Can you implement PTR on the Arcade?

General Discussion
I think the main problem of the PTR is that you need to have two games installed.
Also having it on the arcade would give us boxes while we test the changes and you will receive far more feedbacks.
That would most likely be a technical mess, PTR changes could easily creep into Quickplay/Comp. That's why PTR is a separate install.
Custom games can change rules, like mayhem and such...
What makes so hard to implement PTR changes into the game?
10/11/2017 08:31 AMPosted by Grevier

The devs would have to update overwatch every time a new patch came to ptr, also the devs don't just change stats they have to code new abilites, heroes, maps, etc.
Actually this idea does have a hint of genuine appeal to it. One of the complaints the dev team makes is not enough people play the PTR changes so they don't have enough data. By incorporating into a popular game feature, the Arcade, more people will be trying out the changes and thus giving more data for them to see weak points in the balance changes, *cough cough* mercy *cough* bastion*cough cough* sorry, my finger slipped.
They can't, because it uses another build of the game. Even by implementing balance changes to a single mode, the repercussion of the bugs could spread throughout the entire game. And that's only part of the problem.

It's complicated.
It is literally hosted on another server.
10/11/2017 08:39 AMPosted by Ruseman
They can't, because it uses another build of the game. Even by implementing balance changes to a single mode, the repercussion of the bugs could spread throughout the entire game. And that's only part of the problem.

It's complicated.

came here to post this

from a technical standpoint, it's basically like asking for HOTS to become part of OW's arcade mode
10/11/2017 08:26 AMPosted by Grevier
I think the main problem of the PTR is that you need to have two games installed.
Also having it on the arcade would give us boxes while we test the changes and you will receive far more feedbacks.

Your idea is really cool but unfortunately the PTR version of Overwatch is a totally separate game that you need to have installed.
10/11/2017 09:20 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

Your idea is really cool but unfortunately the PTR version of Overwatch is a totally separate game that you need to have installed.
Surely it would be possible to have a mode in arcade where you can test just the balance updates in a manner that's kinda similar to the way you guys used to have a weekly brawl. I mean I can understand you guys not being able to have an arcade mode with the 'under the hood' changes or larger updates such as new maps and new heroes but surely testing out balance tweaks on the arcade would be possible. Or am I just being a numpty and not fully understanding what you mean because that is very much a possibility.
Pretty sure the reason it's a separate build of the game is because it often changes other things not related to game play.

Like UI elements, the rework of the Highlight feature, game options, etc
I play on consoles and I don't want to download new patches every week (I don't know why, but downloading on consoles is very slow)

If it's just a PC thing I have no problem with it
You never run test and live in the same machine/build/codebase.

10/11/2017 08:31 AMPosted by Grevier

PTR is test code. Not "changes".

thats definetely the best aproach i have seen to this issue, barring the technical difficulties and what not that would inevitably bring.
Love the idea. If it was feasible, I'd definitely want it to happen.
The main thing to note is that the PTR is a new build of the game and not just some data value tweak here and there.....code has been significantly changed both Client and Server side....

...that said, I do agree that playing PTR to get rewards would be a great thing and should actually be feasible since it can be account based.
dumb question but programming was never my thing...so, would it be possible to sync PTR and live profiles and cosmetics? like, the skins I get on PTR could transfer onto live? cause that would actually give people incentive to go on PTR and actually try...
10/11/2017 09:37 AMPosted by pirzzzzzzz01
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Surely it would be possible to have a mode in arcade where you can test just the balance updates in a manner that's kinda similar to the way you guys used to have a weekly brawl. I mean I can understand you guys not being able to have an arcade mode with the 'under the hood' changes or larger updates such as new maps and new heroes but surely testing out balance tweaks on the arcade would be possible. Or am I just being a numpty and not fully understanding what you mean because that is very much a possibility.

You completely ignored Jeff's answer.. furthermore, in your lengthy post, what you're asking for is exactly what the ptr is for.
It is not Blizzard's problem that you don't have enough hard disk space for a ptr install. Don't ask for some huge endeavor to essentially put the ptr on live servers.

Edit: and don't call the Game Director Shirley. ;)

he literally just said it's not possible... And they would have to have a game of same size inside of a game of the same size, it'd create countless bugs if it even was possible.

it's not just about testing balance updates, it is making sure new content is stable before being pushed to live. If anything live is used to test balance updates as not enough people use the ptr.