Activison patents a rigged matchmaking system

Competitive Discussion
In other games, the matchmaking is defined in a way, that the other players (opponents and/or allies) must be of similar or equal skill. In Overwatch I don't see these words being mentioned.
Instead, what you get here in Overwatch is "matches that we think you have 50% chance to win".
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753625906?page=1#post-13
The MMR is invisible for some reason, unlike in World of WarCraft where you can see your MMR:
http://imgur.com/a/AWB1N

Not it turns out, that Activision was granted a patent for what essentially is a rigged matchmaking:
https://archive.is/N8wdV#selection-1175.0-1181.46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZQZQDNk40

What it basically does is, that it matches noobs with better payers. The idea is to expose the noob to an awesome players in an attempt to trick the noob to try and emulate the awesome players. And by emulate they don't mean for the noob to learn how to play from the better player. By emulate what they mean is for the noob to purchase the same in-game item (weapon, skin or whatever) that the awesome player is using.

I watched several videos on the matter and what does annoy me, is that some people really don't understand, that just because a patent was granted recently, that does not mean, that the system wasn't already tested or in an already existing game, so that there can be a proof of concept.

The way I see it, there have been some interesting things, that might indicate, that there might be something similar in Overwatch:

1. There have been cases in Overwatch, where people end up in completely different leagues after buying a new account. People speculate, that this is due to the matchmaking rating (MMR, which for some reason we can't see), but could it be simply, because the new account simply does not have as many unlocks as the old one, so the player get's matched with better players?

2. From what I see on these forums, a lot of people complain, that sometimes they have to break their backs to try and carry a game and the teammates are simply not on the level. I have seen such instances in my games as well.

3. You get a game with multiple people maining the exact same character. It matches the idea of "identify player, that might wanna become good at some character, match him with another player, that is already really good at said character, so that the first might try and emulate the 2nd by buying the same skin"... and this is how you get with three Mercy mains in the same game :P

Food for thought...
My teammates are always better than me...

No, wait, it's the other way around, i can carry with one hand unless theres a smurf on the other team. I have no clue of what you talking about, get off the tinfoil it's bad for your health!
Everybody head over to my place. I have plenty of tin foil in my pantry. We can all make hats and discuss this in safety without Jeff hearing our thoughts.
Well said, thanks for weighing in on this! Let me link to your post from mine about the same problem with competitive matchmaking/MMR .
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Activision is going to be the slow, painful death of Blizzard. Ever since they took complete control in '13. It's going to be slow because of the decades worth of good-faith that Blizzard has built up, but the greed from all of the Activision shareholders is going to eventually bring Blizzards downfall and it's a damn shame.
10/18/2017 10:53 AMPosted by Sofrito
but the greed from all of the Activision shareholders is going to eventually bring Blizzards downfall

Let's hope not. But you nailed it. They are already tied together. Veteran players want to be put with veteran players, not new players. Otherwise give that veteran player some incentive for helping advertise said purchased items.
10/18/2017 10:46 AMPosted by Metsik
We talked about this a bit yesterday.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759159335

Totally, and I've indexed that thread from mine as well <3 The more feedback Blizzard gets on this the more hope we have for change.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Activision is going to be the slow, painful death of Blizzard. Ever since they took complete control in '13. It's going to be slow because of the decades worth of good-faith that Blizzard has built up, but the greed from all of the Activision shareholders is going to eventually bring Blizzards downfall and it's a damn shame.

I feel validated to be in agreement with you kind forum folks, who are paying close attention. I didn't even realize Activision was involved.
But Scott literally says the opposite of what you're proposing. The system doesn't put you into matches based on streaks. If you are at the appropriate SR level and your opponents are as well, you should have a roughly 50% winirate. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

Anyone arguing that the system is broken is succumbing to their own cognitive bias. There is zero evidence that the system works the way you present. None. All you have is anecdotes, like "I just had to carry 10 games in a row because I keep getting matched with terribads, plz fix!!!"
Capitalism at its best...
10/18/2017 10:28 AMPosted by Noxifer

What it basically does is, that it matches noobs with better payers. The idea is to expose the noob to awesome players in an attempt to trick them to try and emulate the awesome players. And by emulate they don't mean for the noob to learn how to play from the better player. By emulate what they mean is for the noob to purchase the same in-game item (weapon, skin or whatever).

I did not expect lootboxes to place me higher. Makes you think
I am honestly flabbergasted by this....

Capitalists can't make sales fairly...

Patents a system that pisses on the company name...With some sprinkling on Blizzard of course.
with current SR/MMR system, depending on you real skill and current SR:
1) if you real skill is 2 levels higher (roughly) than you current SR, you will easily climb out but you need to carry each game;
2) if you real skill is 1 levels higher (roughly) than you current SR, it is very hard to level up even you try hard to carry;
3) if you real skill is 0.5 levels better than you current SR or just little bit better than average players at your SR, you will easily climb up. And you don't need to carry each games. Actually it is best positions for players.
4) if you real skill is just the same as average players at your SR, in principle you cannot climb. However if you lucky enough...
10/18/2017 11:04 AMPosted by Nyin
Capitalism at its best...

10/18/2017 11:27 AMPosted by GhostGun
I am honestly flabbergasted by this....

Capitalists can't make sales fairly...

To be honest, I don't think the problem lies with capitalism.
Businesses are subject to rules and regulations even under capitalistic model.

I think the problem lies with the specific industry.

This is pretty spot on.
Hey guys, lets all get trolled and click on external links that are questionable.

You are being baited. Close the thread
full on rigged.. this game is soo bad..

yesterday win all day, today lose all day.. super fun rigged play.. it doesnt even matter what you play.
Did a google search and the only thing that was patented is the marketing strategy of in game loot. Frankly, I didn't even know such a thing could be patented. Basically what the patent says is the company can use decoy 'players' with highly upgraded digital content/loot, and show it off to noobs to get them to want to make a purchase.

Its like that guy in WoW who has all the epic gear that stands in the middle of Orgrimmar just to flaunt it off, then you realize you have to go do raids 8 hours a day for 2 months to get the same loot. Only this way, the loot costs real money. So their either going to incorporate a new kind of 'pay to win' digital property or cosmetic items
To clarify on this, Activision has released a disclaimer to many of the article floating around about it that this patient was filed as part of a experimental research and development team and not developed by any game studio. It is not part of or planned to be part of any Activision or Blizzard game at this time.
10/18/2017 01:30 PMPosted by WyomingMyst
To clarify on this, Activision has released a disclaimer to many of the article floating around about it that this patient was filed as part of a experimental research and development team and not developed by any game studio. It is not part of or planned to be part of any Activision or Blizzard game at this time.

The system is already in play in mobile games, so I'm not sure how such a thing can be patented. It seems to already be widely in use.