climbing as a tank, is it possible

Competitive Discussion
10/07/2017 12:53 PMPosted by grambler
Is it possible to climb as a tank or healer?

Yes it is possible learning the tank roles and what they can do will take you fare
It's possible, but only very easy for like around 1% of players as they just have a unique talent to overcome half of the toxic situations that cause 5v6, 4v6 and so on (talking about deliberate de-rankers, leavers, throwers, dps insta-locks who suck, basically the usual toxic causes for losing a third or more of matches these days).
from wat i've seen from my games the biggest cause for defeat is bad tank play, if ur dps don't have the space to move and get their position ur at a huge disavantage.while the bigest carrys i've had where a)mega snipers b)mega tanks
also its rly hard to find someone thats actually good at tanking and i would be trilled if there where more tank mains
Winston is a good climber....

Being a monkey and all

i get only about 15-28 sr for winning on zarya with 3 golds

so i dont know
I have climbed from bronze to plat in 2 seasons, mostly playing Rein and some Zen.
It's frustrating, more than anything.
I still play them, but next season I'm going dps, just not worth it.
10/08/2017 03:02 AMPosted by MANAIA

Being a monkey and all

dang! beat me to it.
10/08/2017 03:02 AMPosted by MANAIA

Being a monkey and all

Wakka, wakka, wakka, Fozzy.

I'm told it's possible. But I'm a support main. Unless I'm teamed up with people who win instead of troll or threaten everyone over voice chat, I'm not getting out of bronze.
One word.
W I N S T O N .
10/07/2017 01:26 PMPosted by grambler
10/07/2017 01:22 PMPosted by Butterland
I've seen a Rein one-trick with previous seasons GM. He was doing work.

Great charges, lots of Shatters.

That what I means. You have to be super aggressive and leaving your support and dps without an shield. Because if you use your shield and your dps does work you won't get any sr.

Great charges and shatters doesn't mean you don't protect your team.
Taimou, a dps main (who happens to be sick with Hog) has said in an interview that he believes Tanks are the true carry in this game.

A tank creates space for the dps to operate which will help even poor dps perform better. A tank also peels for his team, especially for his support. You're basically enabling everyone to do their role more easily/effectively and some tanks can be seen as pseudo dps as well (high charge zarya, hog for example).

If you've ever mained dps and been on a team with terrible tanks who don't know how/when to engage and create zero space for you, then you know how vital a solid tank is to a team.

That being said, YES a tank can "carry" and thus climb.
You can't find good tanks below diamond because they've all climbed out. Making space and protecting your team is a pretty important game-winning skill.
You can't climb as a tank or support main. At least not in solo. Just too many idiots that think they can dps. I like playing tank but there is no point to it anymore. I'm almost always teamed with bad dps or bad healers. I have had more trash teams than good ones.

Yes.

I flipped out last season and dropped into the low 1800s. Then i Picked up Reinhart, played him like a wild barbarian and got up to 2400-something.

All those DPS mains that would rather play 5dps one healer needs a tank to keep their idiot asses alive.
yea its possible but its probably easier to just play a dps until diamond at which point you can switch to tank and climb based on your winrate vs your performance
It's possible just a little harder. Support and tanks are roles that are usually filled last. It's honestly best to just duo queue as a tank main and a support main so those roles are always filled. Otherwise, it's probably faster to just DPS until you get to the higher ranks.
Master tank here.

/wave.

SoloQ 99% of my games.

For sure! I climbed from low plat to almost diamond by picking up tanks. In almost 2 days. As long as you are good. You got it
I logged in just to upvote this. Thanks for making me laugh at these descriptions.

10/07/2017 01:28 PMPosted by Adam
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Finally someone who willing to yall about it.
I have two account. One dps and another tank. Tank one have the higher win % but stuck in elo hell. The dps one climb 1000 sr. How is this possible?

That's called making a smurf account.. They always almost start higher. This is my main and I have to play like Jesus Christ to keep it in masters. On my smurf I can play like a chicken nugget and maintain gm.

Welcome to overwatch's mmr system but it has nothing to do with playing tank vs dps. The same people telling you that you can only climb as dps are the same people instalocking 4 dps and being slaughtered
I've been a tank/healer main for... 4 ish seasons now. Placed 1800 first time I played comp, now comfortably in mid diamond (when I actually play and don't decay of course). Climbing is definitely possible, you just have to focus on self improvement rather than your teams.