Is Whole Hog even useful?

General Discussion
Or am i using it horribly wrong? It seems like every character in the game can easily shut my fat !@#$ down.

Any tips on when/how to use it would be great.
09/16/2017 09:39 AMPosted by Deadwing
Or am i using it horribly wrong? It seems like every character in the game can easily shut my fat !@#$ down.

Any tips on when/how to use it would be great.

It goes against his current playstyle, but if you want it for kills, flank people in tight spots/against walls.

Or use it to keep people off teammates /points/payloads.

It's even good to counter ult with, just !@#$ someone up when they're coming at you. Or the funniest use it use it on a charging Reinhardt and watch him fly.
Whole Hog I've found is best used in conjunction with flankers or support. It can be situational though. I would see it being useful in Dives where you need one big push. I would say that it's great when you're focusing on healers as well. It's never been really a team wiping Ult if I remember unless you get the whole group into a corner, then it's really dangerous.
It's a little useful. It's okay, I guess, but it isn't a good ultimate.

You can push people around with it, and if you push people up against a wall they'll die in a decent amount of time. But you also lose your ability to self-heal and stun, but keep your giant hitbox, so it leaves you vulnerable.
I use it to clear the point, or to kill several people in a small room

If I'm feeling super mean then I'll use it to single-handily destroy Rein's shield
It's kind of crap, but it can still net you kills and do its job.

One neat way to use it is to whole hog after hooking someone. You can kill almost anything that way, and the few things you can't (like an ulting winston) go flying far enough that they're not a threat for a while.

You can also build pressure on enemy shields, then shoot them through (or after the shield breaks) and they go flying as well.

As for not getting shut down, there's honestly not a lot you can do. Don't hit the deflect, try to make sure D.Va is demeched first, and try to make sure the enemy's major stuns like sleep dart and Flashbang aren't available. Whole hog works well in concert with Zarya because whole hogging people in a graviton does insane damage and Zarya can bubble you to protect you from CC.
Its CC shouldn't be doubted. You can get mad environmental kills on maps like Illios Lighthouse and first point Route 66. (Which is better than just killing people as they can't be rezzed from it.) It's great for breaking shields and for tight spaces. It's a hard ultimate to use for most but you should be aiming for headshots for maximum damage. You'll WASTE people, especially Orisa.
Go after low HP or 200 HP heroes. Try using Whole Hog near a ledge to get those environmental kills.

If you are near a ledge then use it to trap people in a corner.
I guess a lot of people are using it wrong.

if you are whole hogging to get a bunch of kills, dont.

if you are using whole hog to clear a point, do.

if you are using whole hog to disrupt the other team opening them up to your team, do.

if you are using whole hog to clear shields for the rest of your team, do.

if you are using whole hog to push a bunch of people off a cliff, you should have done that yesterday what are you waiting for.
Whole hog itself does a mountain of damage, as much as 4700 damage if he hits you with the whole... hog. It's great for busting barriers and punishing huge/slow targets, especially if you can corner people and mash them into a wall so the knockback doesn't save them.

It charges fast enough these days you can realistically just whip it out whenever you run out of scrap gun shots and you still have enemies to deal with. You either kill them (great) or throw them so far away you have time to reload (also great).

Also fun to note: Reinhardt and Lucio can't ult until they touch the ground. Whole hog prevents this for a long time...
I'd say it's middle-of-the-road myself.

Sure, you probably aren't going to get many kills with it outside of bottomless pit shenanigans, but it's great for breaking down barriers or forcing people off a point.
it's great I get a lot of kills with it. If you can track their head level while they get blown away it does a ton of damage. If you save it for overtime when your team has control it's very easy to secure a win.
Against an ulting Winston it's fun.

*monkey jumps in*

*gets pushed away*

*monkey jumps in*

*gets pushed away*

*monkey jumps in*

*gets pushed away*

:P
Whole Hog is okay. Not the best Ult (on it's own), but it's still nothing to sneeze at. I use it as either: A way for your team to be able to push in or attack/block the enemy's attack (like most Tank Ults), as a way to get some kills with insane DPS (or shredding Tanks and Barriers), or Hooking someone then popping it, sending them flying and disoriented. Also, if you accidentally use it when a fight's over or a match is done, just point up and run.

Side note, I often forget you can't heal and get 50% damage reduction, so you kinda become an instant target.
If the enemy is Grav'd, an you go whole hog, team kill. That thing has, what, 1000 DPS, excluding headshots? You have to be very close, but anything that doesn't get knocked away WILL die (ie Fortifed Orisa, anyone Grav'd, trapped enemies, stuck in a corner).

Also, if you hook a target, and as soon as the hook connects, cancel the animation with your Ultimate. It will pull the enemy in just as you begin firing, dealing MASSIVE damage and seemingly sending them to the opposite side of the universe.

Also, environmental kills for days :)

09/16/2017 10:01 AMPosted by MoarDakka
Against an ulting Winston it's fun.

*monkey jumps in*

*gets pushed away*

*monkey jumps in*

*gets pushed away*

*monkey jumps in*

*gets pushed away*

:P

This lol. It's soo true, though.
Whole Hog is good for clearing a point and counter ulting enemy ults to ruin their effectiveness. Also, it will sound scum-baggy, but I will use it to solo ult people. My favorite targets are Ulting Winstons, Ulting Genji (turn when he deflects, you're trying to bait him to do that), charging Reinhardts, high energy Zarya's that won't die, Mei's who try to stall, and basically any Reaper who thinks he can just walk up to me solo and get away with it. All of that sounds like scummy things to do, but I feel like part of playing Roadhog is to be a scumbag. Playing Tank is a mind game, and Roadhog does it by making people tilt and start focusing him. You're gonna look like the evil one on the server, but you can't always win by being the nice guy.
09/16/2017 09:52 AMPosted by Honchkrow
Its CC shouldn't be doubted. You can get mad environmental kills on maps like Illios Lighthouse and first point Route 66. (Which is better than just killing people as they can't be rezzed from it.) It's great for breaking shields and for tight spaces. It's a hard ultimate to use for most but you should be aiming for headshots for maximum damage. You'll WASTE people, especially Orisa.

Oh man, against Orisa is the best. I remember on the PTR when she was barely released and she fortified into my ultimate. We both learned very quickly that being knocked away by Hog's ultimate is a far superior fate to tanking the full damage at point blank.
In my opinion, if you're using it simply for kills: then you're not using it properly. You should be looking to deny people access to the teamfight and objective. Area denial. It has an incredbily powerful knockback. That said, it can net easy kills if you manage to use it with Graviton or catch people in corners.
It's pretty good at clear a point solo but I wouldn't use it to try and secure kills do to the massive knock back from it. There are some exceptions though like using it to blow people off a cliff or wall pin in a corner or combo it with graviton as the pull from that cancels the knock back. Whole hog packs a lot of damage but using it for kills only works in a handful of situations. Your main goal should be clearing an area. Kills are like a nice bonus.
I love Hog's ult. So many people expect any ult to secure a ton of kills on its own, yet forget that Zarya, Rein, Orisa, and every support have ults that don't secure kills on their own. Hog has a great CC ult that also has the ability to get easy kills in the right situations. The problem is that using it with the intent of getting kills as the primary objective will just leave you vulnerable.