a thread with a lot of momentum on Reddit/youtubers made videos/news sites wrote articles that the issue was able to get visibility and the affected customers were able to be addressed. I realize that there are good reasons to prevent CS from freely refunding SR or changing ban status, but there really needs to be a better escalation path than this.

Rant out of the way, thank you very much for addressing.
09/20/2017 05:30 PMPosted by Chromega
Please hear me out, this isn't about 'normal' disconnection rules or penalties, this is a serious, if rare, bug, that customer support is unable to deal with.

My fiancee hit a bug that lost her 600SR and got an instant full season ban in a single match, along with others in the match as well, no prior disconnects:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758678565

What I want to know is why you even have the ability to appeal suspensions if customer support can't do anything about it. Is it supposed to make us feel better that someone listened? I'll feel better once we can have our game nights again. They've said that they can't lift suspensions, can't view our SR, can't validate our claims. What's the point of even having an appeal? The CS rules in place appear to rule out the possibility that someone would be banned as the result of a legitimate bug on Blizz's end. What can you do if a bug gets you instantly banned?

CS linked us to a forum post that people who disconnect shouldn't play comp at all, which is infuriating since if it was our internet's fault, others in the match wouldn't have been banned as well if it was. And even if it was, a season ban for one disconnect is crazy. What can we do?

I've seen devs swoop into topics before like "actually, THIS is why you were banned!" so I know someone out there has the ability to validate our claims, I'm just really hoping someone sees it and we can play the game we paid for together...

MY REQUEST:
Fixing the bug is hard. Lifting the bans should be easy. Blizzard, please unban these affected accounts, I have some evidence that it's real, and I imagine your internal logs make it even clearer.

EDIT:
Evidence:
https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/spicyhappy-1777?mode=competitive
specifically...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/grju2y5ycw7hcvp/spicy_sr_drop.png?dl=0

Her overbuff competitive stats, as a basic form of evidence. Note her record on the last day she was able to play, she went 2-5 and lost nearly 700SR. That shouldn't be possible under normal circumstances, about 600 of that was from one match. No other disconnects. Looking at that timeframe, it shouldn't be possible to rack up enough disconnects because of incremental suspensions. Honestly, we don't care about the SR, we just want the ban lifted...

I also have a similar graph for the user redandblack whose case I link to below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1u23iib1hca9um/redandblack_ow_record.PNG?dl=0
which is from:
https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/redandblack-1538?mode=competitive

EDIT 2:
Known cases of people getting INSTANTLY BANNED because of joining a bugged match (with hundreds of SR lost to boot)
Spicyhappy lost 600SR and was season-banned:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758678565#post-1

Axesor lost SR and got season-banned (same match as Spicyhappy):
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758678565#post-2

Dave5Gun lost 400SR and was season-banned (lots of other folks in the topic experienced it too in the same match, unclear if they were all banned, but someone else in the match lost 350SR):
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758848061#post-1

wowitsasquit lost 250SR and got a 20 hour ban:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758867927#post-1

redandblack lost 500SR and got season-banned:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758996245#post-1

Slowky lost 600SR and got season-banned
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759286659

It's likely hit a lot of other people too, isn't that enough evidence that this deserves to be looked at? And the bans reverted?

EDIT3:
Just one of the quotes from our CS ticket to show the sort of dead-ends I've been encountering the past few weeks:
"We unfortunately have no information on how or why you were suspended, and we can't even check your rating or how much you lost at the time. I understand you want more information about why it happened, but there isn't anything we can do to escalate this or provide any information"

I'll try and see what I can do, along with the help of some of my buddies.

Resolving the bug issues could be a hassle and takes time, but lifting the unnecessary ridiculous bans that is unfair for those affected by it, moreover losing huge amount of SR under not normal circumstances.

Hope y'all could be heard and seen by Jeff Kaplan on this matter.
09/26/2017 03:35 PMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
We recently identified a bug that, in extremely rare cases, can cause players to lose their skill rating progress and receive a seasonal ban from Competitive Play without any prior penalties for leaving early or being kicked for inactivity. This bug is a high priority for our team, and we’re working on a fix to prevent further instances of it occurring as we speak.

In the meantime, we’ll be removing the seasonal ban for all players affected by this bug as well as restoring their skill rating. To date, this bug has impacted fewer than 200 accounts, but we’ll continue to monitor for additional occurrences and provide assistance until we can implement a permanent fix. We don’t have an ETA to share right now for when the fix will go live, but we’ll update this thread as soon more information becomes available.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this bug has caused and are grateful for your patience and ongoing reports.
I don't even play comp, but thank you!

So nice to see acknowledgement.
I heard this is caused by a "waiting for players" issue at the start of a match. If this is happening at the start of a match, I imagine it's because someone left while the match was loading. The only good reason for this is accidentally clicking competitive mode and having no other way to back out if it finds a game immediately (this happens). Can't there be a confirmation "queue for competitive? " or start like a 5 second countdown before it starts searching for a game?
We recently identified a bug that, in extremely rare cases, can cause players to lose their skill rating progress and receive a seasonal ban from Competitive Play without any prior penalties for leaving early or being kicked for inactivity.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Its great that they are looking at it.

Would be amazing if they looked at this also

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759227025
re: LS-402, people who play nice getting perma ban with no reason given ..so odd.. I would expect at least a reason if no warning..so unlike the Blizzard that I know and have loved for so long .. so much sad face :(

Thank you for hearing us out and taking the time to respond to this situation. I'm glad you realize how frustrating it was to take the correct avenue in getting this resolved.

I personally thank Chromega for putting all these well thought out posts together (here and on Reddit) to get the attention it needed! Great community, if I've learned anything from this ordeal, anything is possible when we work together for justice and just doing the right thing. It feels good. Thanks everyone and thank you Jeff. I hope to have my account fixed/unbanned soon and I'll be waiting patiently for some fun competitive matches in the future!
Thanks Jeff for answering us
Whew I'm so glad there was a official response on this issue.
So ya'll have the technology to restore skill rating and still won't do it when its your servers causing the issues only egregious bugs, got it.

Glad to see the blue post, hope it gets fixed asap.
I'd imagine it has to do with server latency, and if someone were to disconnect when the server just gathered enough players for a game, but instead of cancelling the search, it loops on itself and gets stuck continuously trying to start a game for a set of players, constantly prematurely removing them from the lobby before the shutdown timer even starts and putting them in another game until it realizes you're now banned for the season.

You already know that there is another bug that penalizes players who disconnect from the game due to client crash and can get back to the game on time, even if they win the match?

Can you restore SR in this case too? How do I request a log analysis to resolve my SR loss? Does the company only consider cases that involve few players as worthy of solution while daily players clog forums by reporting smaller but much more frequent cases? How long will we continue to lose SR for problems related to the game client or servers without even being able to request an analysis? Do you use some of the money you receive through the game for hiring and training people for support or are you just using it to develop skins and other useless things that do not solve any of the various outstanding problems in the game?

EPIC!!! Thanks Jeff!! :D
Papa Jeff coming thru... thanks

what about adding a ready button for comp?

"Fewer than 200" is still a lot. And while it's great that you're working on a fix, what troubles me is that:
1. Apparently people have been reporting this bug since the beginning of September. It took a thread on the front page of OW subreddit with 10k upvotes for Blizzard to acknowledge and comment on the issue.
2. Blizzard's customer support is useless..? People said that contacting customer support has only resulted in them being told that customer support can't do anything. Shouldn't there be a way for CS employees to notify the developers that people are having certain issues with the game?